1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yota's 2014 SR5 TSS slow build

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by yota, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Nov 7, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    houserco

houserco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory Michael
    Vehicle:
    2016 Grey Tundra TSS
    None... yet.

BTW - is that the Spyder headlamps you're running? What light bar did you stealth mount? I'm impatiently waiting on Headlight Revolution's 32" stealth kit for $500 as it puts out about 300 watts and a bit more lumen count than the Zombie 30" I've been eying out. Again, patience is definitely not one of my virtues. I like the look of your lights. I went with some GTR LED's in the stock setup as I could go either way on the DRL LED's. I just want visibility and to tell other drivers to "Pound Sand" when cutting me off. :)

2. Nov 7, 2015 at 7:54 AM
    yota

yota [OP] TEXAS TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South east Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra TSS crew
    No problem man, can't wait to see your truck, I'm sure it's gonna be awesome. What color is it? And are having them install the light bar, if not your gonna have to do some cutting to run the switch wires and possibly some of your dash depending on what kinda switch you go with I had to do cutting to mount my switch and you have to cut through the rubber garment that holds your trucks wireing at the firewall.
    image.jpg

3. Nov 7, 2015 at 7:59 AM
    yota

yota [OP] TEXAS TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South east Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra TSS crew
    And not sure on the headlights your going with, but the big drawback on mine that I dislike is I lost control of the headlight adjustment on the dash. I'm looking at different options for headlights. Maybe going back stock and just renting them. Not sure yet, but other driver hate me because the lights are to high, looks like I have brights on when I don't.

4. Nov 7, 2015 at 8:10 AM
    houserco

houserco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory Michael
    Vehicle:
    2016 Grey Tundra TSS
    None... yet.
    Yeah. Although, that's my goal. :). I hate traffic and drivers in DFW. Not really. I'll likely keep stock, but I ordered GTR's Gen 2 LED's leaving as-is (5k or 6k, I can't remember). They have a pretty cost effective option that also allows for bulb shields ($2 bucks) so you can change the color adhoc. I'm not big on purple or weird stuff and my only goal is for illumination at night. Those were about $189 and are a simple swap out for the stock bulbs. The only downside I can see, is the high beams aren't real impressive.

For the light bar, I'm thinking of doing the 32" one from Headlight Revolution. It's about $500 and puts out 300 watts plus it comes with the harness and halo switch. I've got a good fish and wire integrator for pushing through the firewall grommet. I've done a few stereo installs in my vehicles in the past and that wire push for getting through the firewall grommet works great (for $30) and I've used it time and time again for running things to the cab. You just have to make sure you lube it with WD40 so it goes through easily. Check out headlightrevolution.com for some of his video's. They're super helpful and applicable for about any type of lighting installation. Plus, their products seem to be of pretty good quality for the money. I expect to punch out the blank in the dash, use a pin push to mark the center spot on the back and drill out an even hole for the Halo switch. My problem is, I want to install the stealth light bar such as yours, then later (or sooner) add the NFab light bar mount and another 30" bar on the bumper. I want to individually control each so I can manage the amount f light I'm pushing through someones back window. :)

My 2016 is the Metallic Grey or whatever it's called. I dig that dark color without going all black since I'll be in no mood to wash my truck twice a week.

5. Nov 7, 2015 at 8:17 AM
    houserco

houserco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory Michael
    Vehicle:
    2016 Grey Tundra TSS
    None... yet.
    BTW, what light bar did you run? Headlight Revolution has me on the waiting list, but I'm fairly impatient. My only concern with purchasing a 30" Zombie was ensuring I could stealth mount it behind the grill and I wasn't sure if they custom fabricated their mounts for that specific effort (stealth). I think theirs is 32" (link included) but the nice part is it's about 27,000 lumen and 300 watts. Most others I've seen (without getting into the $1-2k mark) were about 180 watts and around 14,000 lumen.

I really like your stealth mount though behind the TRD Pro Grill. I've been wondering how that would look vs the current grill. Looks pretty damn nice which means I'll be pulling the trigger on painting the chrome bumper (paint matched) and either grabbing the Pro grill or painting the stock one. I'm not a big chrome guy. Thanks again man.

http://www.headlightrevolution.com/Tundra_LED_Light_Bar_p/tundra-ledbarkit1416.htm

yota[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Nov 7, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    yota

yota [OP] TEXAS TUNDRA

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South east Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra TSS crew
    Yes mine are the spyder headlights. As for the LED bar it's a cheap knock off brand LED Bar, as I don't plan on using it on a daily basis and I'm cheap, lol. I went to Amazon and ordered mine, spent like $60. I actually bout the 30" led bar, two flush mound led's, two wireing harnesses, and two switches for like $180. They are bright as any other led bar I've shined against, and at that price I can replace mine several time if it goes out and still save a ton. There was no special mount just drilled holes in metal brace behind the grille.

7. Nov 7, 2015 at 3:10 PM
    houserco

houserco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory Michael
    Vehicle:
    2016 Grey Tundra TSS
    None... yet.
    Yeah. I'm sure there's a difference somewhere in there, but I agree. Of all the $$$ that you can spend, unless you're an off road junkie that depends on the durability and longevity along with warranty on the bars, I'm not sure it matters aside from watts/lumen output. I was actually pretty unimpressed with my Tundra's stock headlamps so an LED upgrade was immediately necessary IMO. I'm 2000% good with irritating drivers on many roads as about 85% which I've encountered shouldn't be operating a Tricycle let alone a vehicle.

8. Nov 7, 2015 at 3:13 PM
    houserco

houserco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory Michael
    Vehicle:
    2016 Grey Tundra TSS
    None... yet.
    Just got my truck back from my ProComp nitro lift. Stock aside from that. I'm patiently waiting on some new tires. Just curious how fat and tall I can go. :)

TruckLife900 and mdavis like this.
  9. Jan 20, 2016 at 9:16 AM
    Emily

Emily New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Emily
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4
    Weathertech mats, Line-x bed liner, 5% tint
    If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay to get your bumper caps painted? Im looking to do the same for mine.

10. Jan 24, 2016 at 1:17 PM
    jfrd30

jfrd30 Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of My Way

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Tundra
    Just did that last night to my beast!

Products Discussed in

To Top