1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yes/no questions for 2nd gen to 3rd gen owners.

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by borntostun, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Jan 15, 2022 at 7:20 AM
    borntostun

borntostun [OP] New Member

Member:
    Some yes/no questions for 3rd gen owners who have also owned a 2nd gen.

I’m thinking of getting back into a Tundra, but geez I’ve loved the 2nd gen before and worry about these aspects of the 3rd gen.

1. Does the 3rd gen crew max cabin space feel smaller?
    2. Does the 3rd gen steering feel better or worse? (I tend to have liked the feedback of the steering in 2nd gen).
    3. I’m tall. The width and depth of the 1794 seats are legendarily good. Add on top the seat extension feature. Are the 3rd gen seats the same size and features?
    4. 3rd gen legroom? Better or worse?
    5. Rear seat under storage - as much as it’s nice to have, it appears rigid and non-removable making it less than ideal for those dog and all rear seats up moments. Rear seat storage in 3rd gen better?

Thanks all.

Acedude likes this.
  2. Jan 15, 2022 at 12:40 PM
    bigjuice

bigjuice Researching and collecting parts…

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM Crew Max SR5
    1. Yes

2. Better (more nimble/more ‘electronic’)

3. No…but I went from CrewMax SR5 to CrewMax SR5 so can’t answer for 1974). Lost a bit of ‘base’ features and proportions but it’s not terrible

4. Just ‘slightly worse’ than 2nd but cavernous by comparable standards…again it’s not terrible (though I heard it’s noticeable in the double cab)

5. Yes…it’s standard though rigid as mentioned…but nice to have if wanted and not needing to have to go out and find one.

Good Luck

3. Jan 15, 2022 at 1:42 PM
    Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Member:
    One thing to note is the rear seat head room. The dealer received their Limited CrewMax demo with sunroof a week before my SR5 OffRoad CrewMax (no sunroof) came in so I had chance to sit in both.

With the sunroof my 6’3” frame would not fit in the back of the Limited. My head was into the roof.

In my SR5 (no sunroof) I fit provided I had a haircut.

The seating appears to be “stadium” with the rear seats are slightly higher than the front. I think the spec shows a 2”-3” difference (I can’t remember for sure) between sunroof and none.

I have wacked my head a number of times getting into the ‘22 yet after doing that a couple dozen times I have adjusted. My previous 4 tundras were all double cab. I am glad I did not get another double cab after seeing the lack of space in the rear.

The storage works good with seats down. No covers on the storage with the seats up so uncomfortable for the dog.

Acedude likes this.
  4. Jan 15, 2022 at 3:41 PM
    borntostun

borntostun [OP] New Member

Member:
    OK, thanks for the replies so far . . . I have to admit, am I crazy to be leaning towards getting another 2nd gen?

Terndrerrr likes this.
  5. Jan 15, 2022 at 4:36 PM
    slowpokepete

slowpokepete New No More

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Hillsdale, NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 Blue Tundra DC 4x4 SR5
    No.

SPP

Terndrerrr, Acedude and 2mchfun like this.
  6. Jan 15, 2022 at 4:45 PM
    Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Member:
    A 2nd gen will be reliable. Almost had a 5th Tundra 2nd gen.

I had a 2021 on order for last October delivery and had an opportunity to get a 2022 instead with a CrewMax and 6.5 bed if I waited a couple more months so I took that offer. I will let you know in a few months if I made the right choice. Need to see if Toyota updates their software issues and the turbos do what they are supposed to do.

7. Jan 15, 2022 at 9:11 PM
    usfdrohead

usfdrohead New Member

Member:
    Man this input on the interior feeling smaller bothers me, and with the rear legroom being less. My biggest concern is that rear headroom. The video I saw it was clear it was so close .

8. Jan 15, 2022 at 9:37 PM
    HBV2017

HBV2017 New Member

Member:
    1. It does feel a bit smaller in the CrewMax cabin. The back row seems to have lost about 1.5” of legroom space, but I haven’t actually measured. The space across the cabin in the back feels the same.

2. I think the new steering feels much more precise compared to my 2020 Tundra.

3. I haven’t had any issues with the new seats; I find them to be comfortable.
    For reference, I’m 6’1” and 250 lbs.

4. Legroom feels diminished compared to the 2020, but still plenty for my application.

5. Standard and rigid.

Even with some of the shortcomings of the 2022, I’m still pleased with it compared to my 2020.

9. Jan 16, 2022 at 9:29 PM
    jimfish98

jimfish98 Shorty

Member:
    1-It feels about the same, maybe larger. My FIL is a round guy, about 6ft tall and he is as comfy in the back as he is in the front.
    2- Slightly better
    3- I am 6'5 and I am more than comfy in hip, head, shoulder, and leg room. I am not sure how much has changed, but if my giant ass is comfy then that says a lot.
    4- Feels better, not sure on the actual change in dimensions
    5- The main molding is rigid, the inserts can be removed or adjusted. I have 2 large umbrellas, two first aid kits, a few things of ropes, jumpers, some rags, and god knows what else in there. It fits great, still have plenty of room to spare. Can't hear anything shifting in there if it is.

Products Discussed in

To Top