1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter driving!.... or... Winter driving?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by panicman, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Nov 16, 2018 at 7:52 AM
    panicman

panicman [OP] Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    newb question-

This will be my first winter with my 18 tundra. Mostly I drive around the outskirts of Portland, so occasional snow and ice, some hills, etc...
    but I will probably go up Mt Hood, and I will drive around the state a bit for the holidays.

Am I likely to need chains? I assume that with the Tundra’s 4WD I’ll be ok on decent tires. But, I don’t want to risk getting stranded or in an unnecessary fender benders.

I am a reformed sedan driver, so I am very used to carrying chains and having snow tires if I needed them.

2. Nov 16, 2018 at 8:00 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
  3. Nov 16, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    As you know, ice is the big problem here in the Portland area, and the stock Michelins don't do too great in the ice. If you have to drive in the ice I would either get some chains or some winter tires. When we got that mini storm last Christmas Eve I had to do some driving and it definitely got a little slippery, even in 4x4.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  4. Nov 16, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    KMG

KMG New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Yacolt, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Limited DC 4x4 TRD
    BFG KO2s, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Firestone RideRite Air Bags, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Trail Ridge Extendable Towing Mirrors
    You shouldn't need chains. 4WD with good AT tires is plenty.

5. Nov 16, 2018 at 8:18 AM
    RustyPNW

RustyPNW New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra SR5 CM TRD
    5100 middle setting, stock rears
    I've been up Mt. Hood in my Tundra, specifically hard pack snow up to Timberline Road. No issues whatsoever, driving slow and cautious is key. Road crews do a fairly good job keeping that area sanded and plowed.

6. Nov 16, 2018 at 9:59 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I have not needed chains yet. But I have them just in case. You know the saying. Better to have.....

7. Nov 16, 2018 at 10:03 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Between 4x4 and studded Nokian Hakkapellita tires I figure I could drive up a frozen waterfall. :D

8. Nov 16, 2018 at 11:12 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Black ice is the absolute worst for getting around during the winter.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  9. Nov 16, 2018 at 11:15 AM
    18Cement

18Cement New Member

Member:
    Olympic Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra Limited
    5100's on all fours Icon rear leaf Fuel Vector 20" Nitto Ridge Grapplers 305/55/R20 Leer Shell
    I'm in Tahoe. Live on a steep street. I just got my studded snow tires put on today. Now let it snow.

TheBeast likes this.
  10. Nov 16, 2018 at 11:20 AM
    panicman

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like cables will get the job done, and I think snow tires would be overkill for my locale.

Thank you all for the input!!

And always good to get extra advice from Mike!

15whtrd likes this.
  11. Nov 16, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    goffredo

goffredo Grease Nipple

Member:
    Lake Tahoe, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Double Cab Magnetic Gray
    I live in an area that gets an average of about 450" of snow a year, usually as multiday dumps of 2-6 feet, 5-6 times a winter. My BFG AT tires do great in deep fresh powder, I have no need for chains nor studs.

After a storm, the roads turn to hard packed ice from the endless hoards of people driving on them with chains up to the ski hills, and the ATs do fine on these as well, though I do keep two 60-pound sand bags over each rear wheel (240# total) otherwise I find the back end can slide out. Due to the nature of our climate here, this ice tends to melt away after a few days and the roads clear up.

The only reason I would get studs is if I was regularly exposed to a sketchy icy hill. For example, living up a sketch driveway, or working at an area that a sketchy hill. By sketchy, I mean, steep enough to lose traction driving down. I can usually negotiate these just fine by crawling and my ATs have enough grip, but if I had to do it twice a day, the odds are very high that I'd lose out against the friction war, and end up in the ditch.

When I lived in Fargo, the streets were wind-polished ice. Even though there were no hills, studded tires (and block heaters) were a must -- again, because of regular exposure to super icy conditions. When I lived in the Burlington / Montréal area, freezing rain and ice storms were somewhat common due to the proximity of cold arctic fronts meeting with humid storms rolling up the east coast -- the classic nor'easter -- and I simply didn't drive anywhere after an ice storm. I mean, I couldn't even walk out my front door to my truck.

In summary, as someone who has lived in extremely snowy climates most of his life, I would say, ATs are probably fine, unless you live or work on a super icy hill, in which case you might look into studs. Regardless, I highly recommend putting sand bags in the bed over your rear wheels in the winter. I don't carry chains -- I carry a shovel and an overnight kit. If conditions are bad enough to warrant full R3 chains (mandatory chains on all wheels), I pull over and park. It's simply too dangerous to be driving in those conditions, sometimes you have to be humbled and let nature do its thing.

Here's my Taco with 33" BFG ATs doing just fine after a little dump.

SodaSpringsSnow2.jpg

12. Nov 16, 2018 at 7:25 PM
    panicman

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Goffredo- cool picture!

I don’t think I’ll see any snow like that!!

Mountun Goat likes this.
  13. Nov 16, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Mother Nature house insulation...

Boosted4runner and Mountun Goat like this.
  14. Nov 16, 2018 at 7:38 PM
    Mountun Goat

Mountun Goat She baaaaaahd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    EhBerta, Canadia
    Vehicle:
    It’s a Goat.
    :eek2:Wtf!! Cool!!

Boosted4runner likes this.
  15. Nov 16, 2018 at 9:36 PM
    goffredo

goffredo Grease Nipple

Member:
    Lake Tahoe, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Double Cab Magnetic Gray
    Yeah, except zero daylight through the windows is kind of a bummer! It's literally a cave.

Mountun Goat likes this.
  16. Nov 17, 2018 at 1:10 AM
    Boosted4runner

Boosted4runner Join the NRA please.

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD Tundra, Kings, 5.7, 2018 front end
    Resi Kings, 35” Trail Grapplers on 18” Methods, ICON Delta Upper Arms, Front-Runner bed rack, Yakima SkyBox16, 2018 honeycomb grill, 2018 LED headlights, plastidipped bumper covers
    Sweet post and killer picture!!

OP - I’m local PDX (somewhat) as well - and it all depends on how comfortable you are in your vehicle - and your area.
    Every location is different and knowing your limits is the ticket.
    I knew the last 20 years in my 4runner, I’d tackle almost anything, as long as it wasn’t a 1/2 mile long ice-hill going downward. When Portland was shut-down for 9 days about 4 years back (known as the “snowpocalypse”), I was commuting no problem daily from Ridgefield to Portland. And I was moving waaaaay quicker than when traffic was normally bumper-to-bumper without snow.
    Heading up to Mt. Hood - if you’re not running Durratracs or “snowflake” rated tires, State Patrol will require you carry chains. And I’d recommend it. (Even though I ran a FWD Subaru up there for 8 years without great tires or chains).
    They’ll stop and check you nowadays.

Juanjoolio007 likes this.
  17. Nov 17, 2018 at 1:15 AM
    Boosted4runner

Boosted4runner Join the NRA please.

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC MGM TRD Tundra, Kings, 5.7, 2018 front end
    Resi Kings, 35” Trail Grapplers on 18” Methods, ICON Delta Upper Arms, Front-Runner bed rack, Yakima SkyBox16, 2018 honeycomb grill, 2018 LED headlights, plastidipped bumper covers
    Oh, P.S. - you’re now in a 5,000 lb tank, not a 3,000 lb car. The level of stopping distance in almost every situation, is waaaaay different.
    Keep that in mind.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  18. Nov 17, 2018 at 3:48 AM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    Yes you will be “required” to carry chains if you go over the pass or up to Mt Hood.

If you didn’t know Les Schwab will sell you a set now and in like March or April refund you the money if you don’t use them.

Going out on a limb here... you are not from Portland.

This x 1000! I have 35’s. They only had chains when I went. I can’t remember the cost maybe $100-150. I was going to return them but got stuck on ice on Timberline road after stopping to offer to yank out a couple of those AWD Subaru WRX’s that we’re stuck in the ditch(on the wrong side of the road).
    I ended up using them because it was way cheaper and smarter to just own those chains for ever then to try and wait for someone with enough traction to pull me like 5 feet enough to get off that patch of ice.

I didn’t quote that long post with the super cool picture.... but do this. Every time he mentions “super sketchy or super icy” insert Portland. If that doesn’t convince you I don’t know what will.
    Congrats on the Tundra and Welcome from Sherwood.

15whtrd[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Nov 17, 2018 at 3:56 AM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Oh one last saved round...your 4wd won’t engage if your front tires don’t have traction. So if your say heading to Timberline and you turn off 26 and it’s clear but 2 miles up the road it’s icy switch it before you think you need it. Your 4wd light will just flash at you other wise.

NewImprovedRon and 15whtrd like this.
  20. Nov 17, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    KMG

KMG New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Yacolt, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Limited DC 4x4 TRD
    BFG KO2s, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Firestone RideRite Air Bags, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Trail Ridge Extendable Towing Mirrors
    No I live in the midwest where we get more snow and ice than Portland. I use to live in Vancouver, WA and know about the weather in your area.

21. Nov 17, 2018 at 10:27 AM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    It’s not just the weather. Though since you are familiar with the area and it’s “micro climates” or whatever the heck it’s called then you know that the conditions change or can change every couple of miles even on the same road in town.
    It’s a two part problem and it’s the people you have to watch out for too. I doubt as a whole Portland is improving and a few years ago we were rated 47 out of 50 of the worst cities to drive in or drivers which ever it was. 50 being the worst.
    So I carry them(only used once) just in case cause you never know what’s going to happen.

KMG[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top