1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windows 11....thoughts?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Tundra234, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Jul 9, 2021 at 5:41 PM
    tightywhitey

tightywhitey New Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra CREWMAX - Louisiana Edition
    I do think winders is actually getting a little better. Edge is built on chromium. If they actually start using a Linux/Unix kernel, they may actually have something. As a software developer, most vendors I deal with are exclusively Mac.

2. Jul 9, 2021 at 6:09 PM
    Kung

Kung [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    Yeah, that kept us busy for, oh, 20 minutes at work. (15 minutes to write up a quick PowerShell script to poll our servers - not counting print servers lol - for the Print Spooler, and stop/disable it if running; and 5 minutes to run it, if that.)

3. Jul 9, 2021 at 6:10 PM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    Yep; TPM 2.0 w/Secure Boot on a Lenovo Thinkpad T480s.

4. Jul 13, 2021 at 10:55 AM
    vl184009

vl184009 Cheers Boys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicky
    Southern, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM CM SR5 4x4 w/Tow Pkg
    Ok gentleman and the few ladies that are on this site, I am really hoping for some educated suggestions. Please know that I am not interested in getting into the Mac vs everything else debate, I have already made up my mind in that department. I am the casual/intermediate user and by no means an expert. I use a computer everyday at work, and am familiar w/windows as are most people. I am hoping to hear from some Mac users or others who can help me choose the best MacBook/MacBook Pro for my needs. I have been slowly putting money aside each week and so far have about $3400.00 in my safe, which I plan on continuing. What I want is basically something to surf the web, make purchases, store some photos, bill pay, watch YouTube and listen to some music. This will be something I plan to take w/me when I travel in my RV hence the laptop. I tend to buy more than needed, but that's because I don't want to have to upgrade later. I don't mind spending a little more to get exactly what I want, and I like the phrase "more than you'll ever need". Also, I really like the MacBook Pro because of it's 16 in screen, these tired eyes prefer the bigger screen. Can anyone give me suggestions re: RAM, Processor, Memory, Storage, etc... You know all that tech stuff that I am clueless on. Also, should I by direct from the Apple website or go to the Apple store or Best Buy or somewhere like that?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  5. Jul 13, 2021 at 12:25 PM
    GravityGear

GravityGear Parking Lot Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black DC TSS Off Road 4x4 5.7
    Transfer Flow tank, Pinstripe Suit
    A Mac is mad overkill for what you're looking to do. Looks like you'll need to go Macbook Pro if you want the larger screen, so just grab the a basic-ish config for that. Unless "surf the web" means you'll have MANY tabs open, the amount of processing power and memory wouldn't really matter. As far as storage, I'm not sure how you want to handle the media storage. If you're going to be using iCloud (I would suggest that), then the amount of storage locally wouldn't really be too much of an issue. Regardless, I'd personally do a 1TB SSD. It's pretty much the standard right now and will allow you to keep a ton of music and some movies locally so you won't need an internet connection for that media. I'm not a Mac person as I work in SMB and Enterprise spaces and Macs don't like to play nice there, so I'm not 100% sure on the available hardware for them.

NewImprovedRon and snivilous like this.
  6. Jul 13, 2021 at 12:32 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    299.7k Supercharged 2008
    Buy a Chromebook for $300 or an ipad. Or a used computer from the last decade :D unless you're gaming, CAD, mad spreadsheets, or doing graphic/video stuff then you can get the cheapest laptop and it'll last forever. A $3000+ laptop is crazy overkill imo, but I get your notion of buy once cry once. Spend a grand and you'll have a good computer that will last a long time and be more than plenty capable.

7. Jul 13, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    GoDawgs

GoDawgs AS IS

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    21' Limited CM 1H5
    AlaskanAssassin likes this.
  8. Jul 13, 2021 at 12:40 PM
    AlaskanAssassin

AlaskanAssassin I now walk into the wild

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD-OR, Cement
    Everything after XP sooks…. MacOS is :muscleflexing:

Roborob70 and GoDawgs like this.
  9. Jul 13, 2021 at 12:46 PM
    GayFish

GayFish Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White SR5 CM 5.7L 4X4

[​IMG]

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  10. Jul 13, 2021 at 12:47 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    We bought a refurb iMac late last year and have had nothing but issues with it - been in for random reboots/crashes, wiped and reinstalled the OS countless times, power supply replaced and finally had a logic board replacement. And now we're seeing the reboots come back, looking like it's the hybrid drive this time. I wish I would have spend the extra $150-200 or whatever we saved to get a new one. The thing about Macs is that they're pretty rock solid - if they have to go in for refurb, there is more than likely a ghost in the machine that will be difficult to track down, if it wasn't something obvious that was repaired the first time around. I'm sure not all Apple refurb experiences go this way, but I'm soured on them.

11. Jul 13, 2021 at 12:56 PM
    GoDawgs

GoDawgs AS IS

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    21' Limited CM 1H5
    Sorry you had issues.... How has Apple responded? Since it is still under warranty are they not helping?

12. Jul 13, 2021 at 1:02 PM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    They've been okay, it's just been a shitshow since this all started in the middle of covid closures and what-not. Instead of being able to take it to an Apple store, we had to go through the phone support system, then take it to an authorized Apple repair shop. The repair shop was decent about it, the only issue there with the first repair was that the power supply got stuck in Snowmageddon in Nashville, so the part took an extra week to show up. On the most recent repair, we were told that we were already at 3 qualified repairs and the next would be a replacement, but then when we finally got it into the store, they pushed back on that and said there were only 2 qualified repairs so far. This next one SHOULD result in a replacement, but we'll see. I haven't had time to talk to support or take it in yet.

13. Jul 13, 2021 at 1:07 PM
    GoDawgs

GoDawgs AS IS

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    21' Limited CM 1H5
    I hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction... I guess I have been fortunate with all the units I have purchased. Good luck

TRDFerguson likes this.
  14. Jul 13, 2021 at 1:11 PM
    vl184009

vl184009 Cheers Boys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicky
    Southern, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Ya, I am not a fan of buying refurbished anything...You never know how other people treat there stuff.

15. Jul 13, 2021 at 1:16 PM
    vl184009

vl184009 Cheers Boys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicky
    Southern, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Thank you everyone for all the responses. I figured many would say overkill, but as I said before I don't want to do any upgrades, etc. later. It's really just mad money I have been saving for this toy anyway, so I am ok with the overkill..hehe

16. Jul 13, 2021 at 2:18 PM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    While I have heard dozens of individual stories about how great Macs are, I know they're not bulletproof. A friend of mine uses Macs in his stores (he owns about 6 recycled car parts stores, what used to be called salvage yards). While he likes the usability much more than PC's (he used to have PC's), he is the first to acknowledge that Apple has its fair share of issues, more with hardware than with software.

As far as recommendations go, I would also recommend a good Chromebook and the cloud. If you're not comfortable storing your files on the cloud you can get a good NAS to store your files at home.

17. Jul 13, 2021 at 2:48 PM
    vl184009

vl184009 Cheers Boys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicky
    Southern, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the response, I take all info to heart..

18. Jul 13, 2021 at 2:59 PM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    Most of my hardware engineering development work is done on Linux nowadays and I’m constantly battling with corporate to maintain the environment. We are mandated to upgrade our environment even though the newer versions of tools don’t support the older hardware. This is much less of an issue in Linux. Unfortunately since corporate will only support updates and security patches to the Windows network, each program has to pay a “maintenance fee” to have it do the Linux updates manually. A very hard sell to our customer since the cost is passed along.

19. Jul 13, 2021 at 2:59 PM
    LuvCRVs

LuvCRVs New Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All Weather Floor Mats

For 17 years I absolutely suffered with Windows based PC's at our house. From the constant updating of virus protections, firewalls, defragging and all that BS...I grew to hate them Hate them violently. In 2011 I bought an iMac for myself and a MacBook pro for my wife. We have never looked back. They are a delight to use and all that maintenance BS is a thing of the past. All I ever do is clear out the cache and browser history every once in a while. Both of those are just a two click operation. Simple simple simple. All they do is work. You don't have to be an IT expert to keep them up and running. So yeah I am a Apple homer...and big time Apple shareholder..so Apple Apple Apple.

Now to your question. IMO if you really want to by more than you need, and HAVE to have the 16" screen, then yeah MacBook Pro. Get the base model for $2399. If you think you need more than 512GB storage, you can pay to upgrade to 1 or 2 TB. IIRC a base model upgraded to more than you will ever need to 2TB storage would come in right at $3k. But if 13.3" works for you, then a MacBook Air would be the way to go..$1800 for the 2TB option. Frankly I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As for price. Yeah expensive. As for Value...off the charts if you value your free time and realize these will last you 8-9 years. Any windows PC will become so bogged down with bloatware inside of 3 years it will make you chuck it in the river and buy another one. So for fair comparison, compare the price of 3 PCs vs the 1 Mac. Now put in all the time you save not having to do all that BS PC maintenance and bloatware issues. Yeah..Apple is a tremendous value. And 9 years later you could still sell it for a couple hundred dollars. A PC..you would have to pay someone to take a 9 year old unit.

I had a PC at work. Once it was about 2.5 years old, it was in the IT office for repairs and updating more than it was on my desk (laptop with docking station). If that is the best a pro IT person can do...what chance do you or I have? The bright side was on those days I basically surfed the web on my iPhone all day as I could not work.

MacBook...the Tundra of Laptops.

AlaskanAssassin and GoDawgs like this.
  20. Jul 13, 2021 at 3:21 PM
    vl184009

vl184009 Cheers Boys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicky
    Southern, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for a real world opinion. I am at my wits end w/windows, and it's not like I haven't been around them my whole adult life. I just get soooo tired of the day to day inconvenient crap that you mentioned above. While yes I have always been an iPhone user from day 1, I think it's time to delve into the simplistic world of MacBook use as well.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  21. Jul 13, 2021 at 4:04 PM
    Roborob70

Roborob70 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    18 Toyota Tundra TRD
    I joined the "DARK SIDE" few months ago, Imac pro and Iphone 12 promax coming from Samsung, windows 10 and all their bullshit. Love it! No reason to say anymore.

22. Jul 13, 2021 at 4:35 PM
    vl184009

vl184009 Cheers Boys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicky
    Southern, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for confirming what I should already know.

23. Jul 14, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    I've had the opposite experience, honestly - *literally* everything I've ever bought refurbished (to include iPhones, Macs and PCs/laptops) has been fantastic. In my experience, if I buy a current generation item that has been refurbished, it means either that

- it had one part broke, so they sent out a different thing to the user, repaired the part, and are now selling/offering it refurbished
    - OR some little old lady bought it, said "I don't like the color" and returned it. LOL

24. Jul 15, 2021 at 9:41 AM
    vl184009

vl184009 Cheers Boys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicky
    Southern, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I would imagine they give the same warranty..

Kung[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Jul 16, 2021 at 6:39 AM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    They usually do. The last one I bought (Lenovo ThinkPad T480s) was normally $1300; got it for $780 or so with a 3 year warranty. Not that it really matters....they're built like a freakin' tank.

26. Apr 19, 2022 at 7:19 PM
    judiscot

judiscot New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jufi
    The most important thing for me is design. One of the features of Windows 11 was an updated design with a redesigned Start menu, which is now located in the middle of the screen. However, the "Start" button itself does not have a fixed position, shifting to the left as new programs are opened, and the interface provides the ability to forcibly return it to its usual position for Windows 10. You can pick up a huge number of keys for your programs using windows 10 pro key. Believe me, this will definitely help you work comfortably.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  27. Apr 20, 2022 at 4:20 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    :puke:

Why do they have to mess with what works?

Products Discussed in

To Top