1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Window Trim Issue

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by PapaGrizz, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Mar 18, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    @PappaGrizz I think @NewImprovedRon means to park near a wall, and to use a couple of 1"X2" boards with the right angles on the end to wedge against the trim and the wall to hold the trim tight against the door. Maybe one flat horizontally at the top of the corner, one vertical at the back edge of the corner. (Straighten me out @NewImprovedRon if I've got the details all wrong.) Getting the angles on the board ends right is left with the OP. :D

He has a point about the duct tape...it's extremely difficult to react the tendency of the trim to lift (perpendicular to the door) by applying force with tape to the door (parallel with the trim). Maybe that's why none of my fix attempts ever worked! :rofl:

As a previous post suggested, weatherstrip adhesive IS a contact cement. That's why you have to carefully pre-fit a weatherstrip and mark it in several places before the first real "take", because you won't get another try...and you'll need a new weatherstrip. In this case, you WILL get some help from that characteristic. However...I guarantee that with the constant tendency of that trim to lift, it will not stay completely flat unless something holds it in place until the adhesive fully sets up.

PapaGrizz[OP] likes this.
  2. Mar 18, 2019 at 11:31 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I think he’s talking about one of these. I use one in the bed of my truck to keep a load positioned without strapping it down. The ends are slightly adjustable so they wobble. They also are ratcheting, so you could put just the right amount of tension on it without doing damage. Pretty simple and ingenious idea.
    9177A2CE-537A-414F-8C32-2FB146E57796.jpg

3. Mar 18, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Oh...hell..."adjustable load lock" is a real thing. I thought "adjustable load lock" was all part of the con...he coulda' used "malwicket" or "grizeldig" and it would have been the same for me. :rofl:

Edit: Sorry, @NewImprovedRon, I really wasn't making fun of you...I'm making fun of me for being so under-informed. :D

4. Mar 18, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Hahahahaha The sarcasm can be pretty strong around here. Sometimes it’s hard to tell. But Ron’s user name used to be RowdyRon. Now he’s new and improved LOL. And it shows. We tend to go off topic or make jokes after it seems the question has been answered. But not always! Similar to having a group of you and your friends get together around a campfire, ask a serious question and see how long it takes to get it a serious answer. One friend is always going to be trying to make another friend laugh. But at the end of the night it will be answered one way or another.

5. Mar 18, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    You're right, ya know. I already tried the tape. Didn't work. Just funnin' with ya, brother.

After all, we infantry types are very fond of our armor brothers.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    NewImprovedRon and 15whtrd like this.
  6. Mar 18, 2019 at 12:03 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    I like it. Helping people first is the priority, but having fun is important too. :D Hopefully @PapaGrizz will be smiling too if he gets something that works.

@PapaGrizz One more "best effort" for you: Use a 2"-3" C-clamp with two small squares of plywood, one outside flat on the trim corner, and other inside bridging from the top of the window frame corner to the rear of the window frame. DO NOT put any load on the glass.

Edit: Throwing rocks with precision not required. :D

7. Mar 18, 2019 at 1:11 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    That’s the exact tool I was thinking of with Ron’s explanation.

8. Mar 18, 2019 at 1:14 PM
    Young80i

Young80i New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Garden Grove CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum
    My truck as wel

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  9. Mar 18, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G

10. Mar 18, 2019 at 1:27 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    FIXED!:rofl:

11. Mar 18, 2019 at 4:30 PM
    PapaGrizz

PapaGrizz [OP] MGM CRÜE

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Tundra TRD Off Road Crewmax
    Dayum! Haha all great tips! Lemme try rolling the truck on its side first, then maybe the c-clamps :fingerscrossed:

15whtrd likes this.
  12. Mar 18, 2019 at 4:56 PM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:eek2: Actually, today that might really be the way it is! :D

13. Mar 19, 2019 at 8:09 AM
    bvia

bvia New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Texas Edition Tundra 2WD 4.6 DblCab
    None
    3M adhesive, the contact type, makes an almost instantaneous bond. I doubt you'll get any creep or movement if you RTFM and follow the directions...:p Affixing something with properly applied contact cement is usually a one-shot per placement deal.

You could always use a c-clamp if you really feel the need to!

hth,
    B

Ericsopa and PapaGrizz[OP] like this.
  14. Mar 19, 2019 at 12:14 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    No one has recommended "3M adhesive, the contact type" per se.

What was recommended was this:
    https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B00063X38M?th=1&psc=1
    If you've used it before, you know what it does, and you know it's limitations. It IS a contact type adhesive, and OP will have no problem making a good part of his separated trim sticky from hell...getting the edges to lay flat after they've curled up is going to be another matter. Reading the directions before use is always good advice.

If you're thinking of the multiple versions of spray adhesive 3M sells, they will be worthless for this application. In fact, they are pretty much worthless for any automotive application. I tried that Super 77 Multipurpose for carpet installation...didn't hold maybe a week. Maybe I needed one of those air-driven hose sprayers upholsterers use.

81qyNEzui-L._SL1500_.jpg

Ericsopa and PapaGrizz[OP] like this.
  15. Mar 19, 2019 at 1:36 PM
    bvia

bvia New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    None
    per the usage instructions for the 3m 08008 black

"Apply a thin uniform coat of adhesive on each surface. Allow adhesive to dry until tacky but will not transfer to your knuckle when touched. Assemble materials with sufficient pressure to ensure complete contact. Full cure may take as long as 24 hours at 70°F"

i.e. this is a CONTACT type of cement and rules for using and applying CONTACT cement should be adhered to, to ensure good...adherence.

Properly applied, this product will not makes parts sticky as hell as when properly applied, the parts won't be able to separate again.

I've used this specific product and was explaining that the number 1 way to make your parts separate and be sticky as hell is to not adhere to proper contact cement application directions. Don't be that guy with the sticky mess...:)

hth,
    B

15whtrd and PapaGrizz[OP] like this.
  16. Mar 19, 2019 at 3:24 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    Well, there you go @PapaGrizz. Who can argue with such self-assured, self-confident reading skill as that? Paint her up, wait until adhesive "won't transfer to your knuckle", and then stick'er down and walk away. Q.E.D. Not my truck...85 percent perfection works for me. :)

NewImprovedRon and PapaGrizz[OP] like this.
  17. Mar 19, 2019 at 3:45 PM
    PapaGrizz

PapaGrizz [OP] MGM CRÜE

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Vehicle:
    True that - we'll see what happens!

18. Mar 19, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    Got to admit...the last conventional war engagement with Saddam's Republican Guards...armor was overrunning enemy positions faster than the grunts could secure them. Only thing holding armor back was the fuel trucks couldn't keep up. USA! :oldglory::thumbsup:

19. Mar 19, 2019 at 6:47 PM
    bvia

bvia New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    None
    Just here to help :thumbsup:

B

20. Mar 19, 2019 at 6:49 PM
    bvia

bvia New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    None
    Didn't think you did and don't recall quoting you. but if I did, I apologize.;)
    B

21. Mar 20, 2019 at 6:57 AM
    Grnjetta6

Grnjetta6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Hudson Valley New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD Off Road DC
    My 18 did the same I used goof off to remove the old 3m tape and replaced it. So far so good

22. Mar 20, 2019 at 7:41 AM
    bvia

bvia New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    None
    Ah! I was pointing out that properly applied trim contact cement would not need any external fixating.

B

23. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:10 PM
    PapaGrizz

PapaGrizz [OP] MGM CRÜE

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Vehicle:
    The trim adhesive @JohnLakeman suggested came in today. Went ahead and prepped the surface with alcohol, then applied to the truck and trim, waited a bit then pressed it together. Put painters tape to hold it in place and it seems OK so far. I'll unmask and give an update tomorrow.

24. Mar 21, 2019 at 4:45 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    PAINTER'S TAPE?!!! The blue stuff??

Well, I hope you read the directions on the roll for reassurance. That crap is designed to be easy to remove without damaging the surface or leaving any trace...i.e. hardly any adhesive. You'll probably go out this morning and find it laying on the ground, or curled up on both ends to the center.

I am continually running product evaluations. I still buy that blue tape because it's easy to use in apps with low risk of failure (your trim does not fall into this category), AND IT's CHEAP. Real automotive painting masking tape does not release easy, but it costs an arm and a leg, and you can't get it at home stores.

25. Mar 21, 2019 at 5:12 AM
    joeguam

joeguam New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JOE
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra SR5
    Pro Comp 6 Inch Stage II Lift Kit with Icon 2.5 coil overs and piggyback rear shocks, SPC Upper Control Arms, Atlas 6” Leaf Springs, Coach Builder Steering kit, Coach Builder +3 Shackles, BDS Recoil Traction Bars, Amp Research steps, Fuel Nutz two piece 20x12-44 offset wrapped with 38” Toyo MT tires, LineX Bed Liner, Viper 5706V Alarm and Remote Start, Pioneer 4200, JLAudio Amps, JL Audio Subs. Nitro Gear 5.29 and Auburn LSD
    Use the 3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter: swipe the applicator across the area that needs to be prepped. Allow to dry for approximately 30-90 seconds before applying your tape; be sure the surface is dry before applying adhesive product as improper bonding can occur then use the 3M Super Strong Automotive Attachment Tape.

26. Mar 21, 2019 at 5:17 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Hahaha you didn’t have pinpoint accuracy!

OR18TRD[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Mar 21, 2019 at 5:30 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    THAT is a great idea!!!...If you woulda' posted it yesterday. :D

You're late to the party. Are you trying to put @PapaGrizz into an apoplectic rage? We've already collectively fooled him into using "glue from hell" to stick his trim down, and then just walking away. Too late now...that trim "is what it is", for better or worse, and IT IS not moving, "lick and a promise" painter's tape not withstanding. (Only kidding, @PapaGrizz. You'll never notice it...it's on the passenger side.) :spy:

28. Mar 21, 2019 at 5:30 AM
    Tundra_361

Tundra_361 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 4x4
    No problems here bud.

29. Mar 21, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    tlr641

tlr641 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robb
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Sport
    Trd dual exhaust, bilstein 5100’s, tint
    My 14 had the top of the cab striping come off, driving home from Bend I heard something thumping on the top of the cab. Dealer fixed and it was fine. My 18 sport had the same problem and the the. The drivers door trim started coming off.

3m fixed that problem.

30. Mar 21, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    PapaGrizz

PapaGrizz [OP] MGM CRÜE

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Vehicle:
    And done-zo! Just peeled the blue painters tape to find it had worked perfectly! Thanks for all the help gents!

20190321_152119.jpg

bvia, NewImprovedRon and 15whtrd like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top