1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will you buy a dog training shock collar?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by tinnytinny, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Apr 10, 2023 at 6:27 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    I ended up half assed training my dog myself. Me and the wife were never able to agree on a class. One was too
    Expensive for me, or the other would use techniques she didn't like. I ended up doing a decent job except she will be a crappy leash walker to her last day.

But when we first got her and shopped classes there was a great company that worked with collars using the vibrate function to condition the dog to respond under distraction. They took the dog for a couple weeks then bought in the owner to teach them the techniques they used to
    Work with the dog. Wife was at the time prejudiced towards collars so we passed even though the zap function wasn't even used. Always regretted not doing that. The owner played footage of him playing with his dog and getting her to respond to a full range of commands on the median strip of a congested road in rush hour. My dog is a wonderful member of the family but If I had to do it again I'd have tried harder to train her to that level. I'll push harder for it next time.

Remote collar is Great tool to teach the dog to respond at distance under distraction. I think It's not so much that they can hurt but that an owner who doesn't use them correctly can mess the dog up mentally. It's never sure when the buzz or tingle will come or why. If you confuse them it can become a "deaf command." You don't time it right or stay consistent so it fails to serve its real purpose.

That tingle or vibration in the context of a remote collar is meant to burn it into their muscle memory to focus on you when the hear a command. As I heard that trainer say, it's you reaching out from 20 yards away without a physical connection and basically going "HEY, listen up, I'm talking to you." You may be telling the dog to do something or you may be telling the dog to stop doing something but it's best connected to a command so the dog always knows what it means.

You have to know the proper timing for using it, connect it to specific commands and not just start hitting the button every time the dog does something irritating.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    Hi06silver likes this.
  2. Apr 10, 2023 at 6:47 AM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon New Old Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red Tundra
    We have a "barker" and use the shock collar for her but set on the vibrate setting. She has learned to not bark when she has the collar on but then barks when the collar is off. Tempted to place it on her loosely to see if that will work.

3. Apr 10, 2023 at 8:21 AM
    sask3m

sask3m New Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Black 2019 SR5
    I bought an e-collar for my husky, for leash taining, but it never fazed her on account of her thick fur. Tried to return to Amazon but no returns on those for some reason even though she only ever had it on in the house for 10 minutes, they told me to keep it and still refunded my $300. I ended buying a herm sprenger prong collar, best investment I ever made to train her to walk and not pull like we're delivering serum to Nome.

Products Discussed in

To Top