1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will lifting truck void warranty?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Pg1329, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Aug 11, 2022 at 7:56 AM
    Pg1329

Pg1329 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 tundra limited
    I am planning on lifting my truck and getting an extended warranty as well. But I am confused about will the lift effect my now existing factory warranty. If yes how high can we lift it and any suggestions on lift kits appreciated

2. Aug 11, 2022 at 7:56 AM
    king.cong.1119

king.cong.1119 New Member

Member:
    I thought TOYOTA offers some kind of factory lift?

3. Aug 11, 2022 at 7:58 AM
    Pg1329

Pg1329 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 tundra limited
    they do for the trd but due to the shortage I was able to find only a non trd. So I wanted to get a lift

4. Aug 11, 2022 at 7:59 AM
    king.cong.1119

Member:
    I see, if only suspension components are upgraded, I doubt it will void the warranty but it is just me speculating

5. Aug 11, 2022 at 8:22 AM
    DFS

DFS New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Capstone Tundra
    Changing the suspension components can cause premature failure of other drivetrain components such as CV joints, boots, etc. I had a 2020 Raptor denied warranty coverage of a transmission because I lifted the truck with a SVC mid travel kit and added larger tires, changing the rolling resistance outside of engineered specification. If you can wait for the TRD lift to come out I would so, as they add some warranty coverage with it, otherwise it is a distinct possibly of denial on future claims that can be attributed to non OEM suspension components.

6. Aug 11, 2022 at 8:31 AM
    king.cong.1119

Member:
    A 2020 truck with transmission problems? hmm :monocle:

Booney and Pg1329[OP] like this.
  7. Aug 11, 2022 at 8:47 AM
    TundyMcTunra

TundyMcTunra Irrational people are not often convinced by facts

Member:
    Lost in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max 4x4, 2018 Tacoma Inferno TRDORDCSB, 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock, 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    Ford

8. Aug 11, 2022 at 8:53 AM
    DFS

DFS New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Capstone Tundra
    Yes, as much fun as blanket bashing is, the 2020 Raptor's do not have common transmission failure, and could be attributed to the change in suspension + over size tires. 37" KM3's. These failures are not common, but do happen to all vehicles. Buyer beware is all I was trying to get across to OP. I notice my Tundra's 14" screen already has dead pixels, yet I don't go saying all 2022 Tundra's are covid trucks with less desirable and reliable semi conductors leading to premature failures.

digitalwiz likes this.
  9. Aug 11, 2022 at 9:07 AM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    Its scary out there. Just hold tight onto your Tundra forever and you will be ok.

10. Aug 11, 2022 at 9:16 AM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    Good thing no one tries to do that on a Tundra.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/dirty-seven-club.40397/

Doesn’t that Raptor come with 35s from the factory?

king.cong.1119 likes this.
  11. Aug 11, 2022 at 9:27 AM
    king.cong.1119

Member:
  12. Aug 11, 2022 at 9:36 AM
    Booney

Booney New Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Vehicle:
    Smoked Mesquite 2021 1794 Off Road TRD
    That is what some dealers want people to think. You should have sued. You should have asked that dealer if they offered installation of after market lift kits.

Most Toyota dealers offer after market lifts. I don't see how the effects of one lift on a truck's components would be immune in comparison to another lift. I got into a discussion with the warranty gun at the dealer that I use for servicing. It was purely semantics. I finally asked him if the ToyTec lift that they offered voided the warranty. He finally stated that the warranty would not cover any components that were replaced, like shocks. That is a no brainer. I would not expect the warranty to cover after market shocks that I replaced on my truck.

Examples of a Toyota dealer that offers in house after market installs of lift kits, wheels and oversize tires.

https://www.interstatetoyota.com/Stapp-i25-custom-tundra-past-builds.html

https://www.interstatetoyota.com/Stapp-i25-custom-tacoma-past-builds.html

13. Aug 11, 2022 at 9:40 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Here comes the Magnussen/Moss gang…

14. Aug 11, 2022 at 9:43 AM
    sensei

sensei master and teacher of nothing

Member:
    trd boosted, trd bbk, fox stage 4, corsa, amp, jl/kenwood
    claims associated with suspension and/or components that support it, may be declined. i once had a seal around the hood of my previous lexus rcf. because i had a carbon fiber hood they declined to replace the failing seal.

15. Aug 11, 2022 at 10:05 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    They can deny a warranty claim if your mod can be reasonably shown to be the cause of the problem, but your warranty is not "void." That's a typical scare tactic of dealers and the uneducated. If you put in a lift and tires, and your radio shits the bed, they cannot deny the warranty claim based on the mods because there is no way your lift killed your radio. Now, you breaks suspension or steering components and they might be able to show the lift was the culprit. Pay to play and all that.

Generally speaking, most responsibly modded Toyotas won't have an issue within the warranty anyway.

16. Aug 11, 2022 at 10:18 AM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    Only thing my warranty was good for was a parking brake adjustment.

GODZILLA[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Aug 11, 2022 at 10:34 AM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i Tech12volts JL Tweeters
    What is the Act?

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, passed by Congress in 1975, governs the warranties on consumer products. It was designed to help consumers understand, compare, and enforce the warranties on their products. This federal statute protects consumer rights by compelling warrantors to use clear language and complete information in their warranties and to avoid deceptive practices. Any consumer product that comes with a warranty—including car parts and accessories—must comply with the Act. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has since been reminding consumers of their rights to install aftermarket parts without fear of having their warranties voided.

How does it apply to car parts?

According to the Magnuson-Moss Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot automatically cancel your warranty just because you’ve installed aftermarket car parts. This is an illegal practice. That said, if your aftermarket part somehow causes or contributes to a failure in your vehicle, the dealer may be able to deny your warranty claim—as long as they can prove the connection. In these cases, the burden of proof is entirely on the dealership.

What does it mean for consumers?

Let’s say your windshield wipers broke and you decided to replace them with aftermarket windshield wipers from a different manufacturer. Your car’s warranty doesn’t get cancelled or voided, and your warranty claim can’t be denied, just because they aren’t Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts. When you later take your car to the dealership because your air conditioner stopped working, for example, the dealer can only deny your warranty claim if they prove that your aftermarket windshield wipers caused your AC to stop working. Since it’s not the most likely scenario, you would probably still be covered under your car’s warranty.

What can consumers do to protect their rights?

The Act made it easier for consumers to compare warranty coverage between products before they buy. You should absolutely take advantage of your right to compare warranties and make sure you’re getting the best deal on your vehicle, parts, and accessories. When you decide to modify your car with aftermarket parts, make sure you do your research on the most reputable brands and carefully follow the installation instructions. It’s also important to work with a dealer that will respond to your warranty issues properly and efficiently.

TundyMcTunra and KroppDuster like this.
  18. Aug 11, 2022 at 10:37 AM
    KroppDuster

KroppDuster Out with the old and in with the...older?

Member:
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD Off Road - Cavalry Blue
    Warning: Wall of text incoming.

Every Toyota dealer I've ever worked with has basically told me the same thing when it comes to lifted vehicles. It essentially boils down to this:

If an OE component fails, and that component would normally be covered under a factory or extended warranty, then it is still fully covered UNLESS that failure is a direct result of an aftermarket component. They won't just blanket void your entire extended warranty because of a lift. They might deny a particular warranty claim if they believe the OE component failed because of your lift.
    • An example of a denied warranty repair: They're not going to replace your CV axles that fail because that failure is likely attributed to the increased articulation from an aftermarket lift.
    • An example of an approved warranty repair: They're not going to deny your warranty coverage if your stereo fails because you have a lift on your truck. The aftermarket lift has zero influence on the performance of the radio.
    Also keep in mind that you're not entirely SOL if an aftermarket component fails. If an aftermarket component fails, then that particular component is generally covered under a separate manufacturer's warranty.

Before you buy with any dealer you're unfamiliar with, I recommend you ask the service department if they're "lift friendly." Most of them will be open & transparent with you. Most dealerships also offer aftermarket lifts themselves as well. I've seen tons of dealers slap on cheap ReadyLift, ToyTec, Daystar, or Rough Country lifts and then roll that truck or SUV out onto the lot for sale with a hefty markup.

I've had a 2005 Taco, a 2012 4Runner, and now a 2022 Tundra. All lifted and I've bought the extended warranty on all of them because I keep my vehicles for a long time. I haven't had a warranty repair on the Tundra yet, but I had several on both the Taco & 4Runner over the years. I never had a warranty repair denied because of the lift on either vehicle.

In the end...buying an extended warranty has never stopped me from lifting a vehicle. I've never had a warranty claim denied because of my lifts. That being said, I've also never had to do a warranty claim on an OE suspension component either.

My 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  19. Aug 12, 2022 at 8:57 AM
    TundyMcTunra

TundyMcTunra Irrational people are not often convinced by facts

Member:
    Lost in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max 4x4, 2018 Tacoma Inferno TRDORDCSB, 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock, 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    Yes Ford bashing is fun. Also fun to bash are Dodge, Chevy, anything made by the English and people who eat mint icecream.

joonbug likes this.
  20. Aug 12, 2022 at 10:22 AM
    LukeS

LukeS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    Army Green Limited TRD OR
    RDT_20220812_1321536258053445316485442.jpg

Products Discussed in