1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wife got into a fender bender

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by Jimes, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Feb 1, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    2015 toyota tundra trd pro
    Oh ya. Forgot to ask. If anyone in the Bay Area has a reputable shop that does thorough work in inspecting damage and fixing it, please let me know. It would be much appreciated.

2. Feb 1, 2020 at 3:55 PM
    SIMPLYTHETRUTH

SIMPLYTHETRUTH THE ALBINO RHINO

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD
    S&B Cold Air Intake, Recon light bar, Rough Country light bar, Cali ditch lights, aFe throttle spacer,
    Nice truck brother by the way. In your area, how many Toyota dealerships are the in a range you would drive to? Reason I ask does any of them have their own bodyshop on site. In my area 2 dealerships have their own onsite body shops/collision onsite. And all they do is Toyota so they know what to look for. Just a thought if you need one. Otherwise find a highly recommended one. Keep us posted.

3. Feb 1, 2020 at 4:11 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Thank you. I would say within a 45 mile radius about 10 or so. I would have to call some of them to find out. The one I normally deal with doesn’t. But that’s good to know that some do. I am going to do some research on a few shops I’ve worked with in the past(over 10 years ago) to see how their recent reviews are. Should be fun. Will definitely post what any shop finds.

4. Feb 5, 2020 at 4:05 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    So the truck is at the shop and so far 5000 dollars in damage. My frame is bent, tow hitch damaged, bed sides buckled in on both sides and damaged tail gate as well. So they straightened the frame as much as possible and already fixing the bed sides and removing paint to repaint it. The dealership will look at it after to look over the entire drive train and brakes and everything underneath. Clearly more is wrong. And now I will not have matching paint which really grinds my gears. I’m extremely particular about matching paint and my vehicles. That’s why I can never go glass or color match a topper. They never match no matter how hard you try and looks like complete shit to me. And unfortunately now I really don’t want the truck anymore cause only god knows how bad the drive train can be damaged from this. Sure it can drive fine but you don’t know if something shifted out of place until it breaks on you and you get stuck with the bill side of course it will happen after the claim is closed. All that time and money spent getting my truck to where I wanted it to be, just for someone else to fuck it up. I am really contemplating selling the truck when it comes back from the shop since my truck will technically never be the same. So bummed right now.

jewsNbrews and JimboSlice413 like this.
  5. Feb 5, 2020 at 4:27 PM
    Jbehredt

Jbehredt Burgeoning member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro DC White

The frame bends easily at the front of the ridiculous tow hitch. Easy fix. If it truly “buckled” the bed I’d be concerned. Make sure you check the back of the cab to see if the bed touched up there. More likely the bumper ends got into the bed a bit. Not a big deal. If they’re painting both bed sides, the tail gate and bumper caps there should be no reason you see ANY color difference. Pleennnnnty of room to blend that out down the length of the bed. Driveline issues are very unlikely. Just a thought.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  6. Feb 5, 2020 at 4:47 PM
    SIMPLYTHETRUTH

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD
    S&B Cold Air Intake, Recon light bar, Rough Country light bar, Cali ditch lights, aFe throttle spacer,
    Shit from the pics don’t look bad. I feel your pain on never being the same but to me didn’t seem like the truck took a hard of a hit. The hitch took most of the bulk. Gears so be fine, I would be more worried if the truck was side walking down the road meaning the spring bent and rear shifted. At least it was hit in rear. If hit front or anywhere else that would never be the same and I too would get rid of it. Keep your head up the new body style is coming soon.

jewsNbrews and Jimes[OP] like this.
  7. Feb 5, 2020 at 4:50 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Ya I will find the difference in paint color by taking a picture. Or looking at it it from certain angles. Kind of like looking at anyone with color matched flares or fiber glass, looks good from one angle but you can notice the difference if you look hard enough. Plus the fact that it’s inferno paint doesn’t help. It’s yellow, reddish and orange all at once. Beautiful paint but hard to match. My job makes me very anal about small details and how things look, so I’ll notice it for sure. repainting the entire vehicle is the only way to kind of guarantee that the paint will match. I remember I took it to a body shop to fix my original front bumper that some jackass at Home Depot hit with a cart I assume and they wanted 1500 to try and color match it and was told that it would be very difficult to do so because they said my paint is basically a three stage paint. As for driveline it can easily get damaged and I’m extremely concerned about it. If the car didn’t go underneath the vehicle I believe it wouldn’t be as much of a concern to me, but it did and I was in the same style accident with my work van and that shit had all kinds of issues from the hit. E250 van vs 90 civic. The rear suspension had to be replaced as well as the brakes. I’ll report back after the dealership goes thru the entire truck. I told them to look at everything possible cause I’m not getting stuck with any repairs down the road that wasn’t checked. The insurance told me that after everything is repaired to go to the dealership and get it evaluated for diminished value, then take that price and the insurance will pay that. So if you get in an accident and it wasn’t your fault they owe that to you. They do not advertise this and have to ask. It’s not gonna change the fact that your vehicle is now tainted, but at least you can buy some more parts for it or another vehicle or pocket the money. I will post pics of the truck after the repair and everyone can see how it looks.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  8. Feb 5, 2020 at 5:00 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Ya unfortunately I’m extremely anal about my vehicles and I didn’t buy a 99% perfect vehicle. I bought a 100% vehicle and that now will never be. If I sell it, which I more than likely will. Will be looking into getting a land cruiser instead and starting over from scratch. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. So whomever gets my truck will at least have a complete truck ready to beat it to death off road. There isn’t much left that I didn’t already do to it. It has front and rear arb lockers, kings shocks, custom leafs, gram light wheels with 37 inch KM3S, full skids, C4 bumper with rigid light bar and warn 12k winch, rigid grille with matching rigid lights, cryo rotors, and REM polished nitro 5.29 gears. Shit I don’t know what else you could ask for. I’m sure there’s more I’m missing, but over 90k was put into it with the vehicle purchase price.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  9. Feb 5, 2020 at 5:05 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Am I being a bit much about this. Yes. Yes I am. But that’s the way I am. And I can’t change how I am when it comes to details. It’s not in my nature to be ok with a tainted vehicle that I didn’t taint myself. Especially when I dropped so much cash into it.

ColoradoTJ and jewsNbrews like this.
  10. Feb 5, 2020 at 5:16 PM
    JimboSlice413

JimboSlice413 Super Nice Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited 4x4, 2003 Sequoia
    Bilstein 5100/5160 Toyo at2 295/70r18 Ray10 GunMetal
    I totally feel your reservations about the vehicle from this point forward. Frame damage always just does weird things to a vehicle, even if the frame is properly repaired the vehicle still took a hell of a hit. Here in California we are also required by law to disclose frame damage, I believe in writing, and this will probably have an affect on resale

Jimes[OP] likes this.
  11. Feb 5, 2020 at 5:31 PM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    Same reason i have a pro now. My SR5 was never the same. T boned and about a week after i got it back, 3 months later, i was rear ended. I dont blame you one bit for wanting something new or different now.

Jimes[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  12. Feb 5, 2020 at 5:32 PM
    Jbehredt

Jbehredt Burgeoning member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro DC White
    Yeah, if you’re dead set on being unhappy with the repair get your check and trade it off. Good deal on the ins company offering diminished value. Have to basically hire an attorney to get that around here.

Tundyfundy and jewsNbrews like this.
  13. Feb 5, 2020 at 5:36 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. At least I’m not alone on my way of thinking. As for the diminished value part. I had to basically tell the insurance all the shit I did to it and all the money I spent on the vehicle and how much time and effort was put into it just for their client to ruin it. I never raised my voice or was a dick to them as anger gets you nowhere. Just stern calm voice. I also explained to them with only 305 of my exact color and model made it would be damn near impossible to replace.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  14. Feb 5, 2020 at 5:40 PM
    JimboSlice413

JimboSlice413 Super Nice Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited 4x4, 2003 Sequoia
    Bilstein 5100/5160 Toyo at2 295/70r18 Ray10 GunMetal
    I would avoid dealing with their insurance, that's what you pay yours for. Insurance companies are snakes and unless you're really versed in these laws, which I am not, they may let you put yourself in an unfavorable position. Unfortunately, I'm speaking from experience here

15. Feb 5, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Good looking out. My insurance knows about it. I’ll call them to update them about everything and ask them questions about this. I completely forgot about that. My wife called our insurance company. I called theirs.

JimboSlice413[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Feb 19, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Epic failure. Not even close. No metallic flake in the paint. They even over sprayed the og paint black. You can see the yellow on the right side of the og paint and no yellow just bland orange paint. So they are re spraying the truck again. They have no chance of matching it. They will have to repaint the entire truck for it to match. They tried to sell me on it like it was perfect but when I used my flashlight and put it 1 inch away from the og paint and showed them all the sparkles like diamonds in the paint and then showed them their paint and no diamonds at all. The painted it the inferno paint on the non pro tundras which does not have my same paint. It’s more dull I feel, at least from what I’ve seen. The full shot you can see how lighter orange the paint is and it looks more red on the og paint in the front half of the truck only the bed was sprayed. This is going to be a ongoing nightmare. Over 7500 in damage was found with a bent frame and buckled bed on both sides. When they polish out the black on the curves they will weaken the clear coat. If you know anything about detailing you would know that polishing curves is a bad move cause the paint is weaker and thinner usually. ED428F34-C5EF-43E4-B380-17557B56DF7B.jpg1BC0D64F-FB7B-4AF0-922A-2A9B2AB21FC9.jpg

17. Feb 19, 2020 at 6:38 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    I know it’s a truck and scratches and shit will happen but damn that shit is off. In person it’s way worse. Best part was that they tried to say it was on point with matching it. Now they are contacting their paint rep to see how to fix it properly. Once I showed them the flashlight difference they saw it and agreed that there was no pearl in the paint.

18. Feb 19, 2020 at 6:45 PM
    sr5shark

sr5shark Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    Fox & ADS | SCS SR8 | Nitto RG
    Uggg - that sucks. Damage from wheeling is fine but it's got to look right straight out of the shop.

Did they finally agree with you that it was wrong?

19. Feb 19, 2020 at 6:48 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Ya they saw it. They tried to say put it in the sun to show the pearl and it was not there at all compared to the front. Unfortunately for them, I am extremely detailed about my shit especially my paint. And that dent on the passenger side you see if you zoom in was from a tree branch I ran over Offroad before I got sliders. War wounds from wheeling are definitely ok, cause I did it. But that shit was epic failure. Was nice and shiny though. But wrong color.

20. Feb 19, 2020 at 6:55 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Also the gram lights I had put on right before the accident. all four wheels were scratched during install. So now I have to remove them again and put my methods back on and going to get them powder coated deep metallic blue like the color of my IS350. Or match the kings shocks blue. D4FCCB75-2366-4FDC-9177-D02F3DE6E690.jpgEAF744F7-815E-46E8-AC97-A9ED0F41DA74.jpg

Mountun Goat likes this.
  21. Feb 19, 2020 at 6:56 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Like these hyper blue ones. Since nobody can match that bronze. I called around. Not happening.

D8514F73-A9F1-41B7-AAAC-5D6C7F8387DE.jpg

Mountun Goat likes this.
  22. Feb 19, 2020 at 7:49 PM
    viha22

viha22 MAGA

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Limited Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
    Op make sure your wife goes to the chiropractor to get checked out ..Sometimes while you are in shock you dont feel the pain .5 years ago me and my wife got hit in the parking lot of the hospital(very minor accident ) and our backs and necks were hurting for couple of years even after going to the chiropractor for almost 6 months for adjustments.Got paid $9k for pain and suffering.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Jimes[OP] likes this.
  23. Feb 19, 2020 at 8:33 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    My wife became permanently disabled when she was 25 from being a pre school teacher. Messed up her back and hip cause the school did not supply changing tables and they had to change the kids diapers on the floor. Had to have hip surgery to repair her labrum. Shave it down basically. Made it worse after the surgery. She’s 35 now and so far she doesn’t feel any more pain than usual so for now we just want the truck fixed. I told her to get chiropractic treatment cause it actually works just cause but she doesn’t want too. She said she would if she felt more pain.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  24. Feb 19, 2020 at 9:45 PM
    viha22

viha22 MAGA

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Limited Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
    My lawyer said that if you dont go to ER or chiropractor following the accident,
    you basically cant prove to insurance that you had pain /emotional suffering and won’t be compensated for that .Keep in mind human body is more complicated than your truck ,there can be a lot of hidden damage that will reveal itself in time .I would worry about my wife more than the truck being fixed but thats just me .

25. Feb 20, 2020 at 4:07 AM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    The wife is definitely more important to me than the truck. But when it comes to her listening to me about going to the doctors, she doesn’t listen. She says she feels back to normal so that’s why she wouldn’t go. I told her several times to go. She only went to the doctors to get muscle relaxers and after taking those for two days she stopped and said she feels fine. She said that if she was in our IS350, she probably wouldn’t be saying or feeling the same way and would look for treatment. It’s obviously a little late now.

26. Feb 21, 2020 at 3:05 AM
    SIMPLYTHETRUTH

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD
    Sounds like my wife no doctors until the ambulance come. Women can be just as thick headed like us men. It all depends on practices docs you go to. If you have to drag her to seek treatment sooner the better help healing. I think it custom graphics time for the truck. Do a coverup or get an artist to custom air brush the truck. Get something meaning full if they can’t get the repaint down. It will never be the same unless that body shop has a high grade baker. They may strip down and re-primer 1st. Baking process is what helps. Everything has to be right setup. Also for as flakes it makes the paint weaker. They can use little flake and wet sand to spread out. Looking like more flake. I hope they know there shit but it seems that they don’t. You should be able to go else where and insurance will cover. But I’m liking graphics or air brush something cool and wild. Good luck brother. Keep bitching to insurance company if not happy on the 2 retake. Keep posted. As for wheels maybe brass monkey wheels have something in style for you.

D4x4TRD likes this.
  27. Feb 21, 2020 at 3:34 PM
    Big dave

Big dave Junk it baby

Member:
    First Name:
    Big dave
    Ft wroth Tejas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO luner rock
    1996 Tahoe 2dr 4x4 2021 4 runner
    :monocle:
    Insurance bro!

28. Feb 21, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    So the latest news is that they’re Sherwin Williams paint rep is coming out on Monday to look at the paint and see what to do to match the paint. I wish Toyota would work with body shops and sell them the paint so it can be close at least. And I agree that if the process of prepping, priming and baking is different it won’t match either. Should be interesting on how this goes. As of now the price the insurance is paying before the repaint is at $8379 so far with only 2300 in parts. If they can’t match it or come even close like this time, I’ll see about having them pay to wrap the truck cause they can’t do it right. The insurance promised that my truck will return to me exactly as it was. (Not possible since frame was bent). And obviously the paint issue. So if they can’t get it right. Then what happens? That’s my question for them on Monday when I talk to the paint rep with them in person. If I wrap it I want an inferno camo. As for the wheels. They are perfectly fine, just scratched. I still have the method grids I had before the gram lights. So I’m just going to swap wheels again and get the gram lights painted that hyper blue. They’ll be the only hyper blue gram lights out there. Lol. Maybe. I keep going back and forth if I should just leave them as is cause it seems like a lot of work since I wheel the truck and they will get scratched again. We’ll see.

29. Feb 21, 2020 at 6:40 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Ya it’s all going thru his insurance right now.

30. Feb 21, 2020 at 6:42 PM
    Jimes

Jimes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Funny thing was they asked if I wanted to fix my door that got hit by a tree branch. If they can’t match the paint now I couldn’t imagine if they repaired it and it was off too. At that point they would have to repaint the entire truck to match.

SIMPLYTHETRUTH likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top