1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why is the F150 so bad mouthed?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by wunderwerks, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:23 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I will comment in a different color. Great post!!

We agree on most things and I added a bit of information. I no longer own a Tundra due to my towing needs, but I will tell you this:

If tomorrow came and my Jeep and Camper were not so heavy, I would be getting a 17' Tundra again, no questions asked. I had my 12' Tundra for almost 4 years, 82000 miles, and I can honestly say I used the shit out of it. Not abused, but I did haul and tow a bunch of those 82000 miles.

2. Oct 17, 2016 at 8:09 AM
    toddvr

toddvr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Geneva, IL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Platinum Crewmax
    TRD Pro Grille, De-Chromed, Powder-coated OEM Wheels Black, 2" Front leveling kit, Bakflip G2 cover, Bed Auto Lock, Stubby Ant., Husky Liners, Tinted front windows, Remote Start.
    I have a 2007 Ford with 130K miles with zero issues over the past 10 years. Also have a 2014 Platinum Tundra I love as well and a 2017 Raptor on order. I think they are both great vehicles but Toyota clearly reigns for resale value if you calculate your Cost per mile of Ownership, as I always do. That is why I ordered the new Raptor, its the only Ford truck that holds its value like a Tundra.

3. Oct 17, 2016 at 9:25 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    A 2001 Supercrew is the reason why I have bought 2 Tacomas and will soon buy a Tundra. I was a diehard Ford owner for 25+ years. That said I had a 1997, year of a complete redesign, that had 187k on it when sold with nothing done except brakes, plugs, and a cat.

4. Oct 17, 2016 at 11:52 AM
    Chris70

Chris70 New Member

Member:
    We seem to be on the same page with most of our thoughts but......

I'll have to disagree on the apples to apples when comparing trim levels. Hell even a Lariat F150 can option out with..... leather heated/cooled seats, 360 degree camera, back up camera, adaptive cruise control,power running boards ( AMP ), trailer back up assist , heated steering wheel, lane keeping assist, tailgate step, power adjustable pedals, LED headlights, self park assist ( truck steers you do the gas and brake ) 6.5' bed with crew cab, and so on.

The F150 Lariat with above options will sticker for 58,000 to 62,000 but you can expect to pay 46,000 to 48,000.
    The Tundra platinum I'm considering is stickered at 52,000 and the dealer wont come under 48,000'
    So they also compare with actual purchase price.

Move up in trim level to a limited or platinum and you start getting things like massaging seats.

So I'll stand by my statment that a F150 Lariat or even a optioned out XLT compares directly with the platinum Tundra.

F150 XLT features that are not available on the SR5....

Heated seats, power adjustable pedals, trailer back up assist, adaptive cruise control, tailgate step, dual zone climate control, multiple choices in 18" and 20" rims. These are just off the top of my head.

My buddy bought an optioned out XLT stickered at 50,000 for 38,000. 38 is right about SR5 pricing.

That said, I still prefer the Tundra :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 17, 2016 at 1:58 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Me too because I do not need half the gizmos on the Ford. I have been backing trailers for 35 years and I do not remember the last time I parallel parked.

6. Oct 17, 2016 at 4:02 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    All I am saying is compare the lowest level to the lowest level truck, and visa versa.

I agree, the domestics have a lot more features in lower grade models, which doesn't bother me as much...but may bother a new potential buyer.

7. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:50 PM
    Chris70

Chris70 New Member

Member:
    I agree with you guys. Most of those F150 options don't really appeal to me....... but.

Would be nice if that Platinum Tundra had a few of them.

I'd like a better back up camera, the video quality was pretty bad in the Tundra.

Heated steering wheel

Adjustable pedal's really are helpful in finding a comfortable seating position

No 6.5' bed with the crew cab ..... well that just plain sucks. Not a deal breaker but close.

The JBL system is pretty pitiful. I was surprised how weak it was.

And the darn screen was totally washed out on a sunny day.

Self parking, 360 degree camera, trailer back up assist are things I don't feel a need for or even desire at all.

Just expected a Platinum or 1794 trim level to have adjustable pedals, heated steering wheel, better camera and a decent sounding audio system with a screen you can actually see on a sunny day.
    Most disappointing was the lack of power folding heated tow mirrors. Prefer tow mirrors but power fold is a must have.

I'm still considering the F150 and Tundra and may even add the Ram to the list.
    Love the interior storage on the Ram and that rambox in the fenders may be ugly but it would come in real handy for me.
    Just sold my 2003 Cummins Ram and that truck was solid and dependable. Just normal maintenance and two recalls for a power steering hose and tranny line ( both fixed before I took delivery of the truck ) only failure was a HVAC blend door.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  8. Oct 18, 2016 at 12:12 AM
    FlashCulprit

FlashCulprit ColoradoTJ's whipping boy/Gino's illegitimate son.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White SR5 TRD 5.7 4x4
    This. The backup cam was pretty meh. I thought about trading in my 2010 but the truck overall wasn't enough for me to justify having payments again. Plus, my 2010 is still a baby under 80k lol.

I will say in terms of drivability and comfort, I personally like the Tundra. It feels much more "hardy" to me.

9. Oct 19, 2016 at 3:13 PM
    wunderwerks

wunderwerks [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra SR5

GeoTerraPhile likes this.
  10. Oct 19, 2016 at 4:33 PM
    wunderwerks

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra SR5
    Sorry its taken so long to get back on the forum. Kidney stone that flat trashed me. Not over yet.

ColoradoTJ My dealership experience.
    Stopped in at Hendricks Toyota here in KC this last June. Looked at a 1794 that I liked. Nice young salesman showed me the whistles and bells and I asked for a brochure to see what all the Tundra options were available. Agreed to go inside and he pulls out a sheet and wants all my contact information. I refused and gave him my cell only as I felt he wouldn't give me the brochure until he had at least something of mine. I thought about giving him a wrong number but I liked the kid. He smiles and says "I understand". Introduction to a (pending heart attack) sales manager who had earlier given me the "fresh meat stink eye" from the far corner of the new very large showroom. Lots of 20 somethings running all over the place trying to make the customers think they must be selling the last Toyotas just off the assembly line. I could have walked out with a case of bottled water with all the offers that were made.
    Now the bad news: Two hours later I'm home and my phone rings: dealer customer care associate wants to know how my salesman "took care of me". I told him he did just fine, I liked him and do not call me for any more "reasons". I received 17 more phone calls over the next 2 weeks from both male and female from this dealership. The dumbest, lamest excuses for the calls. That sales manager must be a direct descendent of Albert Einstein as he knows he heads and shoulder smarter than any staff and definitely above any poor smuck that walks in their front door. I checked in August and asked for the young salesman I had met earlier. "He no longer works here" I was told. No doubt he was not pushy enough.

Stopped in at two other Toyota dealership later, both were like a breath of fresh air. Those Hendricks dealerships which are nationwide have got to be a meat grinder to work in. They give a worse name to an already disgusting term of "used car salesman".

Wrongside and ColoradoTJ like this.
  11. Oct 19, 2016 at 6:47 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    That kind of crap just makes me mad.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  12. Oct 20, 2016 at 5:15 PM
    Wrongside

Wrongside New Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra
    I'd assume that many here, like myself, have owned other makes of pickups. I've owned multiple GM and Dodge products, still own a Dodge 2500 CTD, but have only ever owned one F-150. Because one was all it took to learn my lesson. LOL.

Honestly couldn't care less what blows a guy's hair back- drive what you want- but I know from experience what I'll never own again.

13. Oct 20, 2016 at 6:41 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    +1, once you have owned a Ford 5.4 you will never go back

14. Oct 20, 2016 at 7:00 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    +2 Ford 5.4 triton

15. Oct 21, 2016 at 1:45 AM
    mverkaik

mverkaik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hamilton, MI
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CrewMax
    WeatherTech Floorliners Toyota Running Boards Reflex Liner Truxedo X15 Pro cover.
    I started contributing to this site a little over 10 years ago. A great resource.
    http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability
    It is only as good as owners reporting but it seems pretty accurate. Worth a look.

16. Oct 21, 2016 at 3:56 AM
    wunderwerks

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra SR5
    This is a great web site. Best head to head comparison I've ever seen that is based strictly on hard facts without boneheaded emotions adding into the equation. Thanks for this info.

Products Discussed in

To Top