1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why is the F150 so bad mouthed?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by wunderwerks, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Oct 9, 2016 at 7:43 AM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Love this guy! Got a vortec engine made out of real tornadoes. :rofl:

2. Oct 9, 2016 at 9:16 AM
    Krezz

Krezz Doesn't want to be new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax Hybrid TRD Pro
    oh shit this got me laughing out loud at my desk. Good way to kick off the afternoon.

3. Oct 9, 2016 at 7:13 PM
    dave91gt

dave91gt New Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 TRD Crewmax 4x4
    As a "Ford guy" I will say this. I'm in a Tundra over a bad dealer experience with a transmission warranty. I took the opportunity to lease a Tundra for two years. My F150 was a loaded Ecoboost screw. I think the domestics push technology so far that they outrun quality control. Toyota has perfected their truck in terms of reliability. But- at the expense of trying to keep up. I'm a big Ecoboost fan. My wife drives a 2015 Expedition with the Ecoboost. It screams. The 15+ F150 is a great truck. I've got friends with them. One is a 600 hp Roushcharged 5.0.
    That said- the Tundra does everything it's supposed to do and does it well.
    It's an old school truck. I really have no complaints. Mpg is decent, brakes are great, power is good, and it rides well. My only nit picks are the pretty loose handling compared to my old F150 and the transmission gearing in OD. I live in wv and even with over 400ft lbs and 4.30 gears it downshifts on hills.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  4. Oct 9, 2016 at 8:02 PM
    wunderwerks

wunderwerks [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra SR5
    Dave,
    Thanks for your response. What year was your truck that you had a tranny problem with?

5. Oct 9, 2016 at 8:25 PM
    StRanger7032

StRanger7032 New Member

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC Limited TRD OR
    I test drove a 2016 F-150 before buying my 3rd Tundra. I actually like Fords, having owned several in the past. I found the handling to be sloppy, and the transmission wanted to downshift at the slightest press of the gas. I didn't feel like the interior was the quality of the Tundra, either. Looking out the windshield, I got a strange view of the windshield wipers all the time, which I thought was distracting. I left wondering why the F-150 sells as well as it does. I average 18.5 MPG in my Tundra on hilly Colorado highways with some city driving mixed in.

6. Oct 9, 2016 at 8:56 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I would test drive all the trucks you can, then choose the top two. Go on these manufactures forums and research for yourself.

That is what I did, and the Tundra has been my weekend warrior and daily driver for almost 4 years. Has my truck needed some unscheduled repairs? Yep. Did warranty cover? Yep.

I would own another if I were staying in the 1/2 ton market. Unfortunately I am not and have to choose between the big three diesel one tons.

7. Oct 10, 2016 at 4:16 AM
    dave91gt

dave91gt New Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 TRD Crewmax 4x4
    2014. I had a random wrench light and noticed the transmission would limit upshifts to third gear. Dealer confirmed it was an electrical connector in the valvebody. Instead of replacing it (cheap $$), they cleaned it. Upon picking the truck up, it had ridiculously harsh shifts. Dealer told me to keep driving it. I did- until it started making noise. They told me 2-3 weeks on repair. I called 2 1/2 weeks in and they hadn't touched it. So I ended up trading it on the Tundra. The Tundra is my only other preference for a truck. My son and I drove a Tundra and new F150 back to back. He liked the F150 interior a lot more. But, if I were buying another F150, I want to wait on either the rumored diesel, or let the new EB and 10 speed prove themselves. If that happens at the end of my lease, I'll be back in the F150. Nothing wrong with the Tundra. I do like it.

driverdog and NewImprovedRon like this.
  8. Oct 10, 2016 at 5:50 AM
    650h1

650h1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rock Warrior C/M
    Tundra 5.7l with a SC will get over 17mpg... Just do that.

9. Oct 10, 2016 at 7:41 AM
    wunderwerks

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra SR5
    650h1'
    I'm still learning---what is the "SC"?

10. Oct 10, 2016 at 7:43 AM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    Supercharged :burnrubber:

Law323 and T-Rex266 like this.
  11. Oct 10, 2016 at 8:12 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Don't care too much at all for the aluminum body. Total turn off.

Law323, NewImprovedRon and Y0TA PR0 like this.
  12. Oct 15, 2016 at 11:06 AM
    astro-jason

astro-jason New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 CHEVROLET 3500 CC L/B Duramax 10spd
    I'm a factory trained FORD technician, working on Lincolns and Mercury's. I purchased a 2016 Tundra SR5 4X4, That should speak tons on the lack of longevity of the ford trucks. Yes with my discounts I could of got it cheap but didnt want to go cheap.

-Jason

13. Oct 15, 2016 at 4:39 PM
    wunderwerks

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra SR5
    I wonder if there is any research figures that show the percentage of problems for the different makes by year. Based on my '02, my Tundra would be a clear winner. I was surprised that Consumer Reports did "Not Recommend" the current Tundra. I think this is the first time I've ever seen a Tundra not recommended.

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  14. Oct 15, 2016 at 7:21 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    After tonight at a Ford dealership, the shit they pulled will make me not buy my first Ford. If their business practices are as shady as their trucks.....

15. Oct 15, 2016 at 7:31 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
  16. Oct 15, 2016 at 9:37 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Today at work I received a text message from a sales associate at Phil Long Ford stating he found me a truck. 2016 F350 longbox Lariat, diesel truck. It was white and black leather interior. He sent a picture of the sticker (partial) and a price of 51500.00. I was like "hells bells, that is $4k better than the others I have seen!"

I go in after work and greet the young strapping lad. He then takes me out to a 2017 F350 and tried to convince me that it was a 16. I finally had to show him the sticker and prove to him that is was in fact a 2017 and showed him the ever so slight differences with the 2015 F250 next to it. I then ask him why he is showing me a silver one. Then he said it was on its way from a different dealership and we should drive this one. I looked at him like a retard and pointed out the obvious again: silver, 2017, XLT, flippen gasser, etc....

So I figured it out that this was a ploy to get me into the dealership. So I am gonna enjoy this.

He then comes back and states the truck is in Denver and we can just do the paperwork and pick it up later. I laughed and looked at his sheet and the paperwork said 68,600.00. I looked at his text and said what flippen truck was this? But of course it was the silver one outside that matched almost none of my criteria except being a 1 ton. He then started the bullshit of "what can you afford then?"

I guess this sales manager takes me for a fool. I told him thank you for wasting everyone's time.

17. Oct 16, 2016 at 10:31 AM
    Large

Large New Member

Member:
    A lot of ford experts here on the tundra forum. Owned a 13 EB, sticker was $53k - I paid 38 OTD. The rebates were nuts. Did an $800 tune for 93 octane, got more hp and torque than a tundra with a 5.7, and still got 22 mpg. Towing mpg sucks, 10 constantly. That was with a 6k lb trailer. When you're just driving the truck and want to move, hit the gas and you will roast the tires through 3rd gear easy. If you tow light, like 500-2500#, you can't even tell a trailer is back there since you get most of the torque from 2500 rpm +

with that said the truck was in the shop twice for warranty work, the a/c in the seats stopped working, replaced a relay and it was good to go.
    the backup camera stopped working, again replaced a relay and it worked fine. truck has 75k? miles on it right now, still runs good. There was a small 'skid' plate under the transmission, it was flimsy, and you can bend it with your hands with minimal work. I hit a tree stump off road and it got ripped off.

Maintenance was easy, but messy. The filter sticks out on the engine block and when you take it off, excess oil runs down.
    7500 mile intervals, change cabin filter along with the ventilated seat filters annually was the only odd ball maintenance items.

18. Oct 16, 2016 at 10:52 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Some of these experts were owners. Do you still own the F150?

19. Oct 16, 2016 at 11:23 AM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Not nearly enough room here!
    What were the HP and Torque #'s for $800?

20. Oct 16, 2016 at 11:37 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    The HP gets around 375 and 427 Torque to the ground with a quality exhaust. Pretty impressive, until it comes apart. I helped a guy on one of the gun forums with his hopped up EB. That truck flat out shits and gits. Only issue is the repair bills and voided warranty. Reliability was not very good. He ended up selling it and buying a 2006 MegaCab Dodge with a Cummins.

One of my good friends has a 16' EB. I drove this truck around for a while. Impressive to say the least. Boiling over the tires is effortless without power braking...sucks for towing. He found out like I did the hard way. Lighter trucks with big power doesn't equate to a better tow rig. He gave up a 2015 F-250 Lariat...and regrets it every flippen day. More so on days he tows.

21. Oct 16, 2016 at 11:52 AM
    The Principal

The Principal New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 5.7 Crewmax
    I owned an 2010 f150 with the 5.4 v8. I liked the truck, but the transmission would upshift, sometimes when I took my foot off the gas. I would then press the gas and get no power, until a couple seconds passed and it eventually downshifted. Between that and when my third brake light leaked and flooded the cab, I decided to trade it in. I now drive a 2012 Tundra. I love it. I had a EB f150 rental while I was getting a dent fixed in my Tundra. I liked how hard the AC blew and the interior ergonomics, but the engine seemed underpowered until the turbo kicked in. It was nice, but I would have looked at a superduty if I was seriously considering a ford. I'll always double down on reliability, which Toyota provides.

22. Oct 16, 2016 at 12:12 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Wow......pathetic. Sad thing is sales idiots don't stop to realize they'd get more sales if they'd just be upfront and honest instead of trying to screw people with false hopes and false pretense.

23. Oct 16, 2016 at 1:54 PM
    FlashCulprit

FlashCulprit ColoradoTJ's whipping boy/Gino's illegitimate son.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White SR5 TRD 5.7 4x4
    I have a friend out here who is one of the lead mechanics at his dealership. He recommended staying away from current model raptors because of the ecoboost due to it's high failure rate. Do you see more 3.5's in the shop over the previous gen 6.2 V8's?

Still super interesting to see they ditched high output V8 for a forced induction system.

24. Oct 16, 2016 at 4:08 PM
    Chris70

Chris70 New Member

Member:
    I'm also in the market for a new truck, Tundra and f150 are at the top of my list. The local Toyota dealer was nice enough to let me take a white platinum for 24 hours :) My buddy has a 16 F150 2.7 ecoboost and came over so I compared both next to each other. Then drove both back to back :)
    My thoughts on both trucks.
    F150
    Much more up to date interior Audio/information systems are light years ahead of the Tundra.
    Seats, not very comfortable ( for me ) Preferred the brakes, found them responsive but not touchy. ( Tundra seemed like you need a very light foot)
    Engine, I was shocked, that little 2.7 ecoboost has a ton of torque. Felt more powerful than the 5.7 at 1/4 to 3/4 pedal. Floor both trucks and The Tundra feels stronger but at normal every day driving the baby ecoboost has so much torque.
    The 2.7 eco did feel less refined and not quite as smooth as the 5.7.
    Sound, 5.7 wins by a long shot. Really a great sounding v8.
    Bed, nice that Ford offers a 6.5' bed with the crew cab.
    Aluminum body, the quality control is not up to snuff. Panel gaps not consistent.

Tundra

Interior dated, JBL audio pretty much sucks.
    Seats MUCH more comfortable ( for me, subjective)
    Brakes, a bit touchy but feel powerful, I'd adjust to the feeling.
    Steering, VERY light. I love the steering of the Tundra but I would think many people would find it too light.
    Engine ( 5.7 ) great sound, smooth and refined feel, powerful but you need 3/4 pedal or more to feel that power. Seems weak in the low end torque.
    Over all build quality seems much higher everything from body panel alignment to how the doors close.

More thoughts

The Tundra handles better for me, smoother a bit softer. The F150 did feel a tad firmer and more sporty but I want a truck not a sports car. The Tundra absorbed bumos better.

Looks/appeal Tundra hands down, F150's are so common it gets boring to look at.

Back seat comfort, I give the nod to the Tundra. The F150 flat floor seems better if you haul more stuff than people.

Driver comfort, loved the Tundra, F150 not so much. The seats seem smaller, less comfortable and if I have the seat how I want it, my left knee rests right on a sharp corner from the arm rest. That soft spot just to the left of your knee cap.... ouch. I drive with my legs spread out a bit ( big balls ) may not be an issue for other people.

Engines, I'd probably get a 5.0 if I go F150 but have not driven one yet.

MPG holy hell drove the Tundra and F150 on the same loop. Tundra got 14 and the little 2.7 ecoboost was 26.....wow !

My buddy drives like a granny but he is averaging 24mpg the truck has 4000 miles now.

Price, this is where I have an issue. My friends truck is a loaded xlt that stickered at 50,000 he special ordered it got delivery in just over 4 weeks and paid 38,000 before taxes !!!!

The platinum I test drove is stickered at 52,000 and the dealer won't come under 48,000

Honestly the F150 XLT ( with options ) is much more up to date inside, better audio, better infotainment system, better back up camera. Power adjustments for brake gas pedal and so on.

The Tundra platinum compares with a very loaded XLT or average Lariat F150, trucks that sticker from 49,000 to 58,000 but you can buy them much cheaper.

I have a hard time spending 10,000 more for the Tundra. Think the Tundra is a better truck ( for me ) but a bit dated and over priced.

The Tundra platinum seems most comparable with a Lariat F 150 but Ford offers the king ranch, platinum and limted trims above that. They are light years ahead of the Tundra platinum when it come to interior, cameras and all the electronic doo dads. Get the right rebates and time of year at your at or below the Tundra price. :(

Bothers me to be considering the Tundra plat at 46-48ish and knowing the audio sucks, the backup camera looks like its from 1982 and no adjustment for the pedals or a heated steering wheel.

Come on Toyota, I love the Tundra but your a decade behind in the interior options but priced above the competition.

The flip side, no doubt the Tundra is reliable partly because its dated. Thats a big plus for me.
    I like the V8 sound and trust it long term over the ecoboost motors.
    Much better quality control on the Tundra.

Pretty sure I get a slight erection when I look at the Tundra....may need 3-4 beers before I sleep with the Ford. :)

Possible Tundra issues

Steering rack
    Cam tower leak
    Rust ?

Possible F150 issues

Leaking moonroof
    Wind noise bad door alignment/door seals
    Long term aluminum body issues ?
    Ecoboost issues
    Transfer case noise
    Vacuum hub issues
    Poor self image because Im not in a Tundra
    Leaking 3rd brake light
    Master cylinder failure ( the NHTSA just opened Another investigation into F150 3.5 ecoboost brake failure)

ColoradoTJ, Tundra Fan and driverdog like this.
  25. Oct 16, 2016 at 6:11 PM
    FumundaTundra

FumundaTundra Director of civil unrest

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Central WA.
    Vehicle:
    2009 5.7 Tundra Double cab
    Many to come.
    I kinda fell into my Tundra. I was eyeballing a 6.0 GMC at the dealer. I drove it and was far less than impressed. It was a 2012 iirc so maybe it had some "bad" miles on it or something. Had no snap, nothing, felt like my old 300ci Ford Bronco (great rig btw). Anyhow, the salesman kept yammering about that damned 'Yota, so I drove it. Game over. Ford? No way in Hell! Over priced and under powered. Hell, 25 years ago I knew they were s^&t!

driverdog and NewImprovedRon like this.
  26. Oct 17, 2016 at 6:25 AM
    astro-jason

astro-jason New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 CHEVROLET 3500 CC L/B Duramax 10spd
    When your out and about, just look at the parking area for the service department at a ford dealership, that will answer your question, regarding the 3.5eb. If i was to purchase a f-150 It would be the 5.0

As for ditching the 6.2 V-8 only thing I can think of is, less parts to build = more profit, if the same engine fits all of your 1/2 ton trucks your making more $$$$$$$$ over quality.

As for the infotainment systems, That's a whole mess of issues shit, it's windows based how much do you like the windows operating system on how stable it is L.O.L.

Just remember this is all just my personal opinion.

-Jason

FlashCulprit[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:01 AM
    Benni

Benni New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    ........the only thing about buying a truck that you should be concerned is reliability, this is because you are looking for something that is nothing less than a workhorse.

You never want your workhorse to breakdown in the middle of towing or hauling things that weigh thousands of pounds, you will not believe how absolutely pissed you will become if that happens & you are in the middle of the Mojave Desert or pulling your boat out of the water to load it on to the boat trailer.

Gizmos & gadgets that are now being put inside so many pickups do not add one iota of utility value for hauling firewood from the backside of my property, or taking down trees that get hung up among other trees because I slightly miscalculated the angle of the fall of the tree.

I had a Chevy Cargo Van for my environmental engineering business for which I needed a monthly budget for repair work. Never had these kinds of problems with four different models of Toyota trucks.

28. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:07 AM
    signalbobby

signalbobby New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra PRO & 4R PRO
    Bait and switch to get a FERD. Sorry man.

29. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:11 AM
    signalbobby

signalbobby New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra PRO & 4R PRO
    Im curious to how much shifting the new raptor with a 10speed is going to do. My wife's acura has a 9-speed and it shifts way too much and all day long. Little worried that it'll prematurely fail.

30. Oct 17, 2016 at 7:12 AM
    pbryant44

pbryant44 New Member

Member:
    Panama city florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra 4wd sr5 tss
    I drive 10 miles a day. I didn't want to replace the turbos in a f150 at 40,000 miles because they are worn out cause I am only drive in the city on short frequent stop trips. That's why I bought a tundra. It's a truck and I could care less about gas mileage. I know it'll get me to work on time and safely. It'll also haul what I need to haul.

Products Discussed in

To Top