1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why don't you put your general location in your profile?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tvpierce, May 3, 2023.

1. May 3, 2023 at 8:26 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Too late. I gave the secret agent your Latitude and longitude coordinates.

2. May 3, 2023 at 8:50 PM
    CTundraForMe

CTundraForMe New Member

Member:
    There's usually enough info spilled here by any one member across all their posts to piece together a good picture of who they are and where they are.

Granted it's not like insane FB. But to each their own.

3. May 4, 2023 at 4:06 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Not if you get the patriotic plate. That one gives no clue where in the state you live.

shifty`[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 4, 2023 at 4:44 AM
    Ohannon7

Ohannon7 New Member

Member:
    Central Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 5.7 4WD CM Bench-Seat Silver
    6” Pro Comp 37’s Custom audio and interior Off road capability is current focus
    I’m gonna find you and “make you pay” crazies aside, I still think ppl don’t list location bc of stereotypes which ultimately render their opinion worthless.

here are some fun regional stereotypes that i may or may not have, what about you???

1. NE tags like NY or Maine know nothing about souther mud slinging and should focus on rust prevention posts. Only drives truck 3 months a year.
    2. Midwest guys use their truck for work purposes and is their daily driver too
    3. Arizona, UT, NV are the coolest dudes on the web bc they have the terrain and stickers we all want.
    4. Colorado guys are superior bc they drive our trucks up stuff, taking the ultimate high ground
    5. SE tundra owners are probably on meth and all comments should be discarded

:boink:

5. May 4, 2023 at 5:06 AM
    RichterScale

RichterScale I identify as a potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WNY
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCRB as base as it gets
    pin stripes (+5 hp)
    Stereo types originate from some semblance of truth, but I think most adults who have a few miles under their belt, use stereo types in jest. Especially these days, where people easily and frequently travel all over the country (and move around a lot) and meet people from all over.
    What I've noticed is that the weather changes, the accents change and there are minor social/cultural quirks that vary slightly from region to region. But for the most part, people are the same everywhere and we all deal with the same bullshit. Some of the bullshit is packaged a little differently, but it all smells the same.

6. May 4, 2023 at 5:07 AM
    RichterScale

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WNY
    Vehicle:
    pin stripes (+5 hp)
    Fun fact: we actually have more horseshit than bullshit up here in WNY.

NWPirate likes this.
  7. May 4, 2023 at 6:11 AM
    NWPirate

NWPirate Tesla kool-aid connoisseur

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 TRD CM 2004 TRD Snow Goat
    :rofl: What do ya got for
    6. PNW??

Jarrow and landphil like this.
  8. May 4, 2023 at 6:26 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Granola-eating SJW hippies, but crazy, so basically the west coast's version of Maine in a yin/yang kinda flavor?

Except a couple of my favorite 1GT members relocated to PNW and they totally DO NOT fit that bill.

Yeah, I'd intended to mention it being a good reason to have a vanity plate, but got mentally sidetracked.

Same reason I keep a plate surround on mine, covering up the county I'm from. When I'm driving anywhere else in GA, given most of my fishing holes are a bit outta town. I get judged just the same, people shaking their head, "ugh, city folk...", prejudice is a double-edged sword. But I refuse to sport the "In god we trust" sticker on my tag in lieu of the county sticker, I don't need any of the religious crap inspired by Eisenhower's strong-arming back in the 50s. I'm still perturbed he managed to change our pledge of allegiance.

I mean hell, look at what I just wrote. There's clearly a grain of truth in every stereotype. :rofl:

Last edited: May 4, 2023
  9. May 4, 2023 at 6:38 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    God bless you, even if you don't want him to. :p

10. May 4, 2023 at 6:45 AM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:

11. May 4, 2023 at 6:50 AM
    NWPirate

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like @RainMan_PNW @Green Thunder @jewsNbrews @20GR8 Super to me! :rofl:

Can't blame you for having that stereotype.
    The complete opposite is more common up here though, we're just not as loud. :D

RainMan_PNW and jewsNbrews like this.
  12. May 4, 2023 at 6:53 AM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    RainMan_PNW and NWPirate[QUOTED] like this.
  13. May 4, 2023 at 7:15 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Oh, I know. Not my stereotype, but is the stereotype of many of the meth-smoking hillbillies down here in the southeast, to which I'd also add Floridistan, even though it's arguable whether it's truly "The South". :boink:

Hallelujah, alhamdulillah. Send my regards, l'chaim.

14. May 4, 2023 at 7:18 AM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:
    Someone’s feeling spicy

15. May 4, 2023 at 7:18 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Sorry, it's the meth talking! :rofl:

NWPirate likes this.
  16. May 4, 2023 at 7:54 AM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:
    I remember back in 2010 when we moved from CA to MO. Everyone assumed we were salad-eating, surfing, hippy liberals that lived near the beach.

My wife and I grew up in the foothills of gold country - full of rednecks country folk, meth heads, and blue-collar Joes, all of which I was a part of.

Its frustrating dealing with such a high-level of ignorance. Having daily to explain we’re not vegans, we’re not liberals and we don’t surf. After that experience, we just started lying about where we were originally from to avoid assumptions.

What we are, are conservative, gun-loving, freedom-loving, God-loving Americans.

17. May 4, 2023 at 8:02 AM
    JRS

JRS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    AI scrapes public sites all the time. Hell, my small group partnered with a Canadian team to ID trends in our sector after finding them at CES a few years ago. Not disagreeing with the sentiment of "not much to be lost by putting it," but the short, upcoming years will have deeper models obtaining/profiling more info.

Of course it'll likely all go into marketing so targeted ads can become even more annoying and not going to be used by some pissed off crackhead showing up to steal your guns.

shifty` likes this.
  18. May 4, 2023 at 9:25 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Thing is, it's already happening today, it's already too late. Web crawlers have collected and indexed ample content posted at every corner of the internet for decades. www.archive.org is one of many public places you have to parse through it all, but there's dozens (probably hundreds) of private ones already in place for just as long or longer, dating waaaay back to times long before the general population was even basically savvy with PII protection.

What anyone puts for their location on this forum is like a grain of sand in the Mojave at this point in time. Like I said, far too late, so stopping now, or even starting now, won't make any meaningful difference. Pandoras box is opened, there's no closing it now and even if you could, too many others have their hands on the prize to roll it back.

We were there 15, 20, maybe even 25 years ago now at this point, and I'm not talking about that 2A tail-end to your sentence. Smartphones and social media amplified all of it though, not AI. AI will ultimately optimize how it's stored, accessed, processed, and strung together.

Here's the thing... we've got a problem with lack of understanding, lack of thinking. Being "smart" and "thinking" outside of a specific window has been and is still being thoroughly demonized, and folks are sadly too ignorant to realize it. We see this daily, but the words get changed to keep it less obvious. Take "woke" for example. What is telling someone to "stop being woke" actually saying? "Don't think outside of the little box I've been conformed to live in". And people get MAD about other people being "woke", i.e. thinking independently or different from what they do. So mad they'll run steamrollers over perfectly good beer, or shoot it up to get Twitter views, which conveniently pads their pockets or helps with maintaining their seat in office.

But what does it actually do to the user, who takes crafted terms like that and regurgitates it like a bad talking point? It causes them to separate themselves from someone/something, it stops you from branching out and experiencing other viewpoints, from learning new things, maybe from seeing the truth: That the person living right next door that's clearly different from you in some ways is actually OK, and more like you than different from you. It separates us, tears us apart, as it was intended to do.

Ignorance - and I'm not saying stupidity when I use that word, stupidity is something different - Ignorance is simply a lack of knowing or understanding things. Like ...

You've got people concerned about putting their state in a forum profile. Yet they openly hand over their freaking fingerprint data to their smartphone to simplify unlocking it, then don't understand they've also allowed some installed apps controlled by who-knows-what to access their biometrics. That's ignorance.

Scared to put their city in a forum profile, yet they let their children, or themselves, install things like Instgram for the face filters to manipulate your face, and guess which databases all those faces are going? That's ignorance.

Scared to give any clues about where they are geographically, yet willing to have apps like TikTok on their tablet or smartphone, or on devices of their loved ones, despite the app having known proxied backdoors to the PRC for pulling data off your phone, a nation state who has actively been caught using algorithms which send their own people positive, educational content, while targeting citizens of other nations with toxic content. That's ignorance.

OK with giving their iris data to ... who? ... for things like Clear, to make moving through airports easier. OR giving your DNA to 23andMe under the guise of "fun data about yourself" or "medical research", but ... you have no legal right to control what they do with that data, and even if you did, there's no current oversight to ensure they're not, and no realistic penalty beyond a pithy less-than-1% (or less) of their profits if they get caught.

The problem isn't AI, nor is it new. The problem is ignorance, a lack of awareness of why talking heads are coming up with these discrete keywords and allowing businesses to do stuff like this. Of course, they don't understand it all either.

Look, multiple entities already have a years-long or decades-long profile built up on each and every one of us based on our surfing habits, our purchases. Online mega-vendors like scAmazon? They track everything on you, everything you buy, everything you search for. Your ISP is and is actively collecting data on you right now to sell to others, legally, and with absurdly flimsy limitations put in place by our representatives in all states, red, blue or purple.

Maybe some hardcore folks are on VPN here, but there's a solid chance your VPN provider is doing it also, because they're legally allowed to, and whether disclosed or not, read the fine print. Your web browser, or some add-on you have in it is potentially collecting info on you, Google does it through Chrome near-religiously. Hope you're not browsing on an Android device, because I have some horror stories you don't want to hear about that ... not that Apple is much better, Android is just the wild-wild west.

Even if net neutrality wasn't crippled - and yep, there's another term or phrase that was used to control people's opinions to give up your rights, net neutrality - even if it was intact, big brother has eyes in a strategic places along the backbone to keep dibs, as does most every other 1st world nation.

This is not conspiracy theory, this is real life, it's what folks have allowed to happen, and conned by talking heads into believing what's best for us, the economy, jobs, etc.

In light of that, listing your city, or county, or state on your profile on a forum is a drop in the bucket. AI will be able to scrape together that data in realtime eventually, but we're already a long way into that journey based on the last 20 years of efforts to let big business do whatever the hell they want, all our privacy be damned. :D

Since you've witnessed using AI to manage that scrape though, I'm sure you saw how easily it'd be to track individuals down even without using forums as a data source.

I definitely share shades of the above picture you painted, while definitely American.

I'm just glad we have variety over here, nationally and even here on Tundras.com, because if everyone looked and acted like you, or looked and acted like me, this would be a boring af place to be.

My take on life is and always will be: I don't care what you look like, I don't care what you believe in, and I don't care where you're from - but maybe list that in your profile on Tundras.com? :D - you're always welcome at my table, any day, as long as you (A) don't try to force me to subscribe to your beliefs, because that's not what freedom means (B) don't infringe on my rights to do or say whatever I want as long as it's not hurting anyone else, (C) by extension, don't do or say stupid shit with the intent to hurt others, and (D) Mind your own business on stuff that doesn't concern you and yours.

I don't fit neatly in anyone's boxes, and I hope that makes folks uncomfortable. Discomfort is usually followed by growth and learning, regardless whether you're lifting weights or challenging stereotypes.

Unfortunate thing is, I dunno who I can easily invite to the table, because not everyone puts their location in the profile, so I don't know who's close enough :rofl:

19. May 4, 2023 at 9:33 AM
    Hummer

Hummer New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 Suicide Cab 250K
    Studs Baby, Studs!

Yes, the increasing frequency of targeted ads are a harbinger of the totalitarian society to come. Opting out is little protection.

Shifty's story of the stolen plate number and the toll company's refusal to cooperate in negating costs of the theft is an example of what everyone will face as business and govt become increasingly untouchable and omnipotent monsters.

I've never used the pop social media like facebook, twitter, etc., but I live a fairly public life. In more professional BBs and forums where ones name and location are required I'm not troubled that everyone knows who I am and where I live. We're friends.

I frequently post photos but always conceal auto licenses and firearm serial numbers. In forums like this, no one needs to know exactly where I live. In my mountain community there are only four year-around occupied residences, expanding to ~80 summer residents. I'd be easy to find. But so far, no one has posed a threat, probably because I hang out where good people are, and possibly because they know I could track them down.... :cool:

GODZILLA likes this.
  20. May 4, 2023 at 9:42 AM
    RichterScale

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WNY
    Vehicle:
    pin stripes (+5 hp)
    Great,....I read that entire post. And they know I read the whole thing.
    Now I'm probably on the same watch list you are

shifty` likes this.
  21. May 4, 2023 at 9:45 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Tennessee checking in. This is accurate.

Ohannon7[QUOTED], JMB and shifty` like this.
  22. May 4, 2023 at 9:53 AM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    Just because I hold the title on three Subarus didn’t make me a lesbian…

does it?

23. May 4, 2023 at 9:57 AM
    JRS

JRS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    @shifty` - perfectly said. Was trying to not open that can here, hence the brevity. I try not to 'preach' because of, well, exactly what you laid out.

shifty` likes this.
  24. May 4, 2023 at 10:05 AM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    All cancelled out on the count of a B.A. Tundra also in the driveway.

But you may still be a lesbian

25. May 4, 2023 at 10:13 AM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    https://youtube.com/shorts/TZE3Z-QMyNY?feature=share

26. May 4, 2023 at 10:24 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Mr.bee[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. May 4, 2023 at 11:41 AM
    NWPirate

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    WA
    Vehicle:
    :rofl:
    :fistbump:

jewsNbrews and GODZILLA like this.
  28. May 4, 2023 at 12:01 PM
    snoope

snoope The Old Man

Member:
    Those that need to know, know :D

This place can get confusing to some already , add in a Yankee living in Florida full time would BLOW their "Panties off " :hattip:

GODZILLA likes this.
  29. May 4, 2023 at 12:24 PM
    tvpierce

tvpierce [OP] Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    This, by the way, was one of the funniest SNL skits I've seen in a very long time. Actually, all of the Black Jeopardy skits are great... this one was just a standout.

JasonC.[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. May 4, 2023 at 12:39 PM
    tvpierce

tvpierce [OP] Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    Well said. I wish more people thought like you... and I!

EDIT: Re-reading my post, it came off as closed minded on my part.

What I should have said was, "I wish more people thought like that!"

Products Discussed in

To Top