1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why did you buy your truck?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by mudslinger79, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jun 14, 2018 at 8:53 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Just a country boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    21 Limited Cement CM TRD OF
    Always been a truck guy. I've had Ford, Dodges, Jeep. Bought a new Tacoma in 08 and feel in love with it. Put 197k on it and was looking at the new Tacos but didn't like what I was hearing about the 3.5L engine and the new transmission. Loaded up the fam (wife and 3 kids) and went truck shopping. As soon as we sit in the CM Tundra my decision was already made for me. They feel in love with the room and comfort immediately. Bought the truck and haven't had any regrets. The only problem I find is my wife wants to drive my truck all the time and wants me to take her SUV. I don't like driving her Volvo XC90 because I get weird looks from other guys when I drive it.

2. Jun 14, 2018 at 9:00 AM
    Max Power

Max Power Groovy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    TRD Dual Exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar
    I had a 2016 Tacoma and had grown to utterly loathe the underpowered engine, garbage transmission, and abysmal ride quality. My friend has a 2014 Tundra that he let me drive, and that was all I needed. It was absolutely the right decision. I love my Tundra. Honestly it's strange thinking that Toyota is the same manufacturer, I can't figure out how they managed to do everything perfectly with the Tundra but fouled the Taco up so much.

Notachickmagnet likes this.
  3. Jun 14, 2018 at 9:39 AM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    Winjet Rear brake lights, leather seats, BackFlip tonneau cover, Spyder headlights, Pro Grille, pop&lock
    The first 4 wheeled vehicles I drove were trucks. Got my learners permit and license with Dad's mid to late 90's Ford 3/4 ton Extended Cab Extended bed. I hated driving that tank...
    I bought my grandpa's 1/2 ton chevy after he died... I think it was late 70's as it had no airbags.
    1984 Datson pickup (standard transmission). This was a fun little truck. Not without it's problems, but it was light and the manual transmission was fun!

Dad had a little Ford Ranger from the 90's before he got the 3/4 ton. I liked that truck. I had a girlfriend with a late 90's tacoma TRD. I liked little trucks.

I wanted to get a Taco, but wife was pregnant with our 3rd. the other two were 1.5 and 5 at the time.. so we will have to deal with 3 carseats for a while... (what's the age limit on getting out of a carseat now? 21??)

I was driving my grandmas Chevy Malibu at the time (bought that from my uncles after she died). I knew 3 carseats would not comfortably fit in that back seat, so it was time for an upgrade. I wanted a truck for homedepot things and eventually hauling toys (I like camping, and wife likes the comforts of home...).

I wanted a reliable and capable truck as I imagine this will be my last "new" vehicle for a while.

I shopped Ford and RAM (I always liked the looks of the Dodge pickups). My Brother In Law is A Die Hard Toyota guy.
    Doing some research Ford and RAM failed on reliability. Ford also cost a lot more for a comparable package.
    I settled on the Tundra for reliability and price. and decided to look for a used one. Found one, but it was 10k cheaper than the SR5 5.7l I was looking at new. It looked like it'd been a little beat up. I got talked into buying new.

I kinda wish I got the pearl blue 4x4, but didnt want the extra maintenance cost on the 4x4 as I'm not likely to use it. I could be wrong but I was always warned off of buying 4x4 if you werent likely to use it.

I doubt I'll be shopping for another truck anytime soon. I like not having all the safety bells and whistles... some would be fine, but I want to be able to turn them off. Not to mention... Buying trucks is a PITA! a billion different combination of options. The last few cars I bought new was like: Pick your trim (usually only 3 or 4), you can add a few packages, but if you go up to the next trim line all that's included. No real engine options between trim lines.
    Trucks you have to research the engines & configurations (Which transmission? gear ratio?). Then the packages that are offered with that engine.. wait, which of the 8 trim lines was this again?? It's a bit overwhelming.

4. Jun 14, 2018 at 10:29 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Because I planned to buy a full size to take me in retirement. The purchase happened a little sooner than I planned. 10 mpg pulling boat and 21 gallon tank on the Tacoma was not a good combo. The fact that the Tundra handles the load better is a perk. As far as the Tundra goes it was the BFG ATs. I need a beefy tire on the ranch I hunt. While I did not want 20" wheels the tires were first priority. I have swapped new tires in the past and you normally take a bath on the used ones. I had a good price on a TRD OR. In fact it was as low as my local dealer was going but changed gears when I saw the TSS had the BFGs.

Notachickmagnet and HecticEnergy like this.
  5. Jun 14, 2018 at 3:04 PM
    jdg1982

jdg1982 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Roads, LA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tundra SR5 4x4
    Drove the Audi, got the Pup, wasn’t allowing her to ride in the Audi, bought a tacoma, hated it, traded it for a Tundra after 3 months.. Short answer, so that I could take my pup everywhere with me...

IMG_0216.jpg

geno0506, JC303, JoshuaA and 4 others like this.
  6. Jun 14, 2018 at 3:07 PM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    Damn good reason in my book...

jdg1982[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jun 14, 2018 at 3:55 PM
    Audie

Audie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Audie
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRDOR Crewmax Super White
    I wanted a truck to put my motorcycle in the back since I have no space for a trailer. Plus I have 3 pups. Knew I wanted a Toyota for resale. Test drove the Taco, but was disappointed. Thought the Tundra would be too big. Two minutes in to the test drive I was sold. Went crewmax for the roll down back window which I love.

8. Jun 14, 2018 at 4:16 PM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    Winjet Rear brake lights, leather seats, BackFlip tonneau cover, Spyder headlights, Pro Grille, pop&lock
    That should be standard on all trucks. I mean, come on...

jewsNbrews likes this.
  9. Jun 14, 2018 at 6:35 PM
    fordguy1470

fordguy1470 Member-ish

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    22 CM SR5
    Getting there
    I've pretty much always driven Ford. First Ford was a 68 F250 ranger camper special, and I've had many since. When I was looking at getting out of my escape, I was certain it was going to be into another F150.

I was absolutely shopping for a truck I was going to keep more than a few years. This time around I decided to do some comparison shopping and looked at a 2.7 EB XLT, a 1500 Dodge, and a Tundra. I started lurking here and reading about everyone's overall positive experiences with the tundra. Some of you here are well aware of the difference between here and F150 forums.

In the end what sold me was the superior reliability, cost, and resale value. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and plan to be until my truck turns into a pile of parts in the driveway, many, many years from now

10. Jun 14, 2018 at 9:56 PM
    Aron9000

Aron9000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    I had always been a Toyota mini-truck sort of guy until I bought my 2011 Tundra a month ago. I picked this up from my dad, he always had a small Toyota pickup growing up that was his daily driver. I gotta give the man some credit, driving those little cheap trucks saved him a bunch of $$$$ over the years and he retired early at age 62.

Anyways, I've been with the 2 vehicle strategy for a good while now, have something nice to drive on long trips and haul people with, kind of split the miles between this and the truck. Had a really beat up 1993 Toyota truck, 2wd/5 speed/reg cab, it had a lot of character. Sold it, inherited my dad's old 2004 Tacoma, 2wd/5 speed/reg cab. Loved that truck, drove it from 170k to 190k in 2 years, it was dead nuts reliable, and it was super damn clean, I was planning to keep it and drive it into the ground.

Well the bad part is I totaled out that 2004 Tacoma about 2 months ago, it was raining hard on the interstate, I had been thinking about new tires for a week or two. Truck came around on me in the rain when I was slowing down, switched lanes while downshifting to pass slower traffic at like 40mph, truck came around on me and went head on into a concrete wall.

My other car, a rather rare 1992 Lexus SC300 5 speed manual, was getting a case of old. It was in fantastic condition still, had 105k miles when I sold it after owning it for 7 years(previous owner garaged it/never drove it). Still though I was kind of tired of it after 7 years, 18mpg on premium fuel sucked considering it wasn't fast and it wasn't very useful(small back seat/trunk). And it was going to need about $3000 worth of work in the next year or so, timing belt service, fix the oil leak, rebuild the supsension that creaks when its cold, fix the rust on the roof from an improperly installed windshield.

Decided to go down to 1 car, mainly a truck. Decided I wanted a 2nd gen Crew Cab Tacoma, V6, automatic, one that rode up high, didn't care about 2wd or 4wd. I drove an extra cab Tacoma, with those rear suicide doors, but didn't like the stupid jump seat back seats or how the suicide doors operated.

Found that 2nd gen Crew cab Tacomas are stupid expensive used. Figured out I could buy a Tundra for the same money. Loved how I could get a Tundra with the normal sized bed option with a really roomy cab with rear doors that opened conventionally(hated those suicide doors on 07-14 GMC/Chevy trucks I looked at)

I'm talking about the double cab, not the crew max. I don't have a family, I'm short, so the double cab with more bed made sense to me. Ended up in a 2011 Tundra, 4.6 V8, Double cab, 4wd, 56k miles(low miles around where I live for a 7 year old truck) for $20,000. Truck was a color I liked, navy blue, clean as hell. More than I wanted to spend, but trucks at that 13-17k range I was looking at were pretty beat with over 100k miles on them.

I think vanity played a bit of a role in choosing the Tundra as well over a Tacoma. Size is king, nothing says success like driving a fucking huge ass truck.

Still though there are a couple of things I miss about that 2004 Tacoma. Mainly it was really easy to park and the low height of the bed, you could reach right over the side of the bed and place something heavy in there, even up against the cab. I now have a grabber pole with my Tundra to get things that slid to the front of the bed.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  11. Jun 15, 2018 at 1:10 AM
    l3LUEFALCON

l3LUEFALCON RIG MECHANIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Houston Area
    Vehicle:
    2014 5.7 FFV MGM CM SR5 4WD TSS-OR AKA: MILDRED
    (DIY) CB Radio, Tool Box, ESP Under seat storage, Husky front/ Weather tech rear floor mats, (DIY) Console Safe (Bio-metric), 275/60/R20 Conti Terrain Contact, Magnaflow Exhaust, Katskin leather seat covers, LRA 46 gallon replacement fuel tank, TRD Pro shocks Front/Rear.
    I got a Tundra because I heard they were good and did some research. AND THEN the guys at the Toyota dealership were the only ones to offer me the $14,000 I wanted for my trade in. 2010 GMC Sierra Texas Edition, that was in immaculate condition.

12. Jun 15, 2018 at 6:17 AM
    don3032

don3032 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Limited Crewmax Nightshade
    debadged, diamondback, window tint, dirty deeds exhaust.
    i went to buy a new dodge diesel but the dealership sucked, stopped by toyota on way home and bought my 2014 tundra, after the air conditioning system went out and fighting with the extended warranty to have over 5000 in repairs upgraded to the 2018 after had them do the repairs to the 2014.

13. Jun 18, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    atrinh15

atrinh15 New Member

Member:
    495-93 area
    Vehicle:
    2018 PLATNIUM White CM
    Ready lift 3/2 Fuel Mavericks 22x9.5 Nitti Terra Grappler G2 - 285/55/22 K/N air filter TRD sway bar SS Fisher plow Mesh grill painted to match Rear bumper painted white
    After 2 Fords and another kid. I needed the crewmax space. With 2 kids in my first Crewmax having a infant seat and being able to sit comfortable was the big thing. Plus I loved the features i got out of the truck.

JoshuaA and HecticEnergy like this.
  14. Jun 18, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    Uncle_Charlie

Uncle_Charlie New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra- Work truck package
    Because...it was time. I've probably told this story here before, but the old truck was getting long in the tooth. It's a 97 Chevy I've been driving since 99. While it does still run and I still drive it a couple times a week, the cost of the repairs it needs exceed what it's worth. Now that it's not my primary vehicle, I can afford to have it inoperable while I repair it.

As to why the Tundra, my biggest concerns are longevity and simplicity. A good analog for what drove me to the Tundra is the direct injection fuel systems found on so many new vehicles. The DI systems introduce a new maintenance step that isn't a consideration for the older tech of the Tundra.

I wanted a truck that just works. I don't want spark plugs that jump out (Ford), or a questionable transmission (Nissan), or silly turbos, or a 4 banger in a full size pickup (soon to come from GM). The lack of technology in the Tundra that is sometimes bemoaned on this forum is exactly what attracted me to it. The design is dated compared to pickups from other makes, and the work truck package is decidedly un-luxurious. But it's a pickup. If I wanted luxury, I'd buy a luxury car.

HecticEnergy likes this.
  15. Jun 18, 2018 at 11:55 AM
    HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tundra SR5
    I definitely had a different truck in mind before I started looking to purchase one... after researching my “dream” vehicle I was surprised by the price tag...

What it finally came down to for me was reliability and price. I’ve learned to appreciate the lower level of “frills” in the truck.

I was looking at the ‘18s last week and am SO glad I got my 2017 before they started slapping TSS (Toyota safety sense) on the trucks.. I plan on holding onto my truck for a long time... especially with Toyota planning a redesign in 2020... I’ll let other customers try out the new trucks for a few years before I jump into the new lineup. Let them work out the bugs for me :)

16. Jun 18, 2018 at 12:11 PM
    vl184009

vl184009 Cheers Boys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicky
    Southern, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM CM SR5 4x4 w/Tow Pkg
    This!
    Have ALWAYS driven a truck, too many trips to home depot for a car.
    IMG_0046.jpg

17. Jun 18, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    cityneck

cityneck New Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRDOR4x4
    Tacoma wasn't big enough... We needed space for wet dogs, mountain bikes and family. A shell on the back makes it a perfect mobile "home".

18. Jun 18, 2018 at 5:18 PM
    T-Town Tundy

T-Town Tundy New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM SR5 4x4 CrewMax
    I had a Tacoma back in ‘08 and sold it before I moved overseas. Always wanted another truck since then. Now that I have kids I’m very happy with my CrewMax! We also do a lot of home improvement projects and furniture building so it helps with Home Depot runs!

Products Discussed in

To Top