1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who here has Rhino Tesla Radio

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by SiberianTundra, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Feb 19, 2020 at 8:53 AM
    SiberianTundra

SiberianTundra [OP] I heard Unicorns get horrible MPG

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    War Machine
    Camper shell, LED lighting VLEDs, Front Camera, Pro Comp wheels. Trd HID LED headlights. ESP storage rear seats.
  2. Feb 19, 2020 at 9:07 AM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i Tech12volts JL Tweeters

Give Phoenix Automotive a call and see if they have any in stock in Cali.
    BTW - my BIL has one installed in his Tundra and loves it, but its a diff model than what you posted.
    https://www.phoenixautomotiveinc.com/

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  3. Feb 19, 2020 at 10:42 AM
    SiberianTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    War Machine
    Camper shell, LED lighting VLEDs, Front Camera, Pro Comp wheels. Trd HID LED headlights. ESP storage rear seats.
    But phoenix does not have the AC knobs version I think or am I wrong ?

4. Feb 19, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    BobaChris

BobaChris New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Grey Tundra TRD Pro
  5. Feb 19, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    SiberianTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    War Machine
  6. May 29, 2020 at 3:43 AM
    Beerghost

Beerghost New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM Tundra TRD CrewMax
    Have you purchased a 12" screen? I'm curious too and am an iPhone user. I noticed they are all Android operating systems but says IOS compatible.
    Have you looked at this 12" screen? I'm not sure of the brand o_O.
    https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Style-Android-Toyota-2014-2018-Bluetooth/dp/B07JFJLCQM
    Rhino - seems like you buy the head unit then have to add on a bunch of key features...

7. May 29, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    SiberianTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    War Machine
    So Far I am sticking with Dasaita. I manually worked out lots of kinks and bugs with the system.

Beerghost[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 29, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    Beerghost

Beerghost New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM Tundra TRD CrewMax
    Thats pretty clean looking too. Probably has better reliability than these 12" Tesla screens are getting. I'm going to look into them. Thanks!

9. Jun 20, 2020 at 12:41 PM
    Alexstundra

Alexstundra Not a new member

Member:
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DC Trd
    3-1 level kit with add a leaf. 295/70/18r cooper max. Spider head light tail light and third brake light, tint, badges off, ladder racks, trd pro grill, color matched hood bulge, grab handle,coach builder +2, dv8 front bumper with winch, fender flares, bed cover....
    Anyone have wireless apple carplay

10. Dec 15, 2020 at 10:45 PM
    sgolemon

sgolemon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaune
    I purchased and installed the Rhino unit in my 2016 Tundra (https://rhinoradios.com/collections...2-1-vertical-screen-android-radio-tesla-style).

The results were mixed.

First off the deck looks amazing, sound quality is fine, and the install was not very difficult. Being able to download apps from the app store is pretty kewl however not all apps are compatible. One example is Life360. Configuration is also a bear and there definitely some downsides to be aware of...

1. I could never get the backup camera to work after the unit is fully booted up. If I put the truck in reverse while the unit was still at the boot up splash screen the camera worked fine. After that, there was no picture. I worked with support but they could not get it working and offered to upgrade me to the PX6 deck.
    2. The factory mic does not work. I understand this is common because the factory mic is powered and has its own amp but the build in mic that comes with the deck it atrocious in comparison. This was a huge turn off for me.
    3. Not all the steering wheel buttons work. The main downer here is the voice command button on my steering wheel is now useless. Even if you install Google Assistant there is no way to say "Call John Smith". If you want to call someone expect to manually scroll through contacts to make a call - not great when driving.
    4. My radio reception signal went into the toilet. Stations I normally listen to in HD quality aren't even picked up when scanning the radio for stations. I can manually tune to them but it is pointless because I mostly hear static.
    5. The environmental controls are a little sluggish and take extra attention to manage - not great when driving.

Winks4x4Toy likes this.
  11. Jun 30, 2021 at 4:24 AM
    odaflo

odaflo New Member

Member:
    Deltona
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra XP FLEX FUEL
    I am pre-ordering the 13" rockchip version with no knobs. I emailed them with pix of my stock setup and they verified that it will be compatible with my truck. the painful part is the $780 that it will cost...but I can recover. Ill post pix and update when I get it done.

I think the worst part of these android radios is the software. it just straight up sux. ive had experience with them before on other cars, the software seems to be all the same platform...with horrible grammer and many glitches. come to find out, its all from China. Im hoping that this "new" version has a better OS than the previous ones did. for those of you who are doing this for the first time dont be intimidated, install is a breeze...all plug and play...all connections are idiot proof. you cant really mess this up. like I mentioned, its the software thats the real problem...and oh yeah...dont expect a stand alone GPS program on it...it comes with Google maps that requires internet connection. you can connect to your phone and use up all you anytime Gigs..your choice...but I rather have a stand alone programs that doesnt use up all my data.

anyone have any suggestions on a good stand alone GPS download??

12. Jul 1, 2021 at 12:54 PM
    DerfM

DerfM Knows nothing about trucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro MBM
    No wireless AA, Runs on an ancient version of Android. Ick.

Products Discussed in

To Top