1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has relocated States?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Gotyour6, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Feb 20, 2020 at 11:43 AM
    Gotyour6

Gotyour6 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Fairport, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Pro
    Were you sent there because of a job or did you search and interview while you were planning to move?

2. Feb 20, 2020 at 11:52 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Why stay out of south Florida? Asking for a friend...

joonbug and Pinay like this.
  3. Feb 20, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Miami / Ft. Lauderdale and surrounding areas in specific because the entire area is overcrowded.

I loved my time living in Miami, but a couple million people moved into the area after Andrew hit.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  4. Feb 20, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    hurricanes man.... hurricanes.

5. Feb 20, 2020 at 3:22 PM
    Wahayes

Wahayes Older I get the wiser I realize my dad was

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    325/60r20 falken at3w, 2.25 dobinsons ,20x9 +20 fuel torque wheels, leer xr100, bmc
    Op- I recently relocated from Texas to utah.what we did was we took a vacation to utah first to make sure we liked it. Then we applied for jobs. We stayed with the same company which made it easier. Alot of larger national companies will do interviews over the phone. That's what we did. I work for a large national bank. Being in IT you may want to look into banks as many of them hire the same way (over the phone) when you dont live inthe area. I've worked for 3 different banks and they all have operated the same in that regard. I would have a job before I moved.

6. Feb 20, 2020 at 3:24 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Jacksonville or St Augustine are more kid and family friendly I think. I live in Tampa due to being prior military. I have been here since 1996 and people here have gotten worse over the years. They are just total a$$holes in general. My wife and her family are from NY but they all live here....which is why I am still here. I just buy bigger caliber guns and deal with it lol. As for jobs, can you find anything on USAjobs to get in on the government or contractor side of the house? I would think IT positions are highly desirable for many companies especially the way Florida is growing as a whole.

Viking and SprinterAE86 like this.
  7. Feb 20, 2020 at 3:25 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Hurricanes are nothing in the Tampa area. It's the southern gulf coast states that are more affected.

SprinterAE86 likes this.
  8. Feb 20, 2020 at 6:06 PM
    Theonlyway

Theonlyway New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    User

Yeah, I would check out Maui and Kauai personally. Even Oahu is much less populated than Florida lol. I am medically retired so work isn’t an issue. Florida is just too flat for my liking. One tsunami and it’s done lol.

LogCabins[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 20, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    LogCabins

LogCabins Professional Procrastinator

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro
    That depends on where in Florida you live....I live in the panhandle and it’s waaaay less populated than Oahu, and yes it is pretty flat and definitely doesn’t have the beauty of the Aina but the big difference with a tsunami I can just go north to get away...on Hawaii you just gotta brace for impact

Theonlyway[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 20, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    Theonlyway

Theonlyway New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    User

Lot of elevation in HI and the panhandle is estimated 1.4 million. The whole island* of Oahu is not even a million.

11. Feb 20, 2020 at 7:11 PM
    LogCabins

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro
    Not trying to argue with you here...I’m assuming you live in Hawaii and I’m definitely not trying to bash it, I love it. But believe me where I live is no where near the chaos of Hawaii not the cost of living....even the “decent” single family homes are stacked onto each other with no yards etc etc.....and yes you can drive up to Mililani when a tsunami hits but after it all settles let me know how that’s gonna work out when no supply’s get in and not to mention the infrastructure on the island is subpar (putting it lightly) but like I said I love Hawaii my best friends are still there and my wife’s family....just was talking earlier about a lot of people have a misconception that it’s affordable and just easy living

ZappBrannigan likes this.
  12. Feb 20, 2020 at 7:23 PM
    careyrob

careyrob In the field

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2008 Crewmax TRD 4x4 Silver
    LRO 3/1 leveling lift 35x12.50's on 20x9's Hellwig rear sway bar B&M 70264 SuperCooler Transmission Cooler Firestone airbags Daystar cradles Air Lift WirelessONE Compressor System
    Just remember that in the Northeast there aren't many dangerous critters to worry about. The further South you go the more things there are that want to bite, sting or eat you.

With the exception of moose everything that's dangerous in the Northeast is also in Florida. Plus they have alligators, crocodiles, large venomous and non-venomous snakes, more kinds of poisonous spiders and more kinds of wasps and hornets, fire ants, redbugs, ticks, etc....

Then you have the hurricanes.

Snow may not sound so bad if you really weigh your environmental options.:thumbsup:

On the plus side your cost of living will be lower and you'll be less impacted by government regulations if you move South or West so long as you stay away from the West Coast and Illinois.

I've lived in 5 different States (Texas, Utah, Massachusetts, North Dakota & Washington) and 3 Canadian Provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick & Newfoundland).

I grew up in Southeast Texas, but I like the Upper Midwest and Mountain West the most despite the snow and cold.

13. Feb 20, 2020 at 7:30 PM
    ZappBrannigan

ZappBrannigan The mind is willing but the flesh is weak

Member:
    Canada, by way of Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 1794 MGM
    NVS light bar
    Oahu isn’t a state. Oahu is a touch under a million as of the 2010 census. The state (all the islands) has 1.42 million, again as of the 2010 census.

semantics I know, and probably just a typo on your part but it’s important, I think in general, for the correct info to be out there. I say this because I had a class recently with a woman from New Jersey who didn’t know that Hawaii was a state.

LogCabins likes this.
  14. Feb 20, 2020 at 7:46 PM
    Theonlyway

Theonlyway New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    User
    it’s obviously a type o but also a response to the above post from mine

15. Feb 20, 2020 at 8:17 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Shit, I just learned something. I had no idea Florida had crocodiles, only alligators.

16. Feb 20, 2020 at 8:26 PM
    Wahayes

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    325/60r20 falken at3w, 2.25 dobinsons ,20x9 +20 fuel torque wheels, leer xr100, bmc
    Lmao. Basically Florida sucks and has a bunch of horrible shit you want none of. Plus it's hot like I walked out to get the mail and now have ass crack swamp ass hot.

17. Feb 20, 2020 at 8:27 PM
    LogCabins

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro
    FACTS

18. Feb 20, 2020 at 8:53 PM
    careyrob

careyrob In the field

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2008 Crewmax TRD 4x4 Silver
    LRO 3/1 leveling lift 35x12.50's on 20x9's Hellwig rear sway bar B&M 70264 SuperCooler Transmission Cooler Firestone airbags Daystar cradles Air Lift WirelessONE Compressor System
    Many, many more alligators than crocodiles. I think the Everglade crocodiles are endangered or threatened, but they do exist and they will eat you if they get a chance so they made the list.

Boerseun and ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Feb 20, 2020 at 9:04 PM
    Wahayes

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    Seriously how is Florida a destination for anyone? I mean it sounds like the Amazon where you are going off to die lol the description of all the critters who can kill you , and dont forget the invasive pythons that thrive there but dont actually belong there (because someone thought hell Florida doesn't have enough snakes let's give them the rabbit humping snake equivalent so we can really blow up that population.) Plus its 9 million degrees. I dont want my environment trying to kill me haha

20. Feb 20, 2020 at 9:08 PM
    KFed

KFed New Member

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crewmax TRD Sport
    Tinted windows, Black badge overlays, ProZ hard bed cover, 32" grille light, 30" lower bumper light,...
    Well, coming up on retirement time as a LEO, my wife and u are looking to get out of NY A.S.AP!!!!! We've been looking around the Knox,TN area. Great people,food,etc... and it's a pension friendly state!! Just gotta come up with a little part time gig to keep the mind sharp... I'm open for ideas... and healthy resume to boot.

Luckydog likes this.
  21. Feb 20, 2020 at 9:36 PM
    Wahayes

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    Criminal justice professor. When I was going to school to be an leo all my cj professors were prior leo. Also all carried their peace officer license with the college as well which I always thought was cool. Plus since they carry your license still you can still moonlight.

22. Feb 20, 2020 at 9:41 PM
    Wahayes

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra limited
    @KFed or you also could look into corporate security investigations. At the bank I work for we have internal investigators that investigate anything from money laundering, to hr claims, to assisting with law enforcement investigations, to sometimes investigating criminal violations on company property to hand over to law enforcement. Paid much better than leo as well. Where I work most of our investigators work remote from home. Actually it's what I'm working towards becoming. Currently I'm a fraud operations manager for my bank.

23. Feb 20, 2020 at 11:10 PM
    johnnyskullface

johnnyskullface New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Limited Crewmax
    I moved from Nashville, TN to Portland, OR this past December . I was able to get a job at the same parent company (different owners), so it was really pretty easy. They were really understanding about the challenges that come with moving across the country. It seems like with all the anti-discrimination laws employers are just fine with hiring someone they never get to meet in person. Just keep putting in those applications and wait for the right fit. Good luck!

24. Feb 21, 2020 at 1:44 AM
    Luckydog

Luckydog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad.
    Ranch Hand Summit front and rear bumpers. Diamondback SE tonneau cover. Rigid DOT fogs. LED headlight/fog replacement bulbs. Matt Gecko hood, and bed LED's. Foot well led's, and interior LED buld replacement. (warm) Broke the front shock of the 3" spacer lift, so replaced with 6112/5160 and 1' block rear. KO 2's. Speaker replacement, added amp and (2) 10's under seat. Weathertech floor mats. Salex organizers. Ziebart undercoating. RCI front, transmission/diff, and gas tank skids received, waiting for spring install. Compustar remote starter. front/rear dash cam.
    I escaped WNY after hs. I hate the winters in NY. It’s depressing. Lived in a bunch of states, but Texas is my favorite. I always thought I would enjoy Florida. Currently on Gulf coast of Texas. I can ride my motorcycle, or go out on the boat at least one day a week in winter. No state income tax is nice. I would not hesitate to move. You have some cash, and being a little scared is one hell of a motivator to find work. There is always opportunities for hard working people. Good luck!!!

Pinay and ColoradoTJ like this.
  25. Feb 21, 2020 at 3:37 AM
    azTony

azTony member since sept, 2017 and over 1,600 messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    Your in IT then talking to a headhunter (old school name) should be able to place you where ever you want to go. When I transplanted from St. Louis, MO (I call it Misery) to Phoenix, AZ I had my Resume out on LinkedIn and with MANY Talent Agents (New name) and got a phone call. The first interview with a company I wanted to move to was an insult and I never replied back to them to accept or deny the offer. I finally got a call from HR and asked what the status was and I told them there was no status, I had no plans of working with a company that did not want to work with me. Explained to them that I was insulted by the "offer" and told them to pay more attention to the Resume with Job History. I received an apology and the conversation ended. Then the Director of Engineering called me and between our many conversations I received 3 more offers over a period of time and finally accepted the offer that included a sign on bonus, money for moving expenses and they put me in temporary housing for 6 months to give me the opportunity to find a place to live with no rush.

You just have to work it, this takes time but pays off in the long run.

26. Feb 21, 2020 at 3:41 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    All true!

I relocated from Indianapolis to Miami in '84 ... it seemed like every critter was out to bite, sting or kill & eat you. And at that time in Miami's history, there were also a lot of Uzi totting people out to kill you if you got in their way. The women were beautiful and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but I have zero desire to ever live down there again.

27. Feb 21, 2020 at 3:53 AM
    T500

T500 # The Dark Side

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfie
    Neptune, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black
    Have relocated countries if that counts

:oldglory:

28. Feb 21, 2020 at 5:01 AM
    Gotyour6

Gotyour6 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Fairport, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Pro
    I will take my chances with all of that and trade it for having 8 months of cold, snow, no sun, shit politics and dumb ass laws.

My wif doesn't want to move and i understand her reasons but if it comes down to it in the next year if she doesnt want to go with me then she can stay here.

I will miss her but I will be damned if I die in this shit hole of a state.

KFed, MakMurph and Luckydog like this.
  29. Feb 21, 2020 at 5:27 AM
    Spakylpm

Spakylpm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra

I can't agree with you more but it is always very hard to figure out where to go! So many plus and minuses in every area.

30. Feb 21, 2020 at 6:54 AM
    CourtJester

CourtJester New Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro, 2015 Tacoma

All of my non-military moves were for work and better jobs. In the past 23 years, we have gone from Ohio, to Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, and now Alabama. Sounds crazy for anyone with a wife and kids to relocate that much, but I’ve gone from running a CNC machine for $12.00 an hour on third shift to managing plants from Georgia to Arizona for a fortune 500 company... So it’s had it’s advantages. And my last move was almost entirely to get away from the snow. I hate winter. I hate people that like winter.

I’ve always used recruiters that found my resume online to find me a better position before I made the move. There’s a boat load of free on online job boards you can create a profile and upload your resume on. Indeed, Glassdoor, Monster, Randstad, etc. LinkedIn is also a great place to have a profile and link up with different recruiters all over the country. Expanding your area to relocate to can really help too. For IT work you’ll have an endless number of options, but Northern and central Alabama has a lot, as does central Georgia, and North Carolina. They all have a lot better weather than New York also. NC can get hit by some decent snow though.

Depending on your career level, a good recruiter can be a HUGE help in working with companies on pay, benefits, and relocation assistance too. My last several moves have been company paid for. They covered me in a hotel for the first month while finding a house or place to rent, paid for a moving company, and DuPont actually helped me sell my house in Iowa when I was relocating to Michigan. They also flew me home every two weeks for three months for free.

Products Discussed in

To Top