1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which lift for 295/70/18 tires?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Theyfzman, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Oct 24, 2016 at 6:05 AM
    Theyfzman

Theyfzman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    Hi all, new to the site and I know I can use the search and did so but my question is kind of specific. Just got my new/used 08 DC and need advice. Here is my plan please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I have access to a really good deal on a set of moto metal 961 with basically brand new 295/70/18 cooper STT pros on them.

Now here is the dilemma: which lift do I need? I don't want to go with a 6" if I can help it. I was leaning towards the procomp 4" with the knuckles and aal with the block also but I'm worried about all this talk about rubbing and the back spacing and such. If anyone can help me I would so appreciate it

The wheels measurements are 18x9 5.71 back space and +18 offset.

And instead of the rear block should I go shackles? I do pull a 5x12 enclosed trailer total weight is around 3500lb.

Thanks much in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
  2. Oct 24, 2016 at 6:27 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Yes on shackles over rear block. You don't need a 4" lift to fit 295/70/18's....people put those on stock TRD Pros. All you should need is a leveled out truck at 2" or so in the front. Pro Comp sucks don't waste your money.

Look at Toytec lifts website and you will find much better options.

rons23, csuviper and zcarpenter92 like this.
  3. Oct 24, 2016 at 6:53 AM
    Theyfzman

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    Thanks Mike there's so much information out there it's mind bending lol
    I own a auto body repair business and am pretty familiar with working on cars but damn...... just a level kit, no go with a bigger kit with aca's without aca's , no the whole kit. Ahhhhhhhh
    Do you think I should go with a set of upper ca's or not. I want it to be able to get aligned up and be durable
    Thank again

4. Oct 24, 2016 at 6:55 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    There isn't really a need for aftermarket UCA's unless you go higher than a 2.5" lift.

Since your truck is a 2nd gen, I'm not 100% positive that all you need is a level kit, but that's how it is on the 3rd gen Tundras.

You definitely don't need a 4-6" lift though, that would be overkill.

Hopefully some more of the 2nd gen guys will chime in and verify that you can run that setup with just a leveling kit.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/official-tundra-wheel-and-tire-setups-pics-and-info.95/

Here is a good thread that may help you. It appears that the 2nd gens are indeed the same as 3rd gens in regard to which wheels will fit without modifications. A 295/70/18 is skinny enough to where you shouldn't have to do any additional mods besides a leveling kit. Where you would run into a problem is with wider tires like a 35x12.50.

No prob man, welcome to the site!

5. Oct 24, 2016 at 8:11 AM
    Theyfzman

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    Anybody have any dealings with tough country lifts ?

6. Oct 24, 2016 at 8:20 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    I'd go with toytec coilovers. I have a 3/1 and stock UCA. If you go over 3" or go heavy off-road, you'd need an UCA.

Welcome to the site!

csuviper and ToyotaTundraMike like this.
  7. Oct 24, 2016 at 8:21 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    If you want more than a leveled out look go with some decent coilovers and do a 3/1 lift.

If you just want level then Bilstein 5100's are the safest and most cost effective option.

Do yourself a favor and avoid spacer lifts!

Law323 likes this.
  8. Oct 24, 2016 at 8:39 AM
    Theyfzman

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    Guy at toytec recommended the ultimate lift they have with the ucas and shackles
    Quoted just a bit over $1700 sound about right

9. Oct 24, 2016 at 8:43 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    With UCA's, yeah that sounds right. You could also go with the Toytec Boss setup for about the same price, looks like its only $40 more on their site.

10. Oct 24, 2016 at 8:49 AM
    Theyfzman

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    He said the bilstens would give a better ride looks like it's basically the same kit

11. Oct 24, 2016 at 8:53 AM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    In addition to the above great info, some other points that may not be obvious. If you go with 3" or higher in the front and you have 4WD, don't forget the front diff drop. If you go with 1" or higher in the back, don't forget the carrier bearing drop. As others have said shackles are better than blocks in the rear. Spacers on the front limit your shock travel. Better to go with coil-overs, or even Bilstein 5100s. With a 3" lift, your UCAs will be right on the limit of their adjustment range, Anything taller and you will likely need after market UCA's. Let your alignment specs drive that decision.

Products Discussed in

To Top