1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where to install an air compressor on a 2nd Gen Crewmax?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Tuthmose, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Aug 12, 2019 at 3:07 AM
    Tuthmose

Tuthmose [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Rock Warrior Crewmax 5.7L 4x4
    After finding a good quote to install lockers, I’m moving forward on installing the compressor in my 2011 CrewMax prior to dropping it off. This has created a new challenge – namely, where to put the thing?

The “go-to” for 3rd Gens, Bannock 452’s awesome mount, won’t work. Not only is the 2nd Gen airbox too big to allow room, but I’ve got an even-large AFE Magnum in its place that I don’t want to lose. It looks like XFAKTR’s vertical mount, which also seemed really nice, is not to be had. He seems to have simply vanished from the web and the forums. All the slick under-hood mounts seem to be 3rd Gen only or discontinued.

I really don’t want that heat and noise generator in my cab, and I live in the snow/rust belt, so I’d rather not bolt it up under the frame rails.

Sooo . . .what to do? Is there some other mount for the engine compartment? Do I fall back and do a bed mount? If so, does somebody make a protective enclosure or box, so shifting cargo doesn’t accidentally take out my $600 setup? Is there some other slick option I'm overlooking?

Folks that run ARB CKMTA12 Twins, Extremeaire Magnums, or similar size pumps – especially for lockers – where did you put them in your 2nd Gen? Any pointers and experience from those who have been there before me is much appreciated!

-Ron

2. Aug 12, 2019 at 6:21 AM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    @Victory4x4 makes an under-hood mount for the twin compressor. It's shown next to what looks like a Volant CAI so I would think it would work fine with your AFE. Not sure, but I think they offer us a forum discount.

Beesta and Tuthmose[OP] like this.
  3. Aug 12, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    Tuthmose

Tuthmose [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black Rock Warrior Crewmax 5.7L 4x4
    Thank you. Sadly, though, I'm pretty sure that that won't work either. Victory4x4's appears to be a more-or-less direct copy of Bannock452's. The shape of that Volant is different than the "boxy" AFE Magnum; looking at that image, I just don't have room they show there. My CAI extends rearward to within a 1/2" or so of that small black box. While I've still got the vertical room above that box, I cannot extend forward of it really at all.

-Ron

4. Aug 6, 2020 at 2:05 PM
    Torogi

Torogi New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reece
    Vehicle:
    2011 Crewmax Rock Warrior
    Hey OP, what did you end up doing?

I am on the same boat. Purchased a generic mount off eBay, and when I did a mock up fit with an ARB twin, there is no way I can put back the Air box lid. It looks like any other alternative (cold air intake) are not CARB certified.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top