1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When to buy a 2018 Tundra - best time of the year ?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by 4sallypat, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Aug 10, 2018 at 6:49 AM
    4sallypat

4sallypat [OP] New Member

Member:
    So now that I can not get an FFV Tundra, thanks to this forum which has shed more light on California's wonky emissions ....

It's been a long time since I had Toyotas ( 1982-2004 ) including my last Toyota Tundra in 2001.....

Shopping in Southern California for a 5.7L SR5 Tundra - with Sport, Convenience and Upgrade w/ Nav packages.

Based on past years of Toyota's sales patterns, when is the best time to pick up a Tundra at a great price?

I know last month in July, there was a big push to sell the Tundra with $2,000 TFS rebate and dealers were offering 10% off MSRP without any negotiations....

Having the luxury of time on my side, I can sell my current car at anytime with some positive equity..

When do you think the best time to get a 2018 Tundra knowing that the 2019 has started to show up already???

Does Toyota do the same specials like it's counterpart: Lexus with their " Holiday season to remember event "???

2. Aug 10, 2018 at 8:58 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road, Crewmax, 5.7L Non-FFV
    None
    The best time is when you want a new vehicle, not when you need one. I’d start doing my homework now and feeling out local dealers on current pricing for the truck you want. If possible, try and wait until the end of September....end of 3rd qrt. Dealerships will trying to boost sales for the end of the qrt and could be more pressed to let a truck slip away for a deal they wouldn’t do otherwise. Or, if you really wanna wait, wait until the end of 4th qrt as dealerships will be looking to close the year as close as possible to their annual goals or looking to pad their numbers even more.

3. Aug 10, 2018 at 9:07 AM
    TacoWuzzaTurd

TacoWuzzaTurd Loving my Tundra

Member:
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 4x4 Crewmax, TRD Offroad
    6112s @1.9", TRD Dual Exhaust, rims, tires, jl audio system
    Right now is probably as good a time as any. Tundra is selling slow right now. Slower than usual. 2019s are already hitting lots on the east coast one guy said in another thread. They're dealing below invoice on them if you know how to grind the dealer a bit. If CA is too pricey I recommend go to a cheaper neighboring state and purchase then drive it to CA.

4. Aug 10, 2018 at 9:41 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    None

To Taco’s point further, don’t be afraid to grab quotes from dealers in AZ, or Las Vegas area. Take their prices and tell your local dealership you’re willing to drive if they don’t match or come close, however you want to figure what your time and gas is worth.

I bought my truck from Thompson Toyota in Placerville. I did my homework for a few months felt they were the best price, and it was all done through email. I’d definitely recommend reaching out to one of their internet sales managers for a quote.

4sallypat[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 10, 2018 at 10:04 AM
    saybng

saybng Just a member.

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Ventura CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra 1794 CM in BLACK!
    Method Nv's, falken wildpeak 275.65.20 Dirty deeds exhaust, 5100's all around...nothin fancy.
    I was told Toyota of Longo has the best prices..which trim are interested in?

6. Aug 10, 2018 at 10:15 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Why would you want the FFV version anyway?

7. Aug 10, 2018 at 10:19 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    Several factors come into play.
    Usually in September the next year model starts to come in, so that's when they start to want to get rid of the 2018's. As it get closer to the end of the year, the deals will get better as they will be more eager to get rid of old inventory. The flip side of that is that your choices will be limited. If you look for a Sport and then only had 2 on the lot to begin with; once they are out, they are out. Or you are stuck with the left-over color that might not be your first choice. So waiting for a better deal is a gamble against availability.
    The other thing is the dealer's internal sales goals. End of month is usually better for a deal, because they might realize that they are only a few deals away from a certain target, so they might be willing to "lose" a little on a deal just to make the target. Then the end of the quarter is usually even bigger than just month end (which will be end of September, and then again December)
    Based on that, if you are ready to make the purchase, I would say end of September is optimal - Dealer is eager to make sales to meet targets, Dealer wants to get rid of 2018's, There is still enough inventory to pick what you want.

4sallypat[OP] and big_jarv like this.
  8. Aug 10, 2018 at 10:20 AM
    big_jarv

big_jarv New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    I’ve heard good things about Longo too. They are #1 Toyota dealership in the world, so they have a good selection.

9. Aug 10, 2018 at 10:28 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona TRD Limited CrewMax
    3/1.5 Toytec/Icon AAL, 17" Rebounds, 317-70-70 ST Maxx's
    Sales across the board are slowing down over the last 6-10 months, the longer this continues the more desperate dealers will get to hit numbers. As stated, end of Q3 and Q4 are usually when they will deal.

Friend of mine usually goes in this time of year and gives a ridiculously low number that he wants to pay for a rig, they get insulted and tell him to pound sand. Around Sept 28th he'll get a call saying they will sell at his offer only if he can come in right away and do the deal. Something to think about.

4sallypat[OP] likes this.
  10. Aug 10, 2018 at 10:56 AM
    TacoWuzzaTurd

TacoWuzzaTurd Loving my Tundra

Member:
    Scottsdale AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 4x4 Crewmax, TRD Offroad
    6112s @1.9", TRD Dual Exhaust, rims, tires, jl audio system
    There are tundras sitting on lots in my area with invoice dates dating back to November 2017. Lot rot.

11. Aug 10, 2018 at 11:11 AM
    4sallypat

4sallypat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Everyone on this forum is amazing and helpful! Most message forums are very snide and sarcastic.... This site seems to be more tolerant of newbies...

Thanks @Boerseun I thought this was the case with Toyota.
    I have been out of the Toyota market about 15 years.

I have been into the luxury crossovers and now that I'm getting to retirement, thinking of a truck to tow a boat and possibly get a truck camper.

Longo Toyota is local and they have the volume. I have purchased 2 Tundras (1st Gen) from Longo but their prices recently have not been very good. I have been getting better offers (10% off MSRP) without even negotiating.

Willing to drive the distance but afraid of out of state registration issues as I have never purchased outside CA.

Boerseun[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 10, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    None

Something to consider, it doesn’t cost you anything to get a quote from an out of area or state dealer to see if someone will match it locally. It’ll only cost you your time to email:).

13. Aug 10, 2018 at 11:39 AM
    Jengel451

Jengel451 Misanthropist

Member:
    The Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona TRD Limited CrewMax
    3/1.5 Toytec/Icon AAL, 17" Rebounds, 317-70-70 ST Maxx's
    So true. When I bought my last cummins the local dealerships wouldnt wiggle much on a megacab, Dave Smith in Kellog Idaho quoted over 12k lower than anyone else. No brainer to make a quick flight and road trip it back. I would do that for less than 2k delta as well, always looking for a road trip excuse.

Products Discussed in

To Top