1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's needed to make this JBL Premium head unit acceptable?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by pipeliner, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Dec 4, 2015 at 9:34 AM
    pipeliner

pipeliner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 1794 Edition, Attitude Black Metallic
    No mods yet. Need to get the bugs worked out first.
    What can I do for my head unit without breaking the bank? If I could get the same sound quality as I had from the JBL in my '11 CM Limited, I'd be happy. I want to keep the head unit because it's needed to control some of the other settings in the truck, but the sound is sheer torture on my ears. It doesn't matter what the audio source is. I've noticed that some songs play at a volume level I can barely hear even when it's turned all the way up. Other times, I can't get the volume level past halfway before the bass gets distorted and my door panels start rattling like a hooptie wagon. I can't tell if it's because I have audio files are mp3, mp4, and AAC format. Has anyone else had this problem?

All I know is I'm listening to the same songs that I used to play in the last truck and the JBL system in that truck had sound quality that was so much better. This music is played from the same iPod and the same Android phone that I've always had.

2. Dec 6, 2015 at 10:12 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    JL Audio Fix 82. I'm no audio expert but I have some JL stuff and I think it is quality, though pricey.

A cheaper alternative would be something like an Audio Control LC7i.

Either of those combined with some new speakers and the proper amp, you should be set.

Like I said, I'm no expert, and I have never installed or used either product, just researched. Hopefully someone else here will chime in, or check your local sound shop for their recommendations.

pipeliner[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 8, 2015 at 7:41 AM
    pipeliner

pipeliner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 1794 Edition, Attitude Black Metallic
    No mods yet. Need to get the bugs worked out first.

Hey thanks man! Looking into that now.

4. Dec 8, 2015 at 3:59 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Sure thing. If you end up upgrading your sound system, please update us to let us know what you went with and how you like it. Good luck.

5. Dec 8, 2015 at 5:12 PM
    j2x

j2x New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Slidell, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 TSS Tundra
    Stock
    What is a good replacement radio for the stock radio. I wanted to upgrade with XM feature, but want it to fit into the existing space on a 2012 Tundra

6. Dec 9, 2015 at 3:19 PM
    pvmike

pvmike Home Depot flexing

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2014 Platinum Super White
    TRD Pro suspension, supercharger, 5.29 gears, Auburn LSD

Products Discussed in

To Top