1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What you do for a living (work, job)?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TXRailRoadBandit73, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Jul 7, 2017 at 7:44 PM
    Darth Tundra

Darth Tundra I AM....YOUR FATHER

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicle:
    17 CM TRD Black
    Revtek 2.5 level kit, 295/70/18 on stock rims..no rear mods
    Profile pic change !!!??

2. Jul 7, 2017 at 7:45 PM
    Darth Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicle:
    17 CM TRD Black
    Thats a lot of RUBBER !!!

3. Jul 7, 2017 at 8:06 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    I bet...i've met you and i deduced that you're a strong person to have in any circle, even if it's a bunch of 50 year old kids.

I can tell you this, and i'm not tooting my own horn....i do a hell of a job and it's noticed. It takes a certain kind of personality to deal with unionized groups and still have the upper hand. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but having been a part of an enormous amount of diversity i can relate to any one of them, piss them off one day and then be best friends the next. When the water all boils out i'm still a nice and tasty buttery substance that they're left with.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 7, 2017 at 8:07 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    go to the "green room" and find the graveyarders thread. You'll be quite entertained at the avatars that have been jacked with!

Black Wolf and T-Rex266 like this.
  5. Jul 7, 2017 at 8:12 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I'm not anti union by the way. It just seems the longer "some" of these guys work the more entitled they think they are to do almost nothing. Hell , I've been doing this for over 37 years working harder than ever in a 40 hr week and still teaching the young guys. It doesn't take long to figure someone out. Emm....butter. Although I'm more like bacon.

(Got snot by the way??) heh heh

Eclipsed & Floating and PMG like this.
  6. Jul 7, 2017 at 8:15 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I worked graveyard for 18 months in a plywood mill ages ago. Totally different world. No one was normal after awhile. Not necessarily a bad thing...:laser:

7. Jul 7, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    I'm not anti union either. I'm not part of one, but my techs are. From their experience so far (it's been a year now) they would rather me represent them than their local chapter. IBEW is not for cable workers but they somehow got the contract. I'm pretty sure they have no idea what our business is about. I really like most of my techs, and i even like the IBEW higher ups. I've a great rapport due to my ability to see all sides and the relationship i have with the shop stewards. Our relationships have not suffered one bit, and i definitely like the perks they've received in return for joining the union. It makes my job a little more rigid, but i can handle it. It's actually working out very well for all parties in the area i manage, which is a fairly large portion of CO. Working for AT&T has been an enormous change from DIRECTV but one that has posed more of a challenge to my capabilities rather than my soul. I kinda like the ever changing duties rather than the monotony of olden ways.

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jul 7, 2017 at 8:41 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    When I started running projects 35 years ago one manager told me that the key to success was to be able to tell someone that they are a no good worthless SOB and have em walk off thinking you're a really great guy!

9. Jul 7, 2017 at 9:03 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    I can call a guy to tell him that he's being written up for breaching Code of Business Conduct and we end the conversation laughing. I've been told that i'm too lite of a manager, though my sites perform in the top 3 every month out of 25 in my region. I'm 43 and have been managing different organizations since college and i can tell you....corporate management is a totally different ball game.

Black Wolf and gosolo[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Jul 7, 2017 at 9:07 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    I'm pretty pro union. Working my way up through the ranks from apprentice to journeyman, Forman, GF, superintendent, and management doing contracts and bidding while learning how to build CPM schedules and presentations for JOC and design build work.
    I've stayed with contractors that allowed me to decline the company package and keep my union fringe. Work has ranged from water treatment and ground up architecture to heavy civil with both dry and wet utilities. Have 2 national awards for historical restorations, AZ State capitol and a courthouse. I'm looking forward to being retired in 6 months, having built every house I've lived in (except for the first one I bought at 19 in Tucson), I'm tired of this crap. Will be looking for a manufactured home on acres with a huge metal building for building furniture and my blacksmith shop.

11. Jul 7, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!! You've had a great career and been able to craft it how you wanted it. I'm not near there, but have been in multiple industries; foreman for a small time homebuilder in Charleston, SC, respiratory therapy, restaurant management, taught different types of outdoor skills (rock climbing, rafting, kayaking, etc), many other menial positions, and now management in telecom. This is the most rigid of all industries i've been in, and rightfully so i would assume. It's a fast paced industry and i'm not in the union due to being in management. The IBEW was just awarded the contract mid 2016 and so it's very new to many, including myself. It would seem that HR is more intimidated by the process of dealing with the union than the actual actions of the union. I appreciate what they've done for my guys though it ties my hands a little more, which is absolutely fine with me. I've never really had an issue with my employees anyway.

I'm appreciative of what you shared in your last post. I love hearing that a long line of hard work eventually pays off, and the mention of the work is not via complaint. :thumbsup:
    I'm proud of you for guiding a career in the direction you've been able to appreciate. I'm not in AZ very often but really would like to see some of your work. I'll reach out next time i head that way!

12. Jul 7, 2017 at 9:30 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    What kind of facility is it you manage?

13. Jul 7, 2017 at 9:34 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    @Almaboy our posts crossed in the zone. I'm sure we Will enjoy tipping a beer or sharing a good scotch! I'm located about midway between flagstaff and Phoenix.
    Do you get this way often?

14. Jul 7, 2017 at 9:40 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    AT&T purchased DIRECTV at the beginning of 2016. At that time i had 3 peers and we managed about 50 technicians installing and servicing DTV covering 57,000 sq miles in the northwest portion of CO (Vail, Aspen, Telluride, Steamboat Springs, Breckenridge, Grand Junction, Durango, and many other small towns that fit into that northwest corner). Basically, the cutoff line is about 50 miles west of Denver all the way to Utah, into Wyoming, and reaching to about 80 miles from NM.

NOW, it's me and one other field manager (managing more techs) that has to cover that entire region by ourselves, QAs, on site visits, scheduling, routing, and MANY other duties that AT&T has thrown at us. The pro is that the clout that i'm gaining from covering those areas, the people that i'm in contact with, and doing 50% of my peer's job has placed me in a very valuable position. The day to day humdrum is a means to make it where i need to go, wherever that may be down the line. The everyday duties are drowning me, but to fire off that i manage the people in those high end customers' homes, and areas for a Fortune 5 company will hopefully put me in a position down the road that will seem more valuable than i really am ;)

gosolo[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jul 7, 2017 at 9:42 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Not unless i have a reason to. I would like to visit. Maybe travel that way when it's a little cooler? I love Flagstaff and Sedona. Never been to Phoenix

16. Jul 7, 2017 at 9:49 PM
    Darth Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicle:
    17 CM TRD Black
    Lol......JACKED is putting it lightly !!

17. Jul 7, 2017 at 9:57 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    A sad thing is that last summer I was managing a job in Colorado upgrading traffic signals and re striping the state hi way from Cortez, bayfield, Alamosa, pagosa, Mancos, and some other municipal areas. I ended up with several weekends alone and nothing to do. One weekend I went and checked out zapata falls. Although I was on the forum, I was a lot less engaged.IMG_0009.jpg

18. Jul 7, 2017 at 9:57 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    Comedy at it's finest!!

Darth Tundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jul 7, 2017 at 9:59 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    That's beautiful!! I need to get down that way more often. CO is an incredible state. I moved here 5 years ago from Hilton Head Island, SC. I'm originally from the southeast

20. Jul 8, 2017 at 3:06 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Zapata Falls is nice. Not far from my property in Ft. Garland. I've hiked up there with my dog a few times.

21. Jul 9, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    xj2202009

xj2202009 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    x
    Lutz, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra sr double cab v8 5.7L black 4x2
    looking to replace factory Radio with a pioneer avix588bhs
    Data quality Analyst for one of the top carbonated beverage companies. Love what I do..love working from home three days a wk..my boss is a mechanical engineer and a 3rd degree lean six sigma black belt..best boss ever

22. Jul 9, 2017 at 8:22 PM
    Areith762

Areith762 Go Avs!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    .- -. - .... --- -.
    39.944182, -104.760113
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue 5.7L CM SR5 4X4
    DAP Tune, Katskin interior leather, ESP rear under seat storage, door sill protector, door edge protector, TRD Pro shift knob, heated seats, all weather Tundra floor mats, driver side a-frame handle, Tundra trucks center console emblem, clear bra protection, Bushwacker fender flares, paint match front bumper caps, paint match rear bumper caps, paint match mirror caps, ProComp 3/1 lift, 20" Fuel wheels, 33-11.50/R20 Falcon tires, black TRD Pro badge's, black Tundra tailgate badge insert, TRD Pro headlights, Recon smoked tail lights, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Roll N Lock tonneau cover, Line-X bed liner, Tundra bed mat, Cobra led remote alarm/remote start, N-fab tube steps, factory match window tint, TRD Pro grille -paint matched, paint matched hood bulge, TRD dual exhaust, Black out exhaust tips, led interior lights, led plate lights, Spyder smoked fog lights, TRD Cold Air Intake
    Cable guy.

23. Jul 10, 2017 at 8:21 AM
    TundraTex

TundraTex FRAC On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    '16 TSS CM 4x4
    By day I'm an Engineering Director designing and developing various electronic systems to protect those who protect us.

On weekends and evenings I fit in all the fun stuff; airplane, motorcycle, Jiu Jitsu, and most recently - developing the FRAC harness for the betterment of Tundras all across the land!

AxelsHumanDad, JC303 and T-Rex266 like this.
  24. Jul 22, 2017 at 2:25 PM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    I'm a custom builder. I've built new homes, barns, remodels, additions, pool pavilions, commercial projects and more. Here is a pool project I just finished this week. I've also got a 3,000 sq ft addition project that I'm almost done with. IMG_7557.jpgIMG_7570.jpg IMG_8649.jpgIMG_8652.jpg IMG_8653.jpg
    Addition project before any work. Home was built in 1938. All the original tile roof was removed from the home. All of the concrete addition and framing was engineered.
    IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_8075.jpg
    IMG_8667.jpg

25. Jul 22, 2017 at 3:04 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I so wish you lived here. Just from the quality of craftsmanship I have seen in past/present pictures, I would be sweet talking and whispering sweet nothings in your ear to build me my next home. It is such a PITFA to get a home builder around here. Sad thing, one of my best friends is a custom home builder, but I learned a long time ago not to use family and close friends with business.

What is the cost per square foot in SA for homes right now, let's say 4000 sq ft?

26. Jul 22, 2017 at 3:28 PM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    Thank you for the compliments. To have a home built around SA area can range greatly pending your home specifications. Examples: lot or land, exterior and interior finishes. But for just a general idea $150-$250 per square ft. You will find track homes for less per sq ft.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Jul 22, 2017 at 3:49 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    The comments are well deserved. That sounds about the same around here in Colorado.

28. Jul 22, 2017 at 5:04 PM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    I'll be in Telluride, CO again December-January. My wife and I have discussed moving to CO. So who knows maybe I'll start building there.

29. Jul 22, 2017 at 7:36 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Oh, how unfortunate for SA....lol!!

1UPPER[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Jul 22, 2017 at 7:42 PM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    I'm going to start up a new division of building just barns. I'm going to make a platform for my designs and process and have a proven platform to go nation wide with. Colorado definitely has a lot of horse owners looking for a well built barn. So long term I plan on either moving to CO or having a second home in CO.

JC303 and ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top