1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what "source" for your mobile music? Mobile music server idea

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by johnbiccum, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Mar 11, 2016 at 6:26 PM
    johnbiccum

johnbiccum [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    "Hi-Lo Silver" a 2007 Tundra Double Cab with the 3URFE
    Just picked up a gen2 SR5, the stock head unit is a multi-CD but no Bluetooth and that means no cell phone integration so the head unit has to go. Don't have the

I'm researching replacement head units now and found that Crutchfields has excellent information as to what speakers, amps and head units fit in what vehicles etc.

But my question for you all is what are you doing to get music into your truck? Still using CDs? Or maybe MP3s streamed over Bluetooth from your phone? MP3s from USB sticks or SD cards? High resolution FLAC or ALAC files from an iPod or similar jacked into the head unit with a 3.5mm plug? What else?

I'm working on a music server for my truck which will hold my ENTIRE music collection (~250GB or so at the moment). The server would serve up WiFi (but no internet connectivity) to my cell phone which would act as the remote control. Music played on the phone streamed from the server over WiFi would reach the head unit with Bluetooth streaming (for convenience) or 3.5mm plug from the server (for better audio quality when using high-resolution files).

Server is silent, fan-less, headless (no monitor or keyboard once configured and installed) with no moving parts (no spinning hard drives), power is 12v from your truck. My prototype is using an ARM v7 quad-core processor so its plenty powerful enough to stream HD video to a tablet or phone or two as well as the higher bit rate loss-less audio files. Its a bit larger than a box of Marlborough cigarettes so it will find a home somewhere out of sight Just the trick to keep kids from killing each other on that long road trip...

I'll document this as it goes along with the idea that the geekier of us on the site would be able to take my bill of materials and instructions , goshopping and be able to duplicate the server. For those less computer conversant ready-to-run servers would probably come in under $200.

Any interest?

To Top