1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What should I look for when buying a used Tundra

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by rch701, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Sep 6, 2015 at 4:43 PM
    rch701

rch701 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Hey guys, I am looking to become a Toyota owner soon and I was curious if there are things I should be watching out for. I was big into mid-90s BMWs and one needed to know a handful of things to make an educated/smart purchase. I am looking at a 2005 Tundra double cab V8 SR5 tomorrow with 110k miles. I have read something about rear subframes rusting out and a new thing about takata airbags. Anything else? Thanks.

2. Sep 6, 2015 at 5:02 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
  3. Sep 6, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Avon calling...

1st gens are not that hard. 2003 here.

Frame make sure its not rusted out. ( I have heard or toyota replacement of frames)

4.7 ( 2uz-fe) is a interference engine. Make sure its replaced (belt) on time. If it was make sure the water pump was changed with it. If not subtract timing and water change say about 1000 bucks.

2005 has vvti. The air injection system most are under a tsb for warranty. Parts have been noted to be mixed on how fast you get them. Week to month.

Beyond that not much else. Drive train including brakes and body rare to have problems. Electronics rare I have heard anything go wrong.

As for the takata air bags just take it in and they will repair it 2 hour job free of charge of course. Mine was done.

Add: get a carfax for accidents anything like that..

Black Wolf likes this.
  4. Sep 7, 2015 at 4:43 AM
    rch701

rch701 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Thanks Mike, That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for the fast response. BMWs have a longer list lol.
    1. The frame rust should be obvious.
    2. I found a DIY on the timing belt and parts will cost upwards of $600 (if I change all wear parts)
    3. "the warranty on air induction pump assemblies and air injection switching valves for the condition described to 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first." But this is only on the 2nd gen Tundras 2007-10. Not to mention my future car has just passed 10 years. I will get the bypass module if the pump is out. I am very curious on how involved fixing the secondary pump system is. Judging from the $3-4k dealer price I suppose it is just shy of removing the engine.
    4. I will get the VIN
    5. Ditto

5. Sep 7, 2015 at 4:47 AM
    rch701

rch701 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    I just found a kit on rockauto from $150-$200.

6. Sep 7, 2015 at 4:57 AM
    rch701

rch701 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    I was just reading up on transmission fluid changing also. I am an advocate for drain and fill to up the detergents in the tranny. I did this on my G35, but only 4qts twice with a 1000 miles between draining. I read that tundras A. requires a 100k mile interval and B.are sealed. I dont know how I would ever get the 4 quarts back in lol. Maybe leave it to a tranny shop for the drain and fill. Thoughts?

7. Sep 7, 2015 at 6:38 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    When it comes to the transmission, I would let the dealer do it and not mess with it. That's just me though.

8. Sep 7, 2015 at 7:12 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Transmission is easy compared to 2nd gen tundras. Hour job about it. be thankful it has a dipstick... 2nd gen transmission went sealed no dipstick

As for the air injection going out the bypass kit is about 150 I beleive and you dont touch the engine to bypass it. It all done in the maf sensor if my memory is correct. My 03 doesnt have that bs on it thank god. Its a 4 wire set up thats it.

9. Dec 25, 2015 at 5:10 AM
    mingo

mingo New Member

Member:
    Rather than start a new thread about the same topic, please allow me to add to this one:

I'm looking at an 04 Tundra Access cab, 4.7 V8, 4x4, 117K miles vs. 05 Tundra quad cab 4.7 V8, 4x4, 102K miles.

I'm in Canada, so prices up here are always higher, but to give you an idea of what we pay: 04 Access cab, asking US$8600, 05 Quad cab, asking $10700. I will negotiate a lower price. I'm just wondering which is the better buy. Both will fit in my garage, the quad cab with an couple of inches to spare.

I will need to find out if the timing belt has been replaced or factor in the cost of doing it.

Which would you recommend and why? If I were to go for the 05, where would I buy the kit to remove the air injection system?

I want to use this truck for long distance travel with my motorcycle in the bed and reliability is my top priority in seeking a first gen Tundra that fits my budget. Tacoma would be more suitable for my needs, but the price of 10 year old models are ridiculous.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top