1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What price are you getting for ur 2018? esp Limited and sr5 models?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by krazyTundra, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Jan 6, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    VTsuckah

VTsuckah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM 4x4
    Yeah, you are to an extent as some dealerships receive better prices/incentives from corporate. I looked at Edmunds.com for invoice cost of my truck to get an idea of where I wanted to be. The dealership salesman showed me what they paid for my truck and it was still well under edmunds' estimate. They still had close to about 2k profit. Some dealerships stated that they couldn't come close to the numbers I received from a handfull of dealerships and it's too good to be true.

2. Jan 6, 2018 at 9:19 AM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    Is that 4wd also sir?

3. Jan 6, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    hogpiolet

hogpiolet New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmie
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra Platnium
    none
    I got a 2018 Platinum for 47200 before options it had moonroof

4. Jan 6, 2018 at 9:31 AM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Dealers have volume bonuses as well. Once they sell a certain number of vehicles, every vehicle they sell after that gives them a flat bonus, so they can afford to sell it at a "loss" (not really) on paper, but they make up for it with their volume bonus.

5. Jan 6, 2018 at 9:55 AM
    SuaveRC

SuaveRC New Member

Member:
    2WD

6. Jan 6, 2018 at 6:21 PM
    BamaGuyinTX

BamaGuyinTX New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra SR5
    Bought a 5.7FFV CM 4WD SR5 w/ Upgrade, Etune with MSRP $42,610. Then TSS accessories and spray on bedliner had sticker of $47,773. Sold for $38,658 +TTL. Also trade of $31k for a 16 Tundra 2WD version of same truck with 24k miles.

SuaveRC likes this.
  7. Jan 7, 2018 at 5:34 PM
    Beast037

Beast037 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leeoohhh!!!
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM 4x4 5.7 black/black
    They never lose, I forgot to mention they took off my hands a trade, which was a '15 tundra, 4x2, sr5....

What's going to happen is, they paid 22.5k for my vehicle and sell it around 27k + 4.9/6.9apr financing. They will wined up with close to ten grand just from that.

Those mouth breathers don't lose, and studying the numbers a little more, I believe I could've knocked off some more from the final price.

DONT GIVE IN, they all want your business and try to beat them as far down as possible!

FYI, I got this deal at Courtesy Toyota of Brandenton. If anyone is going to purchase there, please let me know and I will put you in touch with my sales episode, I also make $100 per referral!

I'd be happy to show any final paper work to help you get your deal! I know I got an amazing price.

BuckWallace likes this.
  8. Jan 7, 2018 at 5:44 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Exactly. Most people getting "killer" deals on their new trucks are losing on the trade-in by not selling it themselves. Dealers will give you a better deal on the purchase if you give them something to turn around and sell for $5k-$10k profit...

It's worth it to some people to trade and not have to deal with selling on Craigslist or whatever (I don't blame them), but I've never traded.

jp_over likes this.
  9. Jan 7, 2018 at 6:10 PM
    Cinco

Cinco New Member

Member:
    Getting rid of your old car at the dealer vs trying to sell it on Craigslist and deal with all the now shows/low ballers/tire kickers etc it sometimes makes sense to just trade in.

Tony v, jp_over, CringyDad and 2 others like this.
  10. Jan 7, 2018 at 6:15 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    For some people it's definitely worth it to just trade it in vs dealing with what you mentioned. I had the dealer give me a quote on my Titan when I purchased my Tundra and they were nowhere near what I got selling it on my own. Maybe someday my time will be worth more than the hassle...

11. Jan 7, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    VTsuckah

VTsuckah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM 4x4
    Depending on the state you live in, you also will only pay sales tax on the difference between the sale price of the new vehicle and trade in. So that $2-4k extra you may get for private party sale may be negated by sales tax savings. SomethING to also think about.

12. Jan 7, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    BamaGuyinTX

BamaGuyinTX New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tundra SR5
    Speaking of trades...one option is to take it to a place like Carmax and let them make you an offer on your trade before you go into the dealer. Any dealer will match that offer, and some may beat it.

13. Jan 7, 2018 at 7:24 PM
    BuckWallace

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Ah, I didn't think of that. No sales tax here in OR, so I guess it makes more of a difference here.

14. Jan 9, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    Tundra Tough

Tundra Tough New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra CM Limited 4x4
    Ceramic Coated Paint & Chrome, Coated Floormats & Leather from Kendall at Velocity Visions, Bed Extender, Interior LED Light Bulbs, K&N Air Filter, Line-X Liner, Center Cargo Tray
    Yes, mine is a 4x4 and a 2018 for that price. My Dealer was very easy to work with, and no hassle.

15. Jan 17, 2018 at 9:38 PM
    Beast037

Beast037 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leeoohhh!!!
    Vehicle:
    "Losing money"= them not making as much as they typically can.

Run'em to the bone!!! Sit and waste their time, make them lose a Saturday of sales, come back in and do it again. This will cause the rep to sell you the vehicle cause now he is losing days of work. You save $$$ doing so.

I just like to shit on sales reps.

Lmk if you need help negotiating.

Zero One Actual likes this.
  16. Jan 18, 2018 at 3:59 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    I use USAA car buying service, and have always been very happy with my vehicle purchases. I never negotiate with sales staff, love it, and it cuts out all the smoke and window sticker bullshit. I let USAA negotiate on my behalf and dealers know it’s a guaranteed sale if they are a USAA participating car purchasing dealership.

For 26 yrs, USAA has been our primary home and auto insurer so they do have a “dog in the fight” making sure we are not paying more than what the new vehicle is worth.
    My present Tundra and Honda Accord purchases took maybe about 2 hrs...done. This time is usually prepping for us to take delivery. At delivery, wife and I inspect the new vehicle while on the phone with USAA, once we approve that there are no issues and the vehicle is exactly what we want we give the approval for USAA to cut the electronic funds transfer from our acct. Done!
    Rest assured, they make their $$$ up on the LIBS - low information buyers or “lot walk ons”. I just shake my head when at a dealership and I see a not in control potential buyers sitting in the “hot seat” at the salesmen’s cube getting hammered over a monthly payment. Sad since a truck or car or land and a home are the biggest purchases most hard working people will ever make. There will be naysayers to this car buying service, I can tell you, it has worked excellent for me.

Old saying- “if you gonna be dumb in life decisions, you better be dam tough”.

FWIW.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  17. Jan 18, 2018 at 5:09 AM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra Platinum Blueprint CM 4x4 5.5ft Non HV
    so I guess you don't mind when someone wastes your whole day and makes you waste your time/money for no benefit. the only thing you are doing is wasting a salespersons day when they have no influence on the process. and the manager that approves it could care less since he has plenty of other sales he is working that you sitting there wasting the sales person time and your time causes him to lose zero sleep.

next time you are waiting the dmv, service technician or whatever and you sit there all day and they tell you to come back the next day or reschedule, remember this.

71_340 and Tony v like this.
  18. Jan 18, 2018 at 5:17 AM
    Heeler13

Heeler13 21MGM

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sr5 XP
    Bilstein 5100 Front @ middle setting Bilstein 5100 Rear @ stock height Oem older Pro wheels 285/75/18 Maxxis Razr a/t
    Carmax can be just as bad as a dealer sometimes, depending on what Carmax location you go to. I tried that route one time with trying to sell them my 2002 Tacoma that was in pristine shape. They tried to tell me it "had been on a frame machine, so it must have been wrecked". Funny thing is, i bought that truck brand new, didnt have a scratch on it. I walked out of there so fast, the rep was chasing me. Ended up selling the truck myself and got asking price.

BamaGuyinTX[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jan 18, 2018 at 12:43 PM
    Tundra Tough

Tundra Tough New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra CM Limited 4x4
    Ceramic Coated Paint & Chrome, Coated Floormats & Leather from Kendall at Velocity Visions, Bed Extender, Interior LED Light Bulbs, K&N Air Filter, Line-X Liner, Center Cargo Tray
    USAA and Pentagon Federal both have car buying services, yes, are they helpful, yes, somewhat. I have found it takes time and you really need to pull multiple zip codes up in order to find the best pricing on the vehicle your researching. Afterwards, once the Dealers contact you, then you can actually begin to negotiate. TrueCar doesn't allow any of them to list below a certain discount is what 5 Dealers informed me. Having Dealers negotiate and being up front and honest, letting them know other pricing is better, and supplying a written quote, is where I have found the savings really lies, besides the last day of the month, before close, and at the end of the year if the Dealers in that state are subject to a horrendous inventory tax.

Is this better now...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  20. Jan 18, 2018 at 1:32 PM
    Tony v

Tony v Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 CrewMax
    Dude that’s not good negotiating. That’s just being an ass.

71_340 likes this.
  21. Jan 18, 2018 at 3:02 PM
    Beast037

Beast037 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leeoohhh!!!
    Vehicle:
    Not gonna disagree,,, partially being an ass... but listen here, I'm in sales and I negotiate very valuable contracts. My clients expect a certain product for a certain price, therefore I give it to them. As a car buyer, ALL reps try and take you for all your money.

During one of the test drives while negotiating for my '18, I opened up my prices to the salesman and all he could do was say he can match or beat. So then we went for a drive and during this drive he told me a few stories. One of these stories was about some of the native Americans, in the local area, come to him directly for "deals". He had a client of his give him $15k down, for an sr5, and applied all of it to interest and kept his payment over $750 a month..... now tell me that I'm an ass for knowing different ways to drive my prices down.

My deal in Tampa was so great, everyone else in Miami could only make false promises to bring me in.

Me as a salesman, I give my word and when I tell my clients something I honor it. I don't try and take them for their money even when I have the opportunity!

22. Jan 18, 2018 at 3:48 PM
    Beast037

Beast037 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leeoohhh!!!
    Vehicle:
    BLAHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

23. Jan 18, 2018 at 4:47 PM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    I have to agree. A car salesman/woman is trying to steal as much money as they can from you in any way they can. It starts with the paper deal and pricing, then you think you get a good deal there, so they send you to the finance room where that individual tries to screw you over even more with shiny warranties and GAP protections and whatever else they can get you with, so if you get hosed in that room, all those hours you just spent "schooling" the salesperson went out the window. They are a team of magicians working together to F you. Name a time you were about to pay window sticker and the lot lizard said "Oh but sir, you are paying way too much, you should really only be paying XXXXX.XX!" Never happens. They want to be that way, then realize it is a two way street except you are the one with the money and there are other streets to walk down.

24. Jan 18, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    Tony v

Tony v Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 CrewMax
    Well that was definitely an asshole dealer.

25. Jan 18, 2018 at 5:44 PM
    Beast037

Beast037 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leeoohhh!!!
    Vehicle:
    All of them are! I help people as much as I can when I make my sales calls. Y can't they do the same? Their sales would triple if they weren't such bastards... like mine do! I believe it's better to have fast nickels VS slow dimes.

26. Jan 22, 2018 at 5:59 AM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    that is dependent on the deaerlship.

if you have a dealership dealing in volume then you don't have that issue. the Toyota dealers dealing in volume make the money on meeting monthly/quarterly sales goals with Toyota and receive a kickback bonus on number sold. usually those dealers pay the sale person a flat rate per vehicle sold (250-350) each and then give a bonus for a monthly threshold sold (usually 7-8 to 11-14 for tier 1 and 2 sales)

27. Jan 22, 2018 at 6:31 AM
    Dabutcher

Dabutcher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Twin Cities
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue Tundra SR5 CM 4x4 Beauty
    Toytec Boss coilover, Ray10’s ,Ridge Grapplers,Bilstein 5100,BAM 8”,TRD sway,
    When I was shopping I was looking at a used 2017 tundra . Dealer asked if I wanted to trade in my Sienna. I humored him with what will you give me? 2004 Sienna XLE loaded with 242,000 miles. They came back with $700.00. I said no thanks. Put it for sale on CL for $3,800.00. Two hours later had it sold for $3,500.00. I just feel somewhat sorry for all the dupes who have no money saved for a down payment . And trade their old car in for peanuts. Peace. D

28. Jan 22, 2018 at 8:16 PM
    TundraTXTSS

TundraTXTSS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Conroe
    Vehicle:
    2020 White TRD Pro
    Window Breakage add on Alarm,Wireless Charger. Console Safe, Rear Dif Breather Relocation, Rear Under seat Storage, Hard wire for Radar Detector, Tonnneau Cover, Brake Sensor Protection,SABM with TRD Filter, Tailgate lock, BFG's, LED Running lights.D-3 Tuner.
    I bought mine, 2018, 4x4 TSS Off Road for $41,250, sticker was $47,968 and got 0% Interest for 5 yrs. I was happy with that. Plus the truck came with BF Goodrich All Terrain Tires, sprayed in Bedliner had the dealer also install front window tint. Now the mods begin.
    TrJtUJDuTxuCNrtFlDasUQ.jpg +OYP888ZQfCScaduyNll+Q.jpg

jp_over, 757TUNDRA and 8MINT8 like this.
  29. Jan 23, 2018 at 6:02 AM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    only issue I have with GST/SET is this TSS edition where they jack the price up a lot for a SR5 just by adding rims and a few cosmetic things. in the end its still a basic SR5 that you could have added those same items for maybe 1/4 of the price that they have on the sticker for the same stuff.

but I get that some people rather have someone else do all the work and just go up and buy it. otherwise the regional port wouldn't keep selling them.

30. Jan 23, 2018 at 6:11 AM
    Primo

Primo White Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR Double Cab
    Level kit and TRD Pro Grill Installed.
    I have 233,890 miles on my 2007 Tundra Limited. Knock on wood, no issues except that I had to replace the condenser on my air conditioner last summer. Other than that, the truck still rides pretty darn good. Thinking of purchasing a 2018. Looking for a good deal. TRD Package, rims, sprayed bedliner, crewmax, under 40K. we will see. more to follow.

Products Discussed in

To Top