1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is my best option here?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by chphilo, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Jul 10, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    chphilo

chphilo [OP] Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    I have OME 614 with add-a-leaf in the rear. My rear is about 1/8 inches higher than the front.

I am planning to get a cap (camper shell, some people call it) sometime in the future. I am also planning to purchase a travel trailer, sometime.

The caps I've looked at weighs just under 200 lbs. If I tow a trailer in addition to the cap, I am pretty certain that my front end is going to be higher than the rear.

What is the best option for me?
    1. Add another leaf, possibly more than one, on each side.
    2. Replace the whole leaf springs with the OME Dakar springs (thereby raising it total of 2 & 1/2 inches.
    3. Get a set of Timbren or Sumo spring
    4. Helper spring or Superstring
    5. Coachbuilder shackles
    6. ???

Any other options? What do you say is the best way to make sure that my Tundra does not have the reverse rake?

2. Jul 10, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I would say shackles. It will improve the rear handling too. They are an easy add on.

chphilo[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 10, 2015 at 11:54 PM
    Rkcruza

Rkcruza New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra AC 4WD TRD OR SR5
    De Badged / Decaled, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags w/ Daystar Cups, 17" Rims, Big Brake kit w/ slotted & drilled rotors, plus lots of work related stuff.
    You also might look into the Firestone Ride Rite Airbags and add the Daystar cradles. I run these on my 02 Tundra and have a set in the garage to put on the Taco Pro this Sunday.

chphilo[OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 11, 2015 at 10:16 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Alcan custom leaf spring pack

chphilo[OP] and Mike like this.
  5. Jul 12, 2015 at 6:07 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    X2.. Only way to go.

chphilo[OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 12, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    chphilo

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    If I were to add Coachbuilder shackles, could I still use the extra leaves I added or do I need to take them out?

Air bag seems to be most popular option. How difficult to is it to maintain them?

How do Alcan springs compare to Dakar (Old Man Emu) springs in terms of reliability and function? The new forum vendor, Coachbuilder gave a rave review on Dakar.

7. Jul 12, 2015 at 1:10 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Depends on what you want the ride to be like. You can get a shackle to add another inch and leave the extra leaf on. I don't have any experience with airbags or alcons, but even if I did either one of those I'd still have shackles and poly bushings in the back just from the difference in the feel of the rear over stock that I've experienced. I've thought about the alcons but I've read they get pretty squeaky.

chphilo[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 14, 2015 at 8:48 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Added alcans to my tacoma with 6" lift. Was a much better ride than the add a leaf and block. Didn't have any problems in the couple years that I had them before selling the truck. The stock leaves were completely flat and squeezed bad. The alcans had a nice arch.

The thing with Alcan is that they are custom. You tell them what you needs are. Lift height, how much weight you keep in your bed, how much weight you tow, on road or off-road performance, etc. they build them to work best for that application. Price is competitive to the others as well.

chphilo[OP] and TruckyTruck like this.
  9. Jul 14, 2015 at 8:50 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    I'm considering the shackles for my tundra but with the almost flat stock leaves I think it would ride better with arched longer leaves.

chphilo[OP] and TruckyTruck like this.
  10. Jul 18, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    Rkcruza

Rkcruza New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra AC 4WD TRD OR SR5
    De Badged / Decaled, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags w/ Daystar Cups, 17" Rims, Big Brake kit w/ slotted & drilled rotors, plus lots of work related stuff.
    I h

I have had Firestone Ride Rite Air bags on my 1st gen Tundra for about 10 years with no issues....maint is to check the air about once a month or so. I did have some bracket issues early on but swapped in the Daystar Cradles and have had no issues since. Just put a set on my Taco Pro as it was a tad nose high from the factory and with the shell it was a bit of a tail dragger. 12psi in the bags put me even at all 4 fender openings which ends up being slightly tail high which for me is just right. Very few miles on the Taco as I just put the bags on, but I liked them enough on the Tundra to put them on the Taco.

chphilo[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Jul 18, 2015 at 3:14 PM
    Hopendreams

Hopendreams New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    glen
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Regular cab
    I just added a leaf at the local spring shop $750. It was the best thing I did to the truck. It's solid as a rock and handles so much better.

chphilo[OP] likes this.
  12. Jul 20, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    chphilo

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all for the input. I am in the research phase (probably looking to purchase in a few months), so I want to find out as much as I can about different options.

Would you guys recommend getting extra leaves from Alcan or getting a new spring set? Approximate price?

Would shackles flatten out the factory springs with truck cap on? The cap I am thinking of is around 200 lbs.

Holy cow, that's a very expensive leaf?

13. Jul 21, 2015 at 2:49 AM
    Hopendreams

Hopendreams New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    glen
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Regular cab
    It was expensive but this is Connecticut. There is a local heavy duty repair shop that has been in business over 70 years that I brought it to. Superior Spring always had a great reputation. Most of their work is on big equipment and commercial trucks. I helped my dad run a NAPA auto parts store for 31 years. My biggest and best customers always used Superior Spring. Anyway, they were going to get the job no matter what. When I step up on the bed the truck used to momentarily deflect 4-5 inches with my 200 plus pounds. Now it barely moves. It raised the bed 2 inches freestanding and the truck no longer rolls or dips in turns. It's just what I wanted.

Products Discussed in

To Top