1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What home improvement work did you do today?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by atrinh15, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Feb 15, 2021 at 8:02 AM
    MEWaters

MEWaters New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    07 2UZFE TRD OR; previous 02 AC 323k
    Eibach pro suspension Nitro 4.88 with Auburn Pro LSD and PTFE diff bushings Level 8 MK6 18x9 SAIS bypass JBA cat back Scangauge 2 Diode dynamic fogs. LED heads Husky liners
    I was going to say sand and recoat. They obviously make those fillers. Looks like sanding wouldn't be your best bet if there are lots of those long gaps. Unless you were planning on a complete sand and finish. Look for some sawdust?

2. Feb 15, 2021 at 10:05 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Almost the full bottom floor is this wood floor, not wanting to do the whole thing. The kitchen area is what needs attention.

3. Feb 15, 2021 at 10:08 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    I’d wait until summer and see if they close up first. It’s normal to have gaps appear in the winter. If it’s just thermal movement, you could have issues in the warmer months if you fill the gaps with something solid.

4. Feb 15, 2021 at 10:54 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    I wouldn't try to fill those. It may be my area but that's what a lot of floors here end up looking like when it's dry like @Squatting Pigeon mentioned.

If you try to fill them make sure it isn't something that dries hard as it may end up popping out during normal floor movement.

5. Feb 15, 2021 at 11:29 AM
    TaquitoBandito

TaquitoBandito SSEM #91, KitKat Aficionado, A Dancer for Money Exotic Dancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro Crewmax
    Retrax Pro XR, Desert Eagle Plate, Seat Jackers, Kenwood DMX1037S
    I saw something years ago on This Old House that said you can wood stain pieces of twine and stick it in the gaps. I've been meaning to do that here and haven't gotten around to it. That way you don't have to worry about expansion or shrinking.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  6. Feb 15, 2021 at 11:47 AM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    Well, this sucks. It's pretty out but it sucks. Temps got down to 12 last night. Fortunately we haven't been part of the rolling blackouts yet. We have a Moen Touchsense Kitchen faucet that I installed in 2016. Didn't know until about midnight that you can't let it run. It just turns off after a certain point. If you unplug the power to it, it doesn't work at all. The newer ones sense a freeze and they drip. Anyways, I would try to walk up every few hours to turn it back on but noticed full blast was turning into a trickle at about 4 am.

Woke up this morning and my wife said we didn't have any hot water. Kitchen sink was drizzling. I bundled up, went outside to the tankless and it had an error saying there was an exhaust obstruction. Checked it and it was fine. The condensate has a long tube that is only about 4 inches off of the ground and it had filled with ice. I spent about an hour with a hairdryer and I was able to melt the ice. I cut a couple of inches off of the tube and triple wrapped it. So we have hot water again.

The kitchen sink had no cold and the refrigerator line was no longer working. I bundled up again and crawled under the house. The fridge line was wrapped but I found two cracks on it. I wrapped the cracks in Flex tape and crawled over to the sink lines. There was a point where the hot water line and cold water line cross and touched (they are both copper) - the cold water line cracked at that point. I wrapped it in flex tape. So it looks like I have at least two lines to replace at this point. Tomorrow morning is looking like 4 degrees.

No plumbers anticipate being able to get out until the end of the week or early next week. Hopefully the Flextape will hold if things thaw before we can get things fixed/replaced.

IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg

Cpl_Punishment and Fotnot like this.
  7. Feb 15, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    Fotnot

Fotnot SSEM #69; LRCS#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    SW Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sequoia TRD PRO Lunar Rock
    Swimmers gonna swim
    Dang sorry to hear man. This cold is causing some issues for people!

8. Feb 15, 2021 at 12:30 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    We've got it better than a lot of people so I'm thankful for that. The State's energy management told Austin Energy to temporarily shut their power off to places that didn't have essential infrastructure. They turned the power off at 1:30am and they State won't give Austin Energy permission to turn it back on again. They said it could be off through tomorrow night. My stepdaughter is one of the ones affected. At this point I'd rather have to replace some pipes than to go days without power. (knocking on wood).

Stay safe over there - weather like this usually kicks Texas in the crotch and then heads your way to wreak even more havoc.

Fotnot[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 15, 2021 at 6:56 PM
    AZTundra

AZTundra No Longer a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax Limited 5.7 FFV
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    Picked up some Chemical Guys Hydroslick from a local automotive detailing store. I appiled it Sunday afternoon to the shower glass doors and will report back how well it does and lasts.

20210215_155913.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  10. Feb 16, 2021 at 5:39 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    Today was expensive. It went down to 6 last night, warmed up into the mid-20's. I had a feeling that I needed to go get some shut-off valves so I went to the local hardware store. When I got back, I took a walk around the house to inspect the hose bibs and heard water rushing. Turned off the water at the street and crawled under the house. I cut the two pipes that were leaking and put shut-off valves on them. I turned the water back on and the plumbers called. They were only doing "temporary repairs" but since I had laid in the mud and cut the pipes, they had to do a permanent fix :)

Turns out our stupid Moen Touchsense kitchen faucet that was too smart to drip or allow you to run water for more than an hour or so was also restricting the water pressure. We always thought it was something to do with the hot water line. While the plumbers were working on replacing the copper pipe I cut with pex, I went to Lowes to buy a new "Dumb" faucet that I could drip and picked up a Delta. I pulled out the Moen and put in the Delta and our water pressure coming out of it is AMAZING. The plumber didn't fix the hot line and it was only trickling out so we all thought there was blockage in the line. So the blockage was the damn Moen.

Anyways, expensive day but completely worth it. Now if we can just get to the weekend - we have two more winter storms heading our way then it's 60 degrees and a shitload of broken pipes all over Texas. I half expect plumbers to descend on Texas like roofers do after a big wind storm. It's gonna be bad. :bucket:

IMG_2054.jpg

11. Feb 16, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    Azblue

Azblue Beer is Good Ban Moderator

Member:
    The Dirty T
    Texas just isn't built for that shit. Same thing here in Tucson, we do shit like re-plum our houses over the roof when it's needed to avoid cutting all the walls, water pipes come out of the ground and into the house on the outside, shit like that because, well, why not.
    A few years ago we had temps in the teens for hours overnight and it seemed like 1/2 the water pipes in the entire city burst.

TaquitoBandito likes this.
  12. Feb 16, 2021 at 6:09 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Magnuson Supercharger, TRD Goodies (Pro Suspension, Pro Grille, Exhaust, CAI, Rear Sway Bar, Oil Cap). Weather Tech Floormats, BakFlip MX4, Spray In Bedliner, AMP Research Bed Extender and Bed Step, Side Steps, B&W Adjustable Drop Hitch, AJT Designs Battery Hold Down, SDHQ Sliders.
    When we had a hailstorm back in 2010 which is unusual for Phoenix we had all kinds of roofers coming in from out of state along with the PDR guys. We ended up getting a new roof among many other things replaced as we got hit real bad. My roofer said he was getting calls from other roofers out of state wanting to do work out here under his name and give him a kick back....he even played a couple voicemails he had received and said there's no way he'd ever let someone do that under his company's name.

Glad you got it all squared away.

13. Feb 16, 2021 at 6:16 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    I'm seeing a lot of that on the news - people with no power having their water pipes burst in their ceilings. Especially those in apartments.
    The town we used to live in told people to stop dripping their faucets because the city is running out of water... It's crazy.

Azblue[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Feb 16, 2021 at 6:31 PM
    Kung

Kung [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    I turned the water supply off to our master bedroom suite.

*applause*

Ok, a bit more in-depth explanation:

We used to have a carport right off the side of our kitchen; it was 25' x 28', with a fully trussed roof built on a construction grade slab (it's like 24" thick, with metal fabric, rebar, the whole shebang). So when we bought it we said "If we ever get the money, that's going to be our master suite."

So we did, in 2016. However, since the master suite was built on the side of our house, we had two choices - either tear off all of the siding and crap before we build, or just build a new wall on the side of that. We chose the latter - it saved us like $5k.

However, we did have to punch through the bottom (just above the slab) with the water supply lines and such. The issue with this (not a huge one) is that since it's not technically one big wall (there's a very very small crack where the new siding marries up with the old siding), there's a VERY small crack where air can get in. When it gets super cold (as in, around 0F overnight), it can freeze the water lines.

My dumb @$$, however, forgot for 4 years that to combat this, they put a water shutoff valve on the cold/hot water supply line to the extension....so I've dealt with very occasionally freezing water lines right up until today when my wife said "Why didn't the builders just put a valve on the supply lines?" :facepalm:

Anyways...so yeah. We're blessed - subzero temps, but our electrical here is VERY stable, the foreman for the electric company lives right next door (in fact, he built our house), and all of the lines are inside the house (other than that one). We've also got a central wood furnace if the power did go out.

15. Feb 17, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Well, demo started today in the master bathroom. There was a wall and doorway that divided the vanity from the toilet/shower area which came down. The toilet will be turned and the plumbing and vent will be relocated. The shower plumbing will be moved to the opposite side as well in preparation of the glass enclosure. Plan to install wall showerhead on the exterior wall and also run a rainfall showerhead above. Soffit is coming out and a new ceiling register will be installed with flex duct. More to come, but glad we are making some progress.
    20210217_072935.jpg 20210217_072954.jpg 20210217_180638.jpg 20210217_180706.jpg 20210217_180720.jpg

ColoradoTJ, GiddyUp, csuviper and 2 others like this.
  16. Feb 17, 2021 at 7:40 PM
    Yzed608

Yzed608 New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Does that door lead outside?

Pudge and I_Am_Thee_Walrus like this.
  17. Feb 17, 2021 at 9:33 PM
    WAtundra4x4

WAtundra4x4 Retired from active retirement.

Member:
    First Name:
    Den
    Wet side WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tundra TRD crewmax limited
    Forward looking camera, Stub Antenna, 3M clearshield. A few other non lifted items.
    Is this your first winter with this floor? Real wood contracts in the winter due to the cold. Wait till it warms up and the cracks will get smaller...

18. Feb 18, 2021 at 6:27 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yes, the door with the curtain leads to the backyard.

19. Feb 18, 2021 at 8:53 AM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    Very...interesting...layout.
    :monocle:
    I can see doing that to a utility room in more northern climates where rain/mud/dirt are more of an issue. As a kid, my grandparents owned a dairy farm. You came into the back porch and went down the basement steps to a laundry/utility room that had a shower and toilet. No one came into the house from the barn without going down there to take off their boots (or a full shower and change of clothes depending on what you were doing in the barn).

20. Feb 18, 2021 at 9:00 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Outside of the door there are some pavers that lead to the patio and pool. I guess the thought was that you can go straight from the pool into the bathroom without dripping water throughout the house.

1UPPER, TaquitoBandito, JMB and 2 others like this.
  21. Feb 18, 2021 at 9:03 AM
    I_Am_Thee_Walrus

I_Am_Thee_Walrus New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra TRD Off-Road
    That makes sense & is pretty convenient for fun times ;);)

22. Feb 18, 2021 at 9:06 AM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    Yep - that makes total sense then. Sort of an "attached pool house" - keep the kiddos from using the pool as their bath tub and toilet.

23. Feb 18, 2021 at 9:13 AM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Outside view.
    20210218_100922.jpg

24. Feb 18, 2021 at 9:18 AM
    ebpgh

ebpgh .

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tundra
    Does that thing run super hot in there? We have a ps4 and it sounds like a jet engine if the door is closed while it is on.

25. Feb 18, 2021 at 10:14 AM
    drobb

drobb The Feral Snail

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax 4x4

It does get warm.... we open the doors when in use.

26. Feb 18, 2021 at 4:28 PM
    AZTundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Little more demo completed in the bathroom today. Saturday will get the shower pan removed. Jackhammering and plumbing will start next week.

20210218_171914.jpg
    20210218_172004.jpg

27. Feb 18, 2021 at 8:07 PM
    Yzed608

Yzed608 New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Gotcha, that does make sense.

AZTundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Feb 20, 2021 at 6:36 PM
    Baja Mike

Baja Mike Baja Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    South Bay, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra TRD 4x4 SR5 white
    LED interior lights, Baja Designs foglights, Baja Designs S8 hood bulge light bar, LED bed lights, Baja Designs S8 amber bar in bumper on Rago Fab mounts, AMP Research bedstep, Switch Pros sp-9100, tinted door windows
    More backyard work. Laid down a little more sod around the firepit so that the neighborhood skunk doesn't do more damage on his next visit. Also replaced a sprinkler head that had been stuck and wasn't rotating like it should be. I then tested the sprinklers and they worked fine. Filled the dirt back in and tested them again. It seemed like there was a drop in water pressure. WTF? I had noticed that the sprinkler actuator/regulators had been leaking soI decided to check on them. When I did there was a huge amount of water puddling up. That isn't right. there was water bubbling up from one of the lines. I grab it to see if it was loose and well, it was. UGH. Grabbed a shovel and dug up the sprinkler line. Turns out the pvc elbow had come off from the line. The only thing holding it in place was all the dirt. Originally the elbow was only glued on a 1/4 of an inch. So I glued in back on and made damn sure it was seated on there correctly.

Lesson learned here, when you buy an older house have the inspector or realtor make sure every damn thing works. lol

TaquitoBandito, saybng and Fotnot like this.
  29. Feb 20, 2021 at 7:20 PM
    Rob-ot

Rob-ot New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2012 Gray Tundra Limited TRD
    Rock Warrior TRD wheels
    Put up some paneling to cover up some iffy looking work done work by the previous owner.

480E2463-5701-4A1F-9EE6-DD93483B0FE9.jpg
    1956A919-DBDB-4AF4-8B59-A370C219D4EE.jpg

Attached Files:

30. Feb 20, 2021 at 8:15 PM
    ACDC2ZZTop

ACDC2ZZTop Rock n Roll!

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM Tundra double cab 5.7L V8
    All cosmetic so far see my posts in 2nd gen Black out chrome in progress….
    Tore out overgrown arborvitae
    Replacing with fence. Less maintenance

7CF4783D-1067-4470-9B54-68178B1FFC84.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top