1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What home improvement work did you do today?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by atrinh15, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Dec 31, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    scpete24

scpete24 Duuuuuuude

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro Super White
    Are you caulking between the baseboard and floor or is that a trim piece? Or neither and I'm seeing things?

2. Dec 31, 2020 at 9:05 AM
    RangerBP

RangerBP SC Expat

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 DC, Silver Sky
    Both tops and bottoms of baseboard are caulked.

TaquitoBandito and jewsNbrews like this.
  3. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:06 AM
    2010bigdog

2010bigdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM SR5 TRD
    bottom too ??? Never seen that before

4. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Thanks to work handing out Costco gift cards for Christmas, I just ordered a Bosch 300 series dishwasher from Costco to replace the POS Samsung that crapped out on us a few months ago. It'll be nice not to wash dishes by hand like a peasant. :D

5. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:24 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I'm surprised; I thought Samsung appliances were supposed to be pretty good. When our shitty Brick brand oven died, the Samsung got the best reviews and was the cheapest of the good options so that's what we bought. Similar story when the keypad on our Sears brand microwave stopped working.

What I don't get is this: my house was built in 2007. It looks like these appliances were installed in about 2011. Therefore, it looks like whoever was living here at that time replaced the original appliances with cheap knockoffs when the originals were less than 5 years old.

TaquitoBandito likes this.
  6. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:27 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    @Outbound is just bitter. :crazy:
    I've had only Samsung appliances since the mid 2000's and have never had issue with any one of them.

7. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:35 AM
    Yzed608

Yzed608 New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Everyone I've heard from that has had Samsung appliances says stay away. They die quickly (few years) and can't get replacement parts. Maybe the older versions were more reliable?

I'll stick to using Samsung for phones and hard drives, have had good luck with those.

8. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:35 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    My parents only buy Samsung or LG now. They bought a GE fridge about 15 years ago and it was after the compressor died (about a week into owning it) that they discovered that every brand other than LG (Samsung wasn't selling fridges in Canada at that time) used Amana compressors and they were all failing so they were back ordered. Ever try living a couple weeks without a fridge?

The repair guy was also condescending to my mother, trying to explain to her that she couldn't possibly know how the compressor is supposed to work, despite her mechanical engineering degree and her experience designing and maintaining them for the chemicals industry.

9. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:35 AM
    RangerBP

RangerBP SC Expat

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 DC, Silver Sky
    I had started the baseboard project with one style of baseboard .75” shorter and almost twice as wide as what I’m currently using. The flooring was laid with that baseboard dimension in mind. When HD no longer offered that dimension of trim in the multi-packs, I changed baseboard stock, primarily for cost efficiency since I was replacing boards through the whole house. Fortunately, I only got through a couple of closets and both bathrooms before making that change.

With the thinner baseboard, some of the floor planks were juuuuuust under the thinner baseboard and caulking the bottoms seemed like a good idea due to the close tolerances. Also I caulked in places where there may be incidental water splashing, like where the dogs’ feeding/watering mat is, bathrooms, etc.

There are also a couple of places where there were some small (<1/8”) gaps btw the trim and floor in places that my OCD couldn’t handle, so I caulked those too. After seeing where there was caulk in some places and not in others, I decided to make it standard throughout.

With the amount of dirt and dog hair production in this house (2 shepherds), it also keeps dirt and hair from finding the gap between floor and trim.

I’m “Harry Homeowner”-ing my way through this thing, so please don’t take my way of doing things as *any* sort of example.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    DaBoro54 likes this.
  10. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:38 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Actually, yes I have! I had the same experience as your parents with two separate whirlpool fridges, and that is why I went Samsung.

Gotta love the prima donnas who are the only ones on the planet that could possibly know how to do what they do. :rolleyes:

11. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:40 AM
    RangerBP

RangerBP SC Expat

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 DC, Silver Sky
    I am not one to go on and on about appliances good or bad, but let me go on and on about how badass Bosch dishwashers are...

So very impressed with both of my experiences with them. I think you’ll be happy with it.

12. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    Outbound

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    @Cpl_Punishment, I've heard some people have luck with Samsung appliances but that seems to be the exception not the rule. Almost everyone I know who has Samsung appliances has issues. My friend's wife worked in an appliance repair shop and 60% of their call outs were for Samsung units. Multiple repair guys we've had and talked to over the years have confirmed this as well. Samsung is generally regarded as the worst appliance manufacturer out there. LG isn't much better.

Take our fridge for example. It was icing up completely to the point I would have to shut it down and de-ice it every three weeks. I have a thread here somewhere with pictures. After much research, it turned out to be a T shaped piece of sheet metal that extends into the drain port from a heater coil to keep the port from freezing. Samsung made the piece 1" too small, so it doesn't extend deep enough to work. There was actually a class action lawsuit in the US about it, yet Samsung never bothered to fix the design. I bought a 2 pack of replacement pieces for $5 on Amazon and it's hasn't iced over since. It's this kind of crap that's common with Samsung. Little design flaws, usually in the electrical system, that they don't bother to update or fix and which cause massive headaches.

Our dishwasher wouldn't finish a cycle and wouldn't fully drain. We threw $300 in parts at it and the repair guy came out 4 times trying to sort it out. No go. Even the Samsung tech our guy called basically shrugged and said "That sucks. Too bad it's out of warranty".

My parents have had a Samsung fridge, washer and dryer all fail on them with in 4 years of purchase. Each time, they got told "You got 4 years out this? Wow. You got a bonus year!". Needless to say, they don't buy Samsung either.

Our range and microwave are GE and problem free. When the fridge craps out, it'll be replaced with GE or Whirlpool. When the Samsung washer and dryer die (the screen on the dryer is alredy kaput), they'll be replaced with all mechanical Speed Queen units.

13. Dec 31, 2020 at 10:50 AM
    Outbound

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Glad to hear it. I haven't heard a bad thing about Bosch yet, even their low end models. :)

14. Dec 31, 2020 at 11:16 AM
    scpete24

scpete24 Duuuuuuude

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro Super White
    Me either, that's why I asked haha

@1UPPER are there any reasons for or against caulking the joint between baseboard and flooring? I have never seen it done but I guess it wouldn't matter either way outside of time and material to do...

15. Dec 31, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Can't speak to reliability of it other than the fact that I lived there for 4 years but I really liked that the Samsung dryer I had in my condo would actually get my clothes dry. The dryers all think your clothes are dry when they're in fact just warm. After my Samsung was done running, it would keep sensing while it cooled off and start back up once it realized the clothes were still wet. With the LG in my wife's condo and the Whirlpool in our house, I have to just keep running the longest cycle at the hottest temperature I can find over and over again until my clothes finally dry a day later.

16. Dec 31, 2020 at 11:55 AM
    Outbound

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    That's weird. Our Samsung dryer has problems getting our clothes dry. Even when put to the hottest temp and longest cycle, half the time we have to to put them in for another cycle. :notsure:

17. Dec 31, 2020 at 11:59 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    I suspect the one I had was original to the condo, which would have made it 2004 vintage. Maybe the new ones suck.

18. Dec 31, 2020 at 12:42 PM
    TaquitoBandito

TaquitoBandito SSEM #91, KitKat Aficionado, A Dancer for Money Exotic Dancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro Crewmax
    Retrax Pro XR, Desert Eagle Plate, Seat Jackers, Kenwood DMX1037S
    If they were builder grade, that might be why. Our first-house was brand new and loaded with GE crap. Everything started dying literally the day after the warranty expired. We went to Lowes to get replacements and they recommended GE. Told them there's no way we'd buy their stuff because of what happened. Lowes said it was "builder-grade" appliances. Cheap shit they toss in the houses. Why anybody would expect me to run out and rebuy their products after their "builder-grade" version dies is beyond me.

We had a Samsung washer and dryer set that was amazing and a Samsung microwave. I think it all kind of goes in cycles though - when we moved here, LG seemed to be putting out the good stuff so that's what we have now. Except the dishwasher - Bosch made the best one at the time.

19. Dec 31, 2020 at 12:52 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    We’re ready to move/upgrade so I might have installed something better. It’s a Danze Jasper on sale in Canada for $98, reg $299. It seems decent quality though.

I also replaced a crusty chrome one in our guest bathroom with this farmer’s contemporary Pfister. I don’t know if black is a new thing but they look cool.
    230A7874-AE4D-4F69-9B03-A17245309461.jpg

jewsNbrews and TaquitoBandito like this.
  20. Dec 31, 2020 at 12:57 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    I finally got around to descaling our ice maker today. Yuck.

I also replaced the under sink filter in the little bar sink (that feeds the ice maker). When we bought this house, I paid for a whole-home water filter. The guy took all day to install it and comes walking up to me all sheepishly when he was done and started telling me that some of the toilets will have filtered water but some of the sinks won't. What did I want to do? I asked him what he'd do if it was his house. His response was "I was afraid you'd ask that." He came back the next day and "fixed" it.

About a year later, we buy this kick ass little Skotsman Icemaker. My wife loves ice and I got sick of buying 5lb bags of it. So, I bought it for our anniversary and it's amazing, makes little pellet ice (the same that you get at a Sonic). I'm cheap when I can be, so I installed it myself. The ice kept tasting weird so I thought it needed to run through and clean itself out. After a day or two, I start researching and Skotsman's don't do that, they just come "clean". I end up getting a glass of water out of the bar sink and it tasted the same. So that's when it clicked that the idiot never fixed it. Don't know why he didn't tie into the water line coming into the house, but he didn't.

Anyways, I call the plumber and tell them that I don't believe he ever fixed my whole-home water filter. They come out, climb under the house and say "Yep, it's not connected. It'll be $300 to fix it." I said "Nope." and they charged me $40 for coming out to tell me that they didn't do their job correctly the first time. There's more to it after that (the owner saying I was ungrateful for being mad they we're going to charge me to fix their mistake) but I'm tired of typing and you're tired of reading at this point.

So now I have a Woder undersink filter that I have to change out every 3 years or so under my bar for my bar sink and my ice maker. The moral of the story is not to blindly trust a small town plumber to do what's right.

IMG_1932.jpg IMG_1934.jpg

21. Dec 31, 2020 at 1:00 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    On our LG, there's some settings that don't use the temp sensor. I usually will put it on that or I'll put the sensor on maximum dry level.

22. Dec 31, 2020 at 1:02 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Yeah, I use the timed dry but it won't let me run it for more than 100 minutes at a time. I usually need 2 of those cycles to get everything dry.

23. Dec 31, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    That's no good. I think it may be because of all of the layers of clothes you all wear up there.

24. Dec 31, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    RangerBP

RangerBP SC Expat

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 DC, Silver Sky
    I had a 2016/7-vintage LG when I was in national park (rental) housing. I had this same issue within a year of the park installing them. Turns out there were 2-3 heating coils in the model I had and 1-2 had burned out. Replacing them returned it to normal.

25. Dec 31, 2020 at 1:13 PM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    In my region of Texas it’s very common to see caulking at the bottom of the baseboards to the flooring. However you should never see caulking at the bottom of baseboards if you have a free floating floor. Free floating flooring is an engineered floor that is not glued or nailed to the subfloor. Free floating flooring typically has shoe mold or quarter molding at the bottom of the baseboards. This is very important as the floor needs to have the ability to move under the baseboards for expansion and contraction. Growing up in the Midwest I didn’t see caulking at the bottom of the baseboards very much.

26. Dec 31, 2020 at 1:21 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Just another reason I actually want my socks to be dry when I put them on.

27. Dec 31, 2020 at 1:23 PM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    Just a suggestion for people on the topic of dryers and them not working so well at the moment. Make sure you clean out your dryer vent of lint build up. This is a cheap tool I got on Amazon. It’s crazy how much lint builds up in the dryer vent over time. 6DB3F4BC-0EB9-4690-9FFD-8678BF99D3AA.jpg

28. Dec 31, 2020 at 1:55 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    I tried sucking mine out from the outside with a shop vac but I'm not sure how effective it actually was.

1UPPER[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Dec 31, 2020 at 2:01 PM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    The lint tends to stick to the sides of the dryer walls. So the shop vacuum can only remove a limited amount.

30. Dec 31, 2020 at 2:06 PM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    I was blown away how much this pulls out... have a shop vac ready to suck up everything you pull from the vent line

Products Discussed in

To Top