1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you want in 2022 Tundra.

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by LennyFL, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Jul 4, 2021 at 6:44 PM
    Trbspr1

Trbspr1 New Member

Member:
    I think the Tundra will definitely have all the latest and greatest gadgets. I'm looking for 3 things, more torque, more payload, more mpg. 5.7, 3.5 turbo, hybrid, not a big deal to me if the tundra can give me these.

Cpl_Punishment and MTRock like this.
  2. Jul 4, 2021 at 6:58 PM
    W///

W/// New Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red Platinum
    Plug in hybrid with 30 to 50 mile range. My commute is only 11 miles each way so this would work out great. Glad to see many other people wanting this

Toyota reliability of course. And somewhat serviceable

Heated steering wheel

Ability to remote start via phone/app

Platinum level trims starting in mid 60s (maybe wishful thinking)

Ahab and JJtruckon like this.
  3. Jul 4, 2021 at 11:39 PM
    JuicyJ

JuicyJ New Member

Member:
    Mid-level trim with heated cloth seats
    Locking rear diff
    AWD
    6.5' or longer bed

CCATT-RN and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  4. Jul 5, 2021 at 8:04 PM
    MostToysWins

MostToysWins New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Vehicle:
    2021 Mag Gray TRD Pro
    2” Ready Lift Ridge Grappler 295/70-r18 Line-X Interior storage lighting Console ambient lighting
    Agreed. I added LEDs for: glovebox, center console storage, center shift/under dash, in each footwell. In a truck of this price tier, I’m kind of surprised these aren’t standard.

5. Jul 5, 2021 at 8:07 PM
    outlaw.taco

outlaw.taco New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Trans cooler

6. Jul 7, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    Camprunner

Camprunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 trd sport
    None
    One push of a button, LOCKED, 2wd & 4wd. To heck with current 3 pushes of button and what—5 different settings? all that really do not work well. Aka, zr2, raptor, trx. Awd selection for on road mixed conditions.
    No turbo lag like f150
    Under back seat storage, four long guns.
    No super tech screens functions. Keep that like it is. Knobs and buttons for cigar fingered folks.
    Reliability, ride hard,put them up wet, repeat.

7. Sep 8, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    matthinkle

matthinkle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794 Hybrid
    Overall: reliability, durability, and a nice cabin. I don't want gimmicks and I won't pay for them. I'm here because this is supposed to be the cousin to the Land Cruiser with the powertrain from the LS. If they made a truck version of the 300 land cruiser, it'd be a done deal for me.

Powertrain: Mileage is more important to me right now than power. My opinion is that half ton trucks currently are more capable than I need. If Toyota did introduce a diesel option, I'd consider it. I was interested in the GM 3.0L diesels. I'd prefer the 3.4L TT, but I think it needs to match the specs for the Ecoboost and beat the mileage. I'd consider the Hybrid if I thought the payback period (for me) was under 2.5 years. Having the ability to run the truck as a generator is a plus, but it would depend KWs and pricing. I plan to keep the truck for 10+ years, so I do wonder about longevity of batteries. Full time AWD would be nice but not a deal breaker. Remote start is a must.

Interior: this is really important to me. I'm 37, and this is my first truck. I've held off this long because I have clients in my car often and the higher trim levels on trucks get expensive fast. I want it to have an understated, but extremely nice cabin. Leather, soft touch plastic, open pore wood. Wireless Carplay, a stereo on par with the ELS in the Acura or the high end system in the Lexus. NVH is a deal breaker. I don't want to hear rattles or a lot of road noise. Digital gauges would be nice, but I'd be fine with analog, especially if there's a HUD option. The rear window still needs to go down. The panoramic sunroof is nice, but in the last two cars I've had, I've had issues with rattles and weather striping. Ventilated seats would be nice (florida). Storage is a big deal to me. Under seat storage (or in the floor like the ram) is a must.

Exterior: Bland. I'm serious. I don't want a bro dozer, and I don't want a F150 Limited riding on 22s. Understated, nice, functional. Minimal chrome. I want an easy way to get in the bed, but don't want something overly complicated. LED perimeter lighting would be nice. Good LED headlights are a must. I don't want giant logos, or logos that light up at night, I don't want huge metal pieces on the tailgate like the Ford.

The more I think about it, I basically want the truck version of a Lexus ES. And I'm fine with that.

CCATT-RN likes this.
  8. Sep 8, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    BCTRD

BCTRD New Member

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM Tundra TRD Sport
    18"BBS Forged wheels, factory running boards, VLED's, Rigid Pro Led mod (D2 SAE), diff breather mod, Husky mats, DIY Cquartz UK 3.0, Husky liners, OCD organizers,
    Pure sine wave inverter with front and rear seat access.
    H/D battery
    Trans temp gauge & cooler
    Oil Pressure gauge
    LED bed lighting
    Puddle lights
    Decent back up lighting
    Built in convex mirrors
    Behind & under rear seat storage
    Competitive payload rating
    Auto start that doesn't shut down when the doors are unlocked
    Alloy spare
    Rod holders

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Pac12AfterDark likes this.
  9. Sep 10, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    Tundra4Runner

Tundra4Runner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner TRD PRO
    I want a RAM TRX with Toyota reliability.

jpod, 07DCLimited and 1UP like this.
  10. Sep 10, 2021 at 8:14 PM
    Pac12AfterDark

Pac12AfterDark New Member

Member:
    1) more payload (like.. a lot more)
    2) crew max + 6ft bed
    3) remote star
    4) less aggressive cruise adaptive control

11. Sep 11, 2021 at 5:25 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    I want an optional 6 cylinder opposed piston two stroke supercharged and turbocharged diesel displacing 6.0L. Should make about 500hp and 1000lb-ft, plus sound bonkers. This design has the potential to avoid many of the emissions issues of four stroke diesels. Plus mechanically very simple. No valves, no cams, no cylinder head, no cylinder head gaskets. Just a block, 6 liners, 12 pistons and rods, 2 crank shafts, and some big ass gears at the back to unify the two cranks on a single output shaft. Plus the fuel system, turbo(s), and blower.

12. Sep 12, 2021 at 9:03 AM
    FO LO

FO LO New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 CM w/ 5.7 and 4.30s
    A tundra size version of this hilux from November 4th 1983

13. Sep 16, 2021 at 6:56 AM
    Pac12AfterDark

Member:
    Auto up / auto down switches for all windows.

FO LO likes this.
  14. Sep 16, 2021 at 7:19 AM
    matthinkle

matthinkle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794 Hybrid
    I really like that this is your wish list. The rest of us are describing our dream truck, and you're over here saying you'd just like some decent switch gear on the driver's door.

15. Sep 16, 2021 at 7:22 AM
    matthinkle

matthinkle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794 Hybrid
    I've got a friend in Kabul that can get you one. Low miles. Has an American made 40 Cal mounted in the bed.

radon222, jpod and JuicyJ like this.
  16. Sep 16, 2021 at 8:15 AM
    Pac12AfterDark

Member:
    Lol - I'm a simple man. Also if they could increase the speed in which the windows go up and down when I try and close two at a time I would be really happy.

17. Sep 16, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    AggiePhil

AggiePhil Texas Chapter President

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Smoked Mesquite Platinum 4x4
    Why are so many people wanting a hybrid? I've always hated the idea of having one. Keep it simple, especially for something as important as the fuel type!

JuicyJ likes this.
  18. Sep 16, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    JuicyJ

JuicyJ New Member

Member:
    Probably people who don't keep their vehicles long enough to worry about out of warranty hybrid system repair (typically the batteries).
    You can find Prius and Leaf dirt cheap when the battery packs are seriously degraded.

I've owned my current truck over 12 years, and it's a 15 year old truck. At this age, the truck would have been technically totalled a few years ago by an under performing battery pack.

AggiePhil[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Sep 16, 2021 at 8:39 AM
    matthinkle

matthinkle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794 Hybrid
    I thought the same thing, and then the other day I was at the airport and saw the sea of second generation Prius taxis...made me wonder if this train of thought is still relevant.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  20. Sep 16, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    JuicyJ

JuicyJ New Member

Member:
    It absolutely is relevant.

Your hybrid will lose almost all of it's value when it's older and the battery pack has an error. Because the average owner only goes to a dealer or basic auto repair shop, and they quote high because those repair shops only offer full battery pack replacement, not repair

It's similar to what happens to a normal vehicle, gets to a certain age, not worth to fix because the owner can't work on a vehicle themselves, so it's clucked. I used to buy super nice cars for $500 that had a blown engine or transmission, and because I used to be a mechanic, I'd put only $800-$1,000 into repairing and detailing the vehicle and sell it for $4k.
    The same is done to Prius and Leaf, you can repair the battery pack and resale the vehicle, if I still was a mechanic, I would be doing that today.

All of those old, beat up Prius are acquired this way, kept running by in-house mechanics that have the packs repaired as cheaply as possible.
    Oh, and most of those Prius you saw are salvage title, guarantee it.

21. Sep 16, 2021 at 8:56 AM
    jpod

jpod its Finally here

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    London Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Cement Grey
    Diamondback HD, 1Up Racks, Yakima Bars, Garbage Weston Steps
    ...with prius mpg's and a 1000 mile range. And plexi between the front and back seats. Soundproof. My kids are brats. lol

22. Sep 16, 2021 at 9:01 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    If you're keeping your vehicles long enough to worry about out of warranty hybrid system repairs, you're not worried about resale value. You can't argue it both ways.

23. Sep 16, 2021 at 9:18 AM
    JuicyJ

JuicyJ New Member

Member:
    WTF?

I can argue it any way I want.

24. Sep 16, 2021 at 9:21 AM
    JuicyJ

JuicyJ New Member

Member:
    I want the 2022 Tundra to inhale the CCP virus and exhale unicorn farts.

I also want the infotainment to play a Stuart Smalley Daily Affirmation for me every time I start the truck up.

Nm6300'asl and jpod like this.
  25. Sep 16, 2021 at 11:58 AM
    matthinkle

matthinkle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794 Hybrid
    I only disagree factually with one thing you said. "Your hybrid will lose almost all of it's value when it's older and the battery pack has an error." Why? Because then all I have is a standard Tundra? You can drive a Prius with a dead battery. Why wouldn't you be able to drive a Tundra? I could understand if you were arguing a tesla would lose all its value once the battery is shot. However, especially if it's an E Assist system, you still have a viable drivetrain.

To me, I think it comes down to two things: the operability of the drivetrain once the batteries die and the lifespan of the batteries. The new batteries are good for 300k to 500k miles. As the potential buyer of the vehicle, do I care that the batteries will be cooked after 400k miles? I don't. I will likely have sold the vehicle long before that.

Do I care that the resale could potentially be lower as a result of being a hybrid model? That depends on the money I've saved by having the hybrid. If my breakeven point is 2 years, and I keep it for 10, then no, probably won't care.

26. Sep 16, 2021 at 12:15 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    At 300K-500K miles on a battery after 15 years of service, that battery doesn’t owe you shit at that point. Additionally that far into the future how much will a replacement battery cost? How much better in every way could that replacement battery be?

Hypothetically you buy a 2022+ Tundra TRD Pro hybrid (assuming such a truck will exist), you love the truck, you plan to keep it long term, so you garage it, keep it clean, do maintenance, use quality replacement parts when things wear out. Then one day 426K miles or 15 years later the battery pack throws a fault and it’s time to replace it. At this point the world of automotive tech has changed, batteries are widely available and exponentially better. Are you going to be mad when you can get a quality replacement battery pack for your Tundra hybrid with double the kilowatt hours of the original for 1/2 the cost? Hell no you won’t be.

COElkHunter and matthinkle like this.
  27. Sep 16, 2021 at 12:39 PM
    ScottsBad

ScottsBad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Free Idaho, escaped Commiefornian
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Limited
    Just a Bed Rug, Soft Topper, Console Safe
    A 5.7L V8

Lockers and seat memory. That's all.

So I'm already unhappy about engine.

28. Sep 16, 2021 at 12:43 PM
    LlamaResistance

LlamaResistance Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Crewmax SR5 TRD Offroad
    MLED Retrofitted Platinum Headlights, Ranch Hand bumper, Firestone airsprings, Leer 100XR Shell, Amp Research Steps
    Yeah so if the truck ingests any virus via the intake they'll come out as truck farts, sorry no unicorns. High pressure and high temp will do that. Given your CCP virus statement though... seriously gonna be that guy huh?

You sound like someone who hasn't done much work on hybrids either. Mostly alarmist comments and FUD. Probably bemoaning the end of a N/A V8 too. Things have to change and hybrids at least mean you get more mileage out of your gas budget and lets not forget that sweet max torque at 0 RPM of an electric motor. You get both with a hybrid.

matthinkle likes this.
  29. Sep 16, 2021 at 1:35 PM
    JuicyJ

JuicyJ New Member

Member:
    Wow, you have me figured out perfectly, and your statements about me are so accurate!

Give yourself not one, but TWO pats on the back!

30. Sep 16, 2021 at 1:47 PM
    matthinkle

matthinkle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 1794 Hybrid
    I'm starting to see why you need the daily affirmations.

Products Discussed in

To Top