1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What could this be?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Muntazir, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Nov 20, 2017 at 11:47 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I would run the dye test before making any big $$ decision. You can monitor the extent of seeping or leaking.
    when was the last time an oil change was done on your truck and how does the dipstick look ?
    As far as trading for new or whatever, this is a much bigger purchase than just getting the issue fixed and go on with your truck and life. I'm sure on the trade a dealer would low ball you for what the cam leak fix would cost you at a dealership.
    I would keep the truck and get the leak fixed. It's not like you blew the transmission and the truck cannot drive.

2. Nov 20, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    Vehicle:
    plus your truck has 95K ish miles. You should have flushed most of the potential issues already.

Wynnded and Muntazir [OP] like this.
  3. Nov 20, 2017 at 12:02 PM
    Muntazir

Muntazir [OP] New Member

Member:
    I called Toyota to see if they could help me out but they couldn't however they did mention that the vehicle has had all recalls done and has a good service history. At this point, I am going to do exactly what you suggested. The last OIL change was done recently by the seller but I am going to get one done just for the peace of my mind. I am also have rear/front differential and transfer case OIL changed. I am also going to drain and replace the ATF.

4. Nov 20, 2017 at 12:30 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    Vehicle:
    yeah fresh oil, drop that dye and drive it. If it leaks it will show with the UV light/yellow goggles then you can tell if it's both sides and where.

4x4_Angel likes this.
  5. Nov 28, 2017 at 11:27 AM
    TruckLife900

TruckLife900 I'd rather B hunting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 White SR5
    I am at Toyota dealership, they're replacing my valve cover gasket (under warranty:thumbsup:)... IMO mine looks like a cam tower leak :argue:but dealer wants 2 do valve cover gasket 1st. Which I guess, I understand... less labor and parts for them.

Afterwards I guess I watch like a hawk and hope that it fixes it. The kicker is, if this doesn't fix the small leak, then I have to make sure I don't drive too many more miles and put myself outta warranty :confused:

6. Nov 28, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    kenomouth64

kenomouth64 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra Sr5 4x4 (TRD Off Road) Crewmax 5.7L
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    To restate what everyone has already made abundantly clear, I am almost certain that this is a Cam Tower leak. It is expensive to get fixed, 3-4k, most likely.

If I were in your shoes I would just not worry about it and add oil if it gets low.

If it makes you feel better, I had a 2000 Toyota 4runner that leaked roughly 7 quarts of oil per oil change (5,000) miles. It gave a whole new meaning to "leaking like a sieve". However I just checked and added oil every few days and the motor lasted to just under 500,000 Miles.

Honestly, just check the oil and add oil to it if it gets low. Toyota recommends 0w-20 or 5w-20 motor oil for the Tundra. There are valid arguments out there for using more viscous oil (thicker), mainly CAFE standards, and engine longevity.

Save yourself some $$$

7. Nov 28, 2017 at 12:20 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    SouthBoundSteve and TheBeast like this.
  8. Nov 28, 2017 at 4:53 PM
    gdiep

gdiep New Member

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    Have them put dye in the oil. You'll know very quickly if its a cam tower leak.

TruckLife900 likes this.
  9. Nov 28, 2017 at 6:57 PM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Seller said he sold under book value. What book and how did he rate condition? Exceptional is like brand new and very few vehicles fall in that category. I am guessing he used NADA which can be way over valued. Best gauge of value is what similar vehicles actually sell for. Something between NADA and KBB is probably real value. I never would never have sold my 2013 for NADA value. I would drive and monitor oil levels before I dumped $3k into it. $3k buys a lot of oil. Not sure of Ct. laws but in Texas you get tax break on trade value. Most likely dealer will catch leak they are pretty thorough when evaluating trades. Clean trades are where they make money. I would try cleaning right before trading and see what you can do. If you can find a 2017 you like there are some great deals right now.

10. Nov 28, 2017 at 9:31 PM
    BakNBlk2014

BakNBlk2014 So Impossibly Black

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Virginia Beach VA
    Vehicle:
    2014 limited cm attitude black 4x
    BDS 4 1/2 Nitto Terra Grappler 35x12.5/18 BW Fender Flares Moto Metal 970 Wheels Leer Tonneau Bed Cover Black Plastidip Grill CF Wrap Interior AJT Shift Knob 35% Tint Weather Tech Mats Toyota Bed Mat AFE Intake
    Hey Sean. I'm 14 CM w 29k miles. So I should def get this checked by late 2018 for warranty coverage? Also I'm bumper to bumper extended for 6yr 90k would that cover this issue as well? If you know. I'm out shipping now but will take a peak in about two weeks at it. Good info on coverage. Appreciate

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  11. Nov 29, 2017 at 7:08 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Just take a look at it. If you want it documtend, just bring it by the dealer for a courtesy inspection. If they find it- you’ll know. If not, it’s still documented. Keep in mind, warranty works pays techs less..I keep one to two tech in my “back pocket” and either tip them with cash, or adult beverages. Take care of those who take care of you if you can find a good one.

12. Nov 29, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    BakNBlk2014

BakNBlk2014 So Impossibly Black

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Virginia Beach VA
    Vehicle:
    2014 limited cm attitude black 4x
    BDS 4 1/2 Nitto Terra Grappler 35x12.5/18 BW Fender Flares Moto Metal 970 Wheels Leer Tonneau Bed Cover Black Plastidip Grill CF Wrap Interior AJT Shift Knob 35% Tint Weather Tech Mats Toyota Bed Mat AFE Intake
    Courtesy inspect. Good idea. Thanks.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  13. Nov 29, 2017 at 2:18 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    Vehicle:
    the way I see it, if you have it get it done asap, don't wait til end of your warranty .So that if it comes back, you still under warranty.

14. Nov 29, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    2011 RCSB 5.7L AWD Tundra
    OEM Upgrades: Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold) Limited Wheels Stubby Antenna Automatic Climate Controls Automatic Headlamp Mod TRD Rear Sway Bar Sequoia Front Sway Bar Sequoia Transfer Case Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Sequoia LED Headlamps Window Tint Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMF Stainless Catback DAP N/A Tune
    I'm pretty certain that Toyota will only fix it once under warranty, but I could be confusing it with the AIP issue. I've read about owners having more than one AIP failure on the same truck, but I can't recall reading of anyone having a warrantied Cam Tower repair fail. I could be mistaken and mixed up though.

15. Jan 11, 2019 at 11:24 AM
    Schoward105

Schoward105 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 White Tundra
    I have a 2012 Tundra (90,000 miles) that has been serviced regularly. Yesterday during a scheduled oil/filter change I was told that the driver side cam tower was beginning to leak. The technician put the truck up and showed me where the leak was....slight dry residue on the heat shield. They said $2,000 to 3,000 to repair it but I'm not inclined to have it done unless I'm convinced that it is worth it...the truck doesn't use any oil between changes. Thanks for any comments!

Stormtrooper81 likes this.
  16. Jan 11, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model Fred Brookes

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD
    Aluminum sideboxes
    Judging from the paranoia reponses and cat fighting in between, it sounds like ‘cam tower’ leak will be a great negotiating tool to knock (at least) $4k off the asking price of a used truck. Buy it and drive away smiling knowing the leak is fake news?

Am I wrong here?

Also, if it looks like an oil leak around the cam tower then what does adding dye to the oil prove? A cam tower leak?

Too simplistic of thinking?

17. Jan 11, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    I would ignore it. Sorry but my first Toyota was a '77 Corolla SR5. If after 100k that's all the oil it as leaking I would have been happy as a pig in mud. The car was great and sold it with over 200k on it. But it did leak oil. The worst was the gaskets in the valve cover for the spark plugs. The thing got so bad that they would fill up with oil. Back then 30k on a set of plugs was about it. You couldn't get most of the oil out from around the plug so it would just go into the cylinders. I would have to turn the engine over with the starter and the plugs out praying oil everywhere to get most of it out of the cylinders. Once I started the engine up I would smoke the whole street out. I would keep a piece of cardboard under it in the garage.

To me that's just not a big enough leak to worry about. I have an old International truck I use for plowing that leaks pretty bad. After a few minutes the oil on the exhaust manifolds starts to burn away. After a few minutes things get hot and it stops. If it bothers you then fix it.

18. Jan 11, 2019 at 4:31 PM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5
    I had a '78 Chevy Bonaza that leaked so bad I bought oil by the case and had to put a quart in every other fill up. Fun truck, straight duals with glasspacks.:burnrubber:

19. Jan 11, 2019 at 6:43 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded Wait, what?

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    2011 RCSB 5.7L AWD Tundra
    OEM Upgrades: Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold) Limited Wheels Stubby Antenna Automatic Climate Controls Automatic Headlamp Mod TRD Rear Sway Bar Sequoia Front Sway Bar Sequoia Transfer Case Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Sequoia LED Headlamps Window Tint Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMF Stainless Catback DAP N/A Tune
    Forty year old vehicles are suppose to leak oil.

20. Jan 11, 2019 at 7:01 PM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra SR5
    That was 30 years ago....:thumbsup:

Wynnded likes this.
  21. Jan 12, 2019 at 4:08 AM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Sure it would be nice if it didn't leak oil but the fact remains that a small oil leak is more of an annoyance than a problem. If it was just a matter of changing out a valve cover gasket then I would most likely do it. But $3k to $4k because of a tiny leak? My point is that small oil leaks in older vehicles are not all that uncommon. I've seen vehicles that look worse just from oil being spilled when doing an oil change. If it was my money it would need to be a lot worse than what that picture shows for me to drop that kind of cash.

kparrow and Wynnded like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top