1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Westin HDX Grille Guard Reviews? And a couple questions...

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by shockinyall, Jun 13, 2017.

?

HDX or $Fab Four$

1. HDX

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Save for the Fab Four

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Jun 13, 2017 at 12:29 PM
    shockinyall

shockinyall [OP] Hillbilly

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR CM
    In Queue...
    So I have been considering bumpers / grille guards. I had a grille guard on my Tacoma that I could definitely understand would be a damage multiplier since the upper mounts basically were asking to be shoved through the radiator if you hit something. However, looking at the Westin HDX , it appears that both the lower mounts and upper mounts are on the frame. (Mounting Instructions) One mount taking up the stock tow hook and the other directly on the bumper mount. This makes me think that it would be a bit more sturdy than the one I had in the past. What do you all think? Especially at $500 and a heavier mounting system it seems like it is starting to compete with a full bumper replacement. :crapstorm:

Also wondering about it affecting the parking sensors. I think since it is in the center of the bumper it shouldn't affect them. The HDX with the winch mount has a little more beefy mounts, but other than that doesn't seem to differ a whole lot.

And if anybody around here has one, how happy are you with it? Main concern is deer. There are way too many around here any more...

[​IMG]

TXRailRoadBandit73 and Jsena like this.
  2. Jun 13, 2017 at 12:31 PM
    dandailey

dandailey King Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan D
    Newport News Va.
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD 4x4 DC Tundra 5.7 Blue Ribbon
    Bakflip Revolver X2 ,Nestahedition Firestalk antenna, TRD dual exhaust, WeatherTech liners, in channel deflectors, 20% tint front, Tundra bed mat.AFE pro dry s filter,SA XDM 3.8 compact 9mm., Wheel to wheel N-Fab 3 steps.Lamin-X yellow on fogs, Bilstein 6112's top setting, BFG KO2's 275/70-18.Pioneer HU, JL RD amp, Focal speakers everywhere.
  3. Jun 13, 2017 at 12:33 PM
    shockinyall

shockinyall [OP] Hillbilly

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR CM
    In Queue...
    Well thanks for the help, lol. This is what I really want, but that means saving up and waiting that much longer at more than 4x the price...

[​IMG]

Jsena and GNTundra like this.
  4. Jun 13, 2017 at 1:58 PM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    It kind of depends on what you want as an end result. I install a lot of HDX's at my shop and they are nice but not nearly as heavy duty as the Fab Four. The HDX mounting hardware is improved but maybe not as stout as the installation instructions would suggest. I'm not sure how many Tundras have front proximity sensors or adaptive cruise control but the HDX will cause problems with those things. The other thing that's difficult to do with an HDX is mounting additional lighting and if you're considering a winch their carrier is decent but I don't know that I'd put that much faith in their mounting brackets. IMO, for basic front end protection the HDX is more than adequate but for anything more off road, heavy duty or winch compatible the Fab Four gets my vote.

5. Jun 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    X2 ^^^
    FAB FOUR from the two you've suggested

6. Jun 13, 2017 at 4:15 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........