1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Waxing and cleaning widows question..

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Tundra234, May 27, 2021.

1. May 27, 2021 at 8:01 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    So I just did the initial wax job on my truck using Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax. It was the only thing in stock at the store, and I have no idea if its any good or how long it will last.

I see that some people use Beadmaker after a wax job. Is beadmaker any good? I also saw a site stating the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax is a better product. There are too many products out there to keep up with. Thoughts?

Also, what do you guys use on your windows to keep them clean and from getting water spots? I have 5% tint and the hot Fl sun against me....

2. May 27, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    19TurdPro

19TurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro
    I use Bar Keepers friend to remove water spots. In the shade, when its cool, and rinse well (it contains a mild acid). Try it on an inconspicuous spot. You won't find anything that works better, cheaper.

3. May 27, 2021 at 9:08 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    I used Rain-X spray on my windows this past weekend after a wash/wax....never again.

They are hazy, fogged up like the mirror in the bathroom when the temp dipped the other morning. It went on like a spray wax, but was nearly impossible to buff off to being acceptably clear without streaks and haze.

I don't have much experience with wax/polishing etc, but used the Meguiars last year and again this year and am happy with it. I follow the directions for the first application of year, spray on and buff off. Next time I'll just wash/spray/rinse, per the directions.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive...easy-use-ceramic-wax-protection-g190526-26-oz

Saltyhero13 likes this.
  4. May 27, 2021 at 9:10 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    I use Megs ultimate as well, black truck. I wax and then top coat with beadmaker and the combo lasts a good while, about 4 months with weekly washing. It keeps my black truck VERY black, stays much cleaner since dirt and bugs do not stick as well and beads water nicely.

Beadmaker is also great as a drying aid so you don't get water spots on a dark truck. Wash the truck as usual, then wet the entire truck, spray on beadmaker all over or on a panel at a time, then rinse with water again. The water will sheet off, then dry and you normally would. Doing this makes it possible to wash a dark color vehicle even in the sun and get a nice clean wash.

I could spend a bunch of $ and time with the many various products out there but what I do works best for me- I am able to keep a black truck looking great with minimal effort and still get good protection. And the products are easy to find and do not cost a fortune.

BravoDeltaRomeo likes this.
  5. May 27, 2021 at 9:12 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    NewImprovedRon and frichco228 like this.
  6. May 27, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    For reference, I washed my truck early this week. Just took this pic. This is after several days of driving normal roads and interstate after rain.jpg and a big rain storm yesterday. Still looking pretty good for black!

7. Jun 8, 2021 at 4:09 PM
    midiwiz

midiwiz New Member

Member:

Here you go, use it inside and out. I use this on all my cars even in Florida. This works, is reusable and leave zero streaks.

Ultimate Cloth - The Best Cleaning Microfiber Cloth on the Market – Ultimate Cloth LLC

Also get yourself some Reload, that works real well at putting a water resistant bond on the windows, as well as the paint. All my vehicles are ceramic coated and then done with reload. I left was far far far behind.

by the way my tint is also ceramic. works far better in Florida

8. Jun 8, 2021 at 4:37 PM
    WILLINH

WILLINH New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BILL
    NEW HAMPTON, NH
    2019 TUNDRA
    I also use meguiars ultimate paste wax May and October and last about 5 months. Very easy to use! I also use griots Best of show spray wax between waxing and it works excellent. I also use griots Best of show Detailer and it gives a great pop but does not last as long as the spray wax. I will be trying Bead Maker this summer.

9. Jun 8, 2021 at 5:53 PM
    AT x AT

AT x AT Trooper Transport

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    State 48 - East Basin of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2021 Wind Chill Pearl Platinum
    Mods, what mods?
    I use Chemical Guys HydroSlick (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V25MZHV/) to wax the Tundra and Highlander.

To keep the shine in between washes, I use Wash Wax ALL (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X04JRMU/). It's a wet or waterless wash/wax product. Really makes the Wind Chill Pearl and Blizzard White sparkly...

For windows, I just use a damp microfiber (from Costco) to clean then apply Rain X https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019CTLW88/), inside and out.

I don't get that much humidity here in Mesa, AZ, but I sure do get the 100°+ summers here. This combo works for both the Toyotas.

The vehicles get washed about every month, unless I take the Tundra off road, then it'll get a wash after playing in the dirt.

jhardy1979 likes this.
  10. Jun 8, 2021 at 6:20 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    McGuire's ultimate carnuba wax, apply liberal coat, let it haze, sprinkle a good bit of corn starch over it all like a powdered sugar donut. Wipe it off with very minimal buffing using a dry terry cloth. Then rinse off the residual dust and dry. No swirl marks and no labor intensive buffing. I wash weekly with McGuire's gold car wash rain or shine. Windows get Sprayaway aerosol glass cleaner. Exterior trim gets starbrite marine vinyl protectant or McGuire's ultimate black depends on the item.

Saltyhero13 likes this.
To Top