1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wax & Detail Rookie

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mjvr2c, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Jul 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM
    mjvr2c

mjvr2c [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD 4.6
    I am NOT interested in Killing Myself. But if it takes X-Time & Effort to do anything... I want the best result for the TIME & EFFORT, without out going BROKE $$$$
    New 2016 Tundra, SR5 TRD, Dbl Cab, Barcalona Red, Beautiful.
    What ought I do, and/or do first?
    1. Paint?
    2. Chrome Trim?
    3. Black Trim & Matching Tonneau Cover
    4. INTERIOR Black Dashboard
    5. TRD Rims.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Jul 8, 2016 at 12:33 PM
    Law323

Law323 Pray for peace, prepare for war

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    3" Rough Country Level lift (front) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae Upcoming: LED backup lights/cargo lights OEM Backup camera Raceline Raptor? 18x9 wheels ICI magnum step bars TRD sway bar Toytec BOSS 3" suspension lift Trifold or roll up tonneau cover Tow mirrors????
    I'm not a pro by any means, but I do like to keep my truck clean. I've found this works best for me.
    Park in a shady area preferably on concrete (grass gets everywhere)
    1. Detail the inside first since you'll get nice and sweaty after hitting the outside)
    2. Do one section at a time I do : (1) roof and bed (tonneau for you) (2) front and hood (3) right front fender (4) right front and back doors (5) bed fender (6) tailgate until I get to the left front fender and wheels last. Keeps you from having to track mud and/or dirt anywhere. Hope this helps buddy!

3. Jul 8, 2016 at 12:41 PM
    mjvr2c

mjvr2c [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD 4.6
    Great Methodology! I appreciate this. But now, PRODUCTS? What do you think of the following tip I've found: Waxing is the most important thing you can do to protect your car’s paint and an absolute “must” if you have just used a polish or cleaner. We suggest a carnauba wax or a paint sealant. Carnauba car wax produces a deep, healthy shine that you can’t attain with a sealant, but only has the longevity of eight to twelve weeks. Paint sealants give you longer lasting protection and will not melt, wash off or wear away for about six months. If you have the time and money, use a paint sealant like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and then wax with a product like P21S Concours Carnauba Car Wax

4. Jul 8, 2016 at 12:50 PM
    Law323

Law323 Pray for peace, prepare for war

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    3" Rough Country Level lift (front) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae Upcoming: LED backup lights/cargo lights OEM Backup camera Raceline Raptor? 18x9 wheels ICI magnum step bars TRD sway bar Toytec BOSS 3" suspension lift Trifold or roll up tonneau cover Tow mirrors????
    Honestly, I don't use all the fancy stuff. I LOVE clay erasers, and will use carnauba wax sometimes but for the most part, I use turtle wax (the kind you have to put on and buff off) twice a year and spray on wax every other wash (same brand..turtle wax)
    As for the paint sealant, your paint is already sealed with a clear coat so "paint sealant" is just a fancy name for saying "give me your money for no reason". Take it from me, don't break your wallet for the crap they put out there when you can get just as good products from Wally World for a fraction of the price.

robie56, RowdyRon and CaptTyler like this.
  5. Jul 9, 2016 at 4:40 AM
    astro-jason

astro-jason New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 super white/black 5.7 4x4 sr5 with sr5 upgrade package
    For the least amount of time and effort, I would recommend Adams polishes. Seeing how the truck is new you shouldn't have any issues. For the exterior I would use H2O Guard and Gloss, spray it on as you dry the truck, it protects all the exterior plastic, glass, chrome and no worries about white residue. For the interior I would recommend their interior detailer it cleans and protects and doesn't leave a glossy greasy mess, its a nice mat finish. That will get you started check out their web site.

-Jason

6. Jul 9, 2016 at 7:48 AM
    driverdog

driverdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno pro
    Nerf step bars spray in bed liners window tint integrated brake controller
    There are debates as to which method is better...paint sealant or Canauba waxes. I don't wish to go down that road and am not qualified to do so. I've read that one can put a sealant down as a base and then use a Caranuba wax over it. I don't know.

From what I read I believe you can't go wrong with either as long as you enjoy applying and staying a course of action. Do not let cleaning intervals between using either get to long. Keeping the finish clean and using a sealer/ wax of your choice I think is key to keeping the paint finish looking good for many years.

I have no experience in the new sealants but continue to read up on them. I do have a lifelong experience using Canuaba based waxes so can comment on that. I have not had any issues with paint failing whether it be single stage or with base coat/clear Coates.

But then again I enjoy taking time to wash/ clean and wax my truck so I look forward to doing it frequently. It sometimes is a social thing where my neighbors come over to chat and sometimes my wife grabs a chair to be part of it. When I clean really early or late in the day I am by myself so that tends to be my time.
    In the end the truck and car looks like they've been professionally detailed and I like the the smell of wax.

I need to get a life I know, lol.

I recently bought some of Chemical guys wash and wax products. As soon as they came in I washed the truck and used the 3XXX paste wax. I finished as it got dark so I appologize for the bad pictures.

Then last night I did the wife's car using the wash product and Chemical guys butter wax. Both products did indeed have a wet look and the Z has a deep rich shine. It is an '03 driven daily and parked in the sun.
    Have fun with whatever you choose!
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Wvmoonshiner likes this.
  7. Jul 9, 2016 at 8:32 AM
    RowdyRon

RowdyRon Not too old to play

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Looks like you are doing something right, Jim!

driverdog likes this.
  8. Jul 9, 2016 at 8:45 AM
    Inferno16

Inferno16 New Member

Member:
    Being in Texas and Hot as Heck during the summer, I've been using this product for years. Very easy to apply and to remove, and won't break your back. I do this once every 2 weeks. As for interior, I just use good ole damp towel as to not damage tint and other plastic components.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUEirOEyaw

And everything else you need to know about detailin your car/truck.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/chemicalGuys

bandit and driverdog like this.
  9. Jul 9, 2016 at 8:48 AM
    Inferno16

Inferno16 New Member

Member:
    I've been using Chem guys on my 305Z, Subaru STI, Tundra, Pilot, CLK 500 and my 76 Nova. Best product!

driverdog likes this.
  10. Jul 9, 2016 at 9:34 AM
    driverdog

driverdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno pro
    Inferno16,

I like the suds gun but wonder if someone makes one for a garden hose vs this one that needs a power washer? I do own a power washer but would rather not have to haul it out. I like the lather the video shows.

Thanks RowdyRon,
    I keep learning new things from sites like this and believe there can be more than one path that leads to good results. I'm comfortable with products I'm using but will be sure to try other products too. Astro-Jason is passionate about Adam's products so at some point I'll get something from them. I regret I only have two vehicles to detail!

11. Jul 9, 2016 at 3:30 PM
    WarEagleSteve

WarEagleSteve Getting out of Jersey!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tundra Crew Max SR5/Off Road
    So, do you want to talk about nano coatings? LOL!

driverdog likes this.
  12. Jul 9, 2016 at 5:01 PM
    driverdog

driverdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno pro
    Sure! I had to google what it was. Do you use and if so who's do you use and is it a good value?
    There is lot of info covering different Nano products.

13. Jul 9, 2016 at 5:18 PM
    WarEagleSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    On my Tundra, I have the CQuartz Finest. That is a coating that is installed by a professional. On my wife's car, I bought a consumer version coating, Opti Coat 2.0. That one I did myself.
    For the most part, all I do is foam canon soak, let it dwell, rinse with pressure washer, and dry. That's it. In cases where the vehicles are really dirty, I will do the above, up to the dwell, then a two bucket wash. Rinse then blow dry.
    On my wife's car, the coating has been on it over two years and protects like it was done last week. My Tundra was done last year and is still going strong. No waxing or sealing needed. Now it won't feel as slick as wax but is, in my case,what I wanted.
    Twice a year, I'll do a decon treatment. In that case, I wash with Car Pros Snow Foam then spray on TRIX or IronX. The sprays remove unseen ferrous metals embedded into the finish. I work right next to the NorthEast corridor, the main rail way between D.C. and Boston so trains run 24/7. The rail fallout is the issue.
    Sometimes, I do a Rinseless wash. That's for another topic...LOL..
    Coatings allow, for me, ease of maintaining and offering great protection. With that said, they are not impervious and can be damaged but offer more protection. Great thing is you don't have to wax or seal but some do.

driverdog likes this.
  14. Jul 9, 2016 at 5:59 PM
    driverdog

driverdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno pro
    Thanks Steve,

Good write up.

I have a lot of reading to do.

15. Jul 9, 2016 at 6:02 PM
    WarEagleSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    You bet Jim. Let me know if you have any other questions. When I retire next year and move out of Jersey, I'm looking to do auto corrections and detailing next.

driverdog likes this.
  16. Jul 10, 2016 at 7:59 AM
    WarEagleSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    Mike,

Sorry to Hijack thread. I do wheels first then top of truck down, as Law outlined. I'm hardcore when it comes to detailing. I use mostly Car Pro products, along with Scholl, AutoFinesse, and Meg's.

As others have stated Megs(Meguiars) is easy to find anywhere and make various lines of products...all very good. I would suggest looking at the NXT 2.0 sealant while your considering your LSP...Last step protection.

driverdog likes this.
  17. Jul 10, 2016 at 5:10 PM
    WarEagleSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    Sorry, forgot to also mention....I use a seperate bucket and washing mitts/brushes on wheels and tires.

18. Jul 10, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    owslystnly

owslystnly New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 SR5 Crewmax w/ SR5 upgrade+TRD Offroad
    Nothing yet
    driverdog likes this.
  19. Jul 10, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    WarEagleSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    LOL...sent that to another member. Reece and the guys are good people.

20. Jul 14, 2016 at 10:05 AM
    Wilbur

Wilbur New Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2014 Magnetic Grey Tundra SR5
    owslystnly likes this.
  21. Jul 14, 2016 at 10:09 AM
    bandit

bandit New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Supercharged Mazzulla Long Travel Rock Warrior
    Duh Tundra

+1 for these guys! Did a commercial for them with the bikes in the LA river, got em filthy and I was seriously impressed with this stuff. Been using it since!

To Top