1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wax & Detail Rookie

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mjvr2c, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Jul 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM
    mjvr2c

mjvr2c [OP] Going Places!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Elizabethtown PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD 4.6
    Accessorized NOT Modified: Raptor Running Boards, Extang EnCore Tonneau Cover, LineX Spray-In Bed Liner, EGR Hood/Bug Deflector & Window Vents, Husky Rubber All-Weather Floor Matts.
    I am NOT interested in Killing Myself. But if it takes X-Time & Effort to do anything... I want the best result for the TIME & EFFORT, without out going BROKE $$$$
    New 2016 Tundra, SR5 TRD, Dbl Cab, Barcalona Red, Beautiful.
    What ought I do, and/or do first?
    1. Paint?
    2. Chrome Trim?
    3. Black Trim & Matching Tonneau Cover
    4. INTERIOR Black Dashboard
    5. TRD Rims.
    Thank you in advance.

2. Jul 8, 2016 at 12:33 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    I'm not a pro by any means, but I do like to keep my truck clean. I've found this works best for me.
    Park in a shady area preferably on concrete (grass gets everywhere)
    1. Detail the inside first since you'll get nice and sweaty after hitting the outside)
    2. Do one section at a time I do : (1) roof and bed (tonneau for you) (2) front and hood (3) right front fender (4) right front and back doors (5) bed fender (6) tailgate until I get to the left front fender and wheels last. Keeps you from having to track mud and/or dirt anywhere. Hope this helps buddy!

3. Jul 8, 2016 at 12:41 PM
    mjvr2c

mjvr2c [OP] Going Places!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Elizabethtown PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD 4.6
    Accessorized NOT Modified: Raptor Running Boards, Extang EnCore Tonneau Cover, LineX Spray-In Bed Liner, EGR Hood/Bug Deflector & Window Vents, Husky Rubber All-Weather Floor Matts.
    Great Methodology! I appreciate this. But now, PRODUCTS? What do you think of the following tip I've found: Waxing is the most important thing you can do to protect your car’s paint and an absolute “must” if you have just used a polish or cleaner. We suggest a carnauba wax or a paint sealant. Carnauba car wax produces a deep, healthy shine that you can’t attain with a sealant, but only has the longevity of eight to twelve weeks. Paint sealants give you longer lasting protection and will not melt, wash off or wear away for about six months. If you have the time and money, use a paint sealant like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and then wax with a product like P21S Concours Carnauba Car Wax

4. Jul 8, 2016 at 12:50 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Honestly, I don't use all the fancy stuff. I LOVE clay erasers, and will use carnauba wax sometimes but for the most part, I use turtle wax (the kind you have to put on and buff off) twice a year and spray on wax every other wash (same brand..turtle wax)
    As for the paint sealant, your paint is already sealed with a clear coat so "paint sealant" is just a fancy name for saying "give me your money for no reason". Take it from me, don't break your wallet for the crap they put out there when you can get just as good products from Wally World for a fraction of the price.

robie56, NewImprovedRon and CaptTyler like this.
  5. Jul 9, 2016 at 4:40 AM
    astro-jason

astro-jason New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 CHEVROLET 3500 CC L/B Duramax 10spd
    For the least amount of time and effort, I would recommend Adams polishes. Seeing how the truck is new you shouldn't have any issues. For the exterior I would use H2O Guard and Gloss, spray it on as you dry the truck, it protects all the exterior plastic, glass, chrome and no worries about white residue. For the interior I would recommend their interior detailer it cleans and protects and doesn't leave a glossy greasy mess, its a nice mat finish. That will get you started check out their web site.

-Jason

6. Jul 9, 2016 at 8:45 AM
    Inferno16

Inferno16 New Member

Member:
    Being in Texas and Hot as Heck during the summer, I've been using this product for years. Very easy to apply and to remove, and won't break your back. I do this once every 2 weeks. As for interior, I just use good ole damp towel as to not damage tint and other plastic components.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUEirOEyaw

And everything else you need to know about detailin your car/truck.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/chemicalGuys

bandit and driverdog like this.
  7. Jul 9, 2016 at 8:48 AM
    Inferno16

Inferno16 New Member

Member:
    I've been using Chem guys on my 305Z, Subaru STI, Tundra, Pilot, CLK 500 and my 76 Nova. Best product!

driverdog likes this.
  8. Jul 10, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    owslystnly

owslystnly New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 SR5 Crewmax w/ SR5 upgrade+TRD Offroad
    Nothing yet
    driverdog likes this.
  9. Jul 14, 2016 at 10:05 AM
    Wilbur

Wilbur New Member

Member:
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM
    owslystnly[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 14, 2016 at 10:09 AM
    bandit

bandit New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Supercharged Mazzulla Long Travel Rock Warrior
    Duh Tundra

+1 for these guys! Did a commercial for them with the bikes in the LA river, got em filthy and I was seriously impressed with this stuff. Been using it since!

Abrams65 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top