1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water splashes on windshield

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Paco_the_Priest, May 7, 2021.

1. May 7, 2021 at 1:06 PM
    Paco_the_Priest

Paco_the_Priest [OP] New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White 1794
    Hi all, I am a relatively new truck owner; my previous vehicle was a 1998 Volvo. Now in that old car, I could hit puddles and it would throw the water to the side, never splashing the windshield. On my 2020 Tundra however, hitting a puddle results in seemingly all the water deposited on my windshield, temporarily blinding me. Is this common to all trucks? Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a remedy other than crawling through puddles?

TNCountrygal likes this.
  2. May 7, 2021 at 1:12 PM
    Saltyhero13

Saltyhero13 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Fuel delete mod Cup holder upgrade
    Name your truck "Moses" and you'll have no issues!...

...next question!

You can try a window sealant/coating. It wont prevent the water splashing but it will roll off quicker.

3. May 7, 2021 at 1:39 PM
    Paco_the_Priest

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White 1794
    @Saltyhero13 does your truck throw water up onto your windshield? Seems crazy that it won’t just throw it to the side….

4. May 7, 2021 at 1:43 PM
    TXTundra2722

TXTundra2722 Pipe Hitters Union

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    Mine does the same and I'm on 37s.....I just expect it now when I hit puddles

Black Wolf likes this.
  5. May 7, 2021 at 1:46 PM
    Dalandshark

Dalandshark Infected with 5G

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7 Longbed
    Eibach Level LIft
    I live in WA and don’t seem to have this problem on any truck.

Try a bug deflector or Lift.

And if those or the rainx doesn’t help, try drifting through them sideways.

Midnite72, panicman, Geo4x4 and 3 others like this.
  6. May 7, 2021 at 4:18 PM
    Camprunner

Camprunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 trd sport
    None
    Oh yeah, I noticed this the first day driving my new truck. It did it with stock tires and the Ko2’s.
    It shoots the water forward and up , thus you run into that wave with the windshield. 30 to 40 mph. Standing water 2” or more or pot holes. It is especially annoying when the water is mixed with mud. only cure that I know is to go slower or faster and keep your hand on the wiper lever. This is the only vehicle , and I have had many, that does this.

7. May 7, 2021 at 4:32 PM
    mountainpete

mountainpete Explore more

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
    Edited because I’m wrong.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    Black Wolf likes this.
  8. May 7, 2021 at 4:32 PM
    Saltyhero13

Member:
    I try and slow down in this situation so I haven't had this happen to me yet.

Black Wolf likes this.
  9. May 7, 2021 at 4:54 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Same here. Never with my 07 or 14. Why do I think going too fast for the conditions is involved?

Saltyhero13[QUOTED] and RobertD like this.
  10. May 7, 2021 at 5:05 PM
    Paco_the_Priest

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White 1794
    @mountainpete I do have some flaps in front of the front wheels. I’ll take pictures when I get a chance. The truck has stock tires, wheels, and no lift or level.

@Black Wolf no significant speed is involved. With a bit of water ponded by the curb and hitting it at 20mph I see it curling up the right side of the hood.

It just seems crazy to me that a stock vehicle would do this. It’s a legitimate safety concern IMO.

mountainpete and Black Wolf like this.
  11. May 7, 2021 at 5:07 PM
    blackoutt

blackoutt YEAH BUDDY!

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Long Bed - Old Man Tan
    OEM+
    You could always return it. I'm sure they'll give you your money back in this market!

12. May 7, 2021 at 5:28 PM
    Djone27

Djone27 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Crewmax TSS 4x4
    HID Headlights, full LEDs, TRD front and rear sway bars, CB +2s, Eibach Stage 2s, SABM w/ pro intake tube
    @Paco_the_Priest - Had this issue with my '10 DC and my current '17 CM. Any speed over a crawl and you get blinded by a wave of water. My friend had the same issue in his 4 Runner (dont remember the year ~2015).

13. May 7, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    4WDWalrus

4WDWalrus New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The Silver Walrus
    TRD shift knob OEM Fender Flares Truxedo Pro X15
    I had the same issue when going over a puddle. It's kind of scary cause you cannot see anything for a few seconds.

I put on the accessory OEM style fender flares and that solved the problem completely, while also keeping the sides clean.

14. May 7, 2021 at 5:42 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Sorry, but a "legitimate safety concern" is a bit much IMHO. The only time that situation happens to me is when someone is driving too fast for wet conditions and throws water up onto my truck and if I didn't have my window up, I'd have water in my cab. We get heavy rains here this time of year in the afternoon and folks simply do not slow down. Streets don't drain water fast enough. Not disputing anything but I haven't seen any posts here for almost 7 years, until today, or other sources out there to even remotely consider this to rise up the the level to be a safety concern. :notsure:

I've never ever had a puddle throw water up on my Tundra hood or windshield bad enough to blind me. (Unless going a bit too fast off the road in muddy/wet conditions or hitting a shallow stream too fast). If truly worried, I guess a complaint could be filed with Yota corporate to address the "safety" issue although the odds of getting the tranny cooler issue corrected first is a bit lower and that is not ever going anywhere either as in Slim and None and Slim left town.......

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  15. May 7, 2021 at 6:45 PM
    Camprunner

Camprunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 trd sport
    None
    Yeah man! How do I find these flares? They do not look too intrusive as other that I have seen. If they work as you say, I will get a set..the wife hates that windshield splash too. I have the front flappy things and they do not do squat!

16. May 7, 2021 at 7:33 PM
    Paco_the_Priest

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White 1794
    @Black Wolf regarding a safety concern I see so much concern about dim blinkers, floor mats, and other things so I felt this would also qualify. I don’t drive crazy and I tell you I could take puddles in my old Volvo much faster with no water thrown on my windshield. When I first hit a puddle with the Tundra I was completely stunned by the huge wash on the windshield and frantically try to hit the wipers. I also assumed the truck would do better in such conditions since it sits higher. Anyhow, in my book it is a safety concern and something I feel I need to warn people about when they borrow the truck.

@4WDWalrus very interested to hear those minimal fender flares make such a difference. My truck doesn’t have those. How much did they cost you and how do they attach? If they really solve this issue, I would definitely consider installing them.

Glad to hear that several others are also surprised by the tidal wave the Tundra throws on the windshield!

17. May 7, 2021 at 7:45 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    It’s the front tire throwing the water forward, and then you driving through it.

18. May 8, 2021 at 4:17 AM
    4WDWalrus

4WDWalrus New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The Silver Walrus
    TRD shift knob OEM Fender Flares Truxedo Pro X15
    The ones I bought were from Sparks Toyota https://www.sparksparts.com/p-oe-style-fender-flares-0001634047. (There is a Sparks Toyota discount code here in the forum. "TundraDude34" to save 5%.

They are a little expensive, but are painted and genuine dealer accessories and come with all the hardware and instructions. It is installed by removing the existing fender liner screws and replaced with brackets and longer screws. The rubber that meets the fender just sits on the surface by pressure. I also put clear protection under it before install, so if decide to remove it does not leave a mark. You can do that if you are OCD like me.

These flares are distributed by Bushwacker, so if the factory ones are too expensive, they make other versions that are unpainted.

For me, it eliminated the splash to windshield completely. I was surprised when I first got the truck, the water blinded the windshield so easily. They were small puddles and driving safe speeds. Some say you just slow down, not if there is someone right behind you or in the freeway. Now I've driven thru rainstorms and lots of time deliberately going over standing water and not longer have the issue

Camprunner[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. May 8, 2021 at 5:07 AM
    Paco_the_Priest

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White 1794
    @4WDWalrus Thanks so much for the information. It’s interesting that this completely solved the issue if the mechanism is the water being thrown forward and up and then driving into it. Do you feel confident that the flares were the solution? Did you by chance make any other mods to your truck around the same time? I would love to see some slow motion footage of driving through a puddle in order to determine exactly what is happening…

Thanks again for providing your solution to my problem!

4WDWalrus and Camprunner like this.
  20. May 8, 2021 at 5:09 AM
    Funnyguy713

Funnyguy713 I can't get Jiggy with this Sh!t

Member:
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 1794 4x4
    35s on 20s with 6" Pro Comp
    I like it when the water splashes into my sunroof. That's my favorite, I may need to start keeping a towel in my truck :crapstorm:

Leo's first likes this.
  21. May 8, 2021 at 5:12 AM
    Camprunner

Camprunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 trd sport
    None
    No magnetic gray color on these? dag nab it

22. May 8, 2021 at 8:30 AM
    Saltyhero13

Member:
    I tried recreating this last night during the rain, the only way I could get the water to sling is by barreling through some deeper water at speeds above 40.

You can see the slinging behavior happening here in this guys review, around the 18 minute mark:
    https://youtu.be/IaOWZo_VRNg

This is one of those argument threads where positions will vary by everyone's own personal safety threshold. I don't off road a whole lot but when I do cross water hazards its at lower speeds especially when I don't know how deep the water is and what is beneath the surface.

In situations where I'm surrounded by other vehicles I don't think its cool to sling crap over other peoples vehicles if it is avoidable, whether its cars on the side of the road, oncoming traffic, or cars on a highway. So in my book I'll slow down for consideration of other drivers if its possible.

GODZILLA, Oey12, g6t9ed and 2 others like this.
  23. May 8, 2021 at 8:39 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Yep, I still believe speed is a big factor. I find it a bit odd that after 17 years since the 07 came out and this forum being 7ish years old.........as of yesterday we now have a safety issue of a tidal wave of water hitting the windshield when going thru puddles endangering all of us. Get real. LOL

Y0TA PR0 and Saltyhero13[QUOTED] like this.
  24. May 8, 2021 at 8:50 AM
    Saltyhero13

Member:
    I'm with you. I'm a speed demon at heart but the risk of hydroplaning in a heavy vehicle does not sound fun either.:notsure:

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. May 8, 2021 at 9:11 AM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    I’ve had water go up to my windshield going thru puddles with all the trucks I’ve owned, cause I like to pin it thru puddles :D
    I agree with you Matt. safety concern? If only we had windshield wipers to wipe the water off the windshield :monocle:

26. May 8, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Pinning it thru puddles can be fun! Yep windshield wipers come in handy.

Y0TA PR0[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. May 8, 2021 at 10:46 AM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    I live in one of the rainiest places on the planet, and it’s not uncommon on the rural roads around me for farmland to flood out onto the roads, and when I get into Portland, invariably a gutter system here or there will be bound up or overwhelmed and there will be 6-8” flooded roads and parking lots.

I don’t observe that the water hitting the windshield in great abundance occurs any more with this truck than it did my Camry, Jetta, Volvo, Trooper, Accord(s), Pilot(s), or Tahoe.

Typically, this happens at night, when I unexpectedly come across a flooded spot and don’t see it/register it in time to slow down.

If I know the road well, sometimes I’ll zoom through the puddle for fun, and I don’t seem to remember this causing a huge surge of water to my windshield.

I also don’t like the Rain-X type products at all. I just keep the windshield clean with glass cleaner and I wipe the blades clean with alcohol.

Black Wolf, Saltyhero13 and 15whtrd like this.
  28. May 8, 2021 at 12:27 PM
    Paco_the_Priest

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White 1794
    @Saltyhero13 I checked out the video and I would have to say the splashing I encounter is much greater than what he encountered. Interestingly it didn’t appear that the TRD Pro he was driving had the fender flares 4WDWalrus indicated solved his issue. From what I see, most Tundras have some sort of fender flare on them. Perhaps that’s the reason most folks don’t seem to have experienced the problem? By chance does your truck have fender flares? Didn’t mean to derail the conversation with mentioning it as a safety concern…

29. May 8, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Most Tundra's don't have fender flares. Had them on my 07. Aftermarket flares. They come in various widths depending on need. My 14 is sans flares. Tires don't stick out enough to warrant them. They are great when your tire "tread" sticks out past the fenders to keep from throwing rocks and mud on the sides of the truck. They won't be much help at all with stock wheel/tires because they are still tucked inside the fenders. Definitely won't help much at all with water hitting your windshield...o_O

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    GODZILLA and 15whtrd like this.
  30. May 8, 2021 at 12:43 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I lived south of Eugene, Orygun for 13 years. Quite wet there too. Ha! We used to blast thru muddy logging roads all the time and of course you get water and mud everywhere. Freeway conditions could suck at times when it was raining hard, especially behind a big ass chip or log truck. Wipers would barely be of any help at all...heh....heh...my mom would totally freak out at first when I was kid. She got used to it.

panicman[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top