1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water in charcoal canister

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Mailman, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Jul 1, 2016 at 8:32 PM
    Mailman

Mailman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2011 magnetic grey metallic TEXAS EDITION
    None
    I bought a 2011 Tundra last week from a dealer. The chk engine light came on while test driving it. Salesman said they'd take care of it, as it may only be the gas cap. Well, they replaced a sensor, I drove it a few days and light came on again. Took it back today, shop called to say there is water in the charcoal canister, and repairs run around $1,000 or so. I said not on my dime, as you told me it would be taken care of. As of this evening the salesman and service dept were trying to decide the best way to handle this. How does water get in there, and has this happened to you? What would be the result of letting this problem go? I'm not paying another K to repair a truck I just purchased.

2. Jul 1, 2016 at 9:57 PM
    BlueFalconActual

BlueFalconActual Field Day Inspector Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    29 Palms, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra-less
    Was it water or fuel? Fuel can get in there by topping off your fuel tank which ruins it.
    My charcoal canister had a crack in it from the factory which tripped a CEL driving home from the dealership. They paid for the repairs obviously but it's crazy that a box of charcoal costs that much to repair.

3. Jul 2, 2016 at 2:28 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    I've got the same problem. I have a buddy with a 07 and he had it too. There's a TSB on it, but not sure which year Tundras there fixing with no cost to customers. Me personally, I am gonna do what my buddy did, and that was calling Toyota and asking them is this my fault that I have water intrusion, no its not. It's supposedly an emissions thing and won't effect the truck mechanically, but with the eng light on constantly how do you know there's not some other issue present. I guess you could check it periodically. My buddies canister was replaced at no cost, so I will be negotiating with them to fix it. If they don't then I will try a different route. It's due to poor design. I read where Toyota was saying some of the problem was due to the fact customers were over filling @ the pump and that was causing the problem.BS! Good luck

4. Jul 2, 2016 at 2:42 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I never over fuel at the pump. I heard that can screw with the fuel line down the road? I just fuel it until it clicks and call it a day.

Now car rentals ...different story

5. Jul 2, 2016 at 2:54 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Yeah Sean exactly. Hey look for a package, mailed the koozies out the other day. Salute

6. Jul 2, 2016 at 3:28 PM
    Mailman

Mailman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    None
    I talked to the service dept today. The sensor they replaced last week was part of a recall several years ago. The canister problem is covered under the 30-day warranty. Yippee for me. I asked about what a bad charcoal canister would do to the engine, and he said it wouldn't do anything. Just an annoying indicator that would stay on. Parts will be in next week.

Black Wolf likes this.
  7. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:02 AM
    Mailman

Mailman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    None
    Took the truck in for the warranty work yesterday. They replaced the charcoal canister and the filler neck. Hopefully, that's a dead issue.

rons23 and Black Wolf like this.
  8. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:26 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Glad you got it taken care. You've got a good dealer. :mudding:

9. Jul 13, 2016 at 8:10 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Glad you were taken care of. Lexus IS300's had this problem really bad. Most of it was from overfilling at the pump. I do the same as Sean, fill to the click and that is it.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  10. Jul 13, 2016 at 5:12 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    That's great news, cool beans

11. Jul 15, 2016 at 6:37 AM
    Mailman

Mailman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    None
    I asked as to how water could get into the canister. Shop guy said usually it's due to going mudding in the truck, and it's usually the young guys. He said they'll swear it's not their fault, but a quick look underneath will confirm it. I'm 59, so they don't have to worry about me messing up my truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top