1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Washboard Frontend Vibration 60km/hr + Fox 2.5

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Uncle O, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Aug 9, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    Uncle O

Uncle O [OP] Life is Good

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    295 / 70 / 17 Wrangler Duratracs Method 702 Camburg UCA Fox 2.5 Remote x 4 Icon RXT leaf pack Rigid lighting
    Howdy All,

So, I’ve got a nasty front end vibration that ONLY shows up on washboard roads at or above 60km/hr. Aside from this vibration I’m very happy with the ride quality and set up. On road, everything feels tight and well balanced. Even off road, when not hitting washboards, everything feels smooth.

To diagnose / fix the vibration I’ve tried:

*air down 24psi
    *softened compression dampening
    *4x4 or not, on the gas or not.

What I’m running up front :

*Camburg UCA
    *Fox 2.5 remote adj.
    *1” diff drop

To anyone that has some potential suggestions or feedback I’d love to hear it. I’m worried the 1” diff drop may have angled the diff support bushings to the point that they are metal on metal. Upon support bushing investigation there is still a bit of bushing protection but definitely a much steeper angle and only a few MM between metal surfaces. :eek:

***How do I find and get rid of this vibration?
    ***Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading. :)

831Tun likes this.
  2. Aug 9, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    Did you put the spacers on the screws for the skid plate to give room for the diff drop?

Uncle O[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 9, 2019 at 11:47 PM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    295 / 70 / 17 Wrangler Duratracs Method 702 Camburg UCA Fox 2.5 Remote x 4 Icon RXT leaf pack Rigid lighting
    Yes sir I did, good call tho. That would definitely do it.

Rica25 likes this.
  4. Aug 9, 2019 at 11:53 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Mine did that also. Think it’s just the nature of the beast, my buddies with various different set ups get it also. Gotta go slower, or :devil: faster.

5. Aug 10, 2019 at 12:07 AM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    Glad and sorry to hear I’m not alone. I might experiment with slightly less nitrogen in the resi and potentially a little less preload this weekend. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Rica25 likes this.
  6. Aug 10, 2019 at 6:39 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie
    IG: PLC721
    Same issue with Kings, TC Arms, and Toyo MT

Uncle O[OP] likes this.
  7. Aug 10, 2019 at 7:48 AM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    Really eh, so I’m not alone and this is not specific to a certain brand. Good to know.
    How much lift are you running in the front? (Center hub to fender)

Rica25 likes this.
  8. Aug 10, 2019 at 1:31 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie
    IG: PLC721
    About 2.5" of lift so it's plenty plush when it needs to be but yeah. Not a lot can be done for washboard roads unfortunately

Rica25 and Uncle O[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  9. Aug 10, 2019 at 2:46 PM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. If I find anything that does help with the washboards I’ll be sure to post it here. :thumbsup:

Rica25 likes this.
  10. Aug 11, 2019 at 7:02 PM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    After another quick test run on washboards the vibration is feeling more like it’s coming through the steering rack / column. My front end is currently sitting about 5” over stock.
    I definitely want it closer to 3.5” and hope to drop it down this week.

Any chance the 5” front lift is affecting the steering rack / column and causing this loud vibration ? Everything else about the front end feels very tight and is new.

11. Aug 11, 2019 at 9:27 PM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    More like 4” over stock on the front end. Still want to drop it another 0.5”.
    I was able to quiet the vibration noise by resting my left foot against the steering column with a bit of forward and down pressure while driving. o_O
    The plot thickens.

12. Aug 11, 2019 at 9:56 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    You're just not going fast enough. :D There is a growling noise that occurs on washboard, I've never been able to eliminate that noise, except by turning up the stereo, but the truck is very smooth suspension wise.

13. Aug 12, 2019 at 7:30 AM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    I appreciate you joining the conversation. Definitely went fast enough yesterday and it only got worse. (120 km/hr) :eek:

I took some video of the noise yesterday as well. Curious what others are hearing because the noise I’m getting is far beyond the “normal” washboard hmmm / vibration.
    Sounds like something is about to let go in the steering column.
    I’m really hoping that’s not the sound that all others are living with. :fingerscrossed:

831Tun[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Aug 12, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    I think you're in the right area (at least as far as the noise I'm familiar with), rack, half shaft, rack bushings......? I haven't made the switch to poly rack bushings yet.

joonbug and Uncle O[OP] like this.
  15. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    Thanks for the reply. To clarify, do you mean that you think I’m looking in the right area for the vibration or that my description of the sound is the same sound yourself and others have?

The truck is brand new with 1200km on it so nothing is worn out yet, and it still has stock rack bushings.
    My mind is definitely going down the same parts list as you’ve mentioned.
    Would love to post a video on here but iPhone video file wasn’t accepting media.
    How are others posting video, YouTube and link it? Thanks again. :thumbsup:

16. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    Here’s a video link: :)
    https://youtu.be/X7_PlYucvYU

17. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:13 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    Yes, post vids via Utube.
    Yes, I believe you have the right idea about where the growl is emanating from and I don't believe it's due to worn parts.
    Maybe the "big guns" can shed some light on this, @KevinK , @papasmurf , @osidepunker

GodlessPro, joonbug and Uncle O[OP] like this.
  18. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:15 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    Yep, same noise.

GodlessPro, joonbug and Uncle O[OP] like this.
  19. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:16 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    Are you airing down? Seems deflating the tires helps a bit.
    NVM, I see in the first post that you're running 24 psi. I blame it on not having my coffee yet.

20. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:22 AM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    Damn! :rofl:Wanting to have a problem and not at the same time. :rofl:

So, I’ve aired down to 20psi, I’ve softened and stiffened dampening in both directions and I’m going to try taking away a bit of preload / front end lift and re-align this week.
    I’m surprised that this sound is the norm for us Tundra folk.
    Thanks for your time and feedback man.

21. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:36 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    I had some nasty noises on washboard and dug into the dash to see what it was. There was so much stuff bouncing around in there. I zip tied wires, put foam on the top of the ducts between the speaker wires, and used some sound deadening to go on plastic where it had any play. It helped a while lot! It still vibrates a bit when I’m on washboard but it’s not a BAD sound like you have,it’s just the sound of a 6000 pound truck and everything inside going over a washboard road.
    To me it sounds like there’s actual components vibrating. You can get the dash off fairly easy with minimal tools. I’d say it may be worth a shot. Go in there and try to move stuff. If it moves, do what you need to to secure it, zip ties, tape, put foam between wire looms and plastics, sound deadening for plastic panels and vent tubes etc... if you’re off-road a lot it may be worth it.

Uncle O[OP] likes this.
  22. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:41 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    Sounds like something is loose in that steering column area...

Uncle O[OP] likes this.
  23. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:43 AM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    Thank you! Definitely going to head in that direction. I’m pretty much only off road / washboards, so this sound needs to go away.
    I’ll keep y’all posted. :thumbsup:

Tundyfundy[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:46 AM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    My thoughts exactly! To me there is a distinct difference between the sound and feel of a heavy truck on washboards and something loose / parts contacting that can be addressed.

Tundyfundy[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Aug 12, 2019 at 9:01 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    You need to lower your coilovers down to 3”, anything more is bad for off road use, and it will definitely ride better. That’s a lot of pre load at 4+ inches, you are more than likely experiencing coil bind and topping out imo.. I hear the normal growl in the video, but also hear the shocks doing one or both. Once you get it lowered, take the diff drop off.

GodlessPro, sr5shark, joonbug and 3 others like this.
  26. Aug 12, 2019 at 9:09 AM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    I hear you. I was surprised that my fender to hub was around 26.5 - 27” with only 8 threads showing on the 2.5’s. I didn’t think 8 threads was a lot of preload / binding issue , but regardless I definitely want to be lower in the front.
    Any trouble with only having 1 thread showing ??

27. Aug 12, 2019 at 9:13 AM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    CA047396-2A9D-4F10-868C-CD9329D36797.jpg

831Tun likes this.
  28. Aug 12, 2019 at 9:19 AM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    No trouble with one thread. Both pairs I ran on my 18 would only go down to a bit over 3” lift, any lower and the coil was free at full droop.
    66BBFF90-777B-444C-86E8-6B08E59ECB5D.jpg

GodlessPro, sr5shark, joonbug and 2 others like this.
  29. Aug 12, 2019 at 9:22 AM
    Uncle O

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SX
    Solid! Thanks man. :hattip:

30. Aug 12, 2019 at 9:45 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    You may want to rotate the resi so the 90* elbow is either straight up or straight down while, of course, keeping the hose off of the coils. Depending on tire size and wheel offset it may be possible to hit the elbow.

Products Discussed in

To Top