1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Was my filter changed at the dealer?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by pro2amendment, May 10, 2019.

1. May 11, 2019 at 9:08 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Me at the alignment shop

2. May 11, 2019 at 10:46 AM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    2.5k max!!! Or, 1.5k max for 'heavy service' iffin's yooz boorniz datz 85% corn shit.

3. May 11, 2019 at 1:25 PM
    Ronin73

Ronin73 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4x4 5.7 Magnetic Grey Metallic
    10,000 mile oil changes are just fine and recommended by Toyota. Their engineers know what they are doing. 10,000 miles oil changes have been proven through thousands and thousands of used oil analysis to be just fine. Don't let these old school oil change thinkers scare you. It's all BS.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  4. May 11, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    P-Factor

P-Factor New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Double Cab
    TRD Sway Bar, TRD Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake
    Food for thought...

I'm like some of you and having being burnt a few times at dealers coupled with knowledge of how hard mechanics noses are held to the ground regarding assessments and coupled with employment incentives for up-sales, i.e. reason for 10 point inspections etc...

This being said, I am always skeptical while lacking confidence in dealers ability to be a straight shooter so I take advantage of observation windows and/or tag along service lines with my vehicles in view. I do make sure that I'm in common safe areas to assure that I don't infringe on any potential liability issues and/or become a nuisance. My dealer seems to be okay with this as I have never been challenged otherwise.

A few days ago I too had my first oil change and I watched service techs service my Tundra and I noticed that techs used a torque wrench for assuring lug nuts were tightened to specs and the same for my oil plug and filter cartridge during the oil change.

After reading the OP's observation and understanding his questioning, I decided to check my vehicle for any signs of an oil and filter change and none were found. I believe that by the tech securing all components with a torque wrench put everything back to it's original position and by wiping off any oil residue left no signs of it being recently serviced.

My drain plug was marked with a blue marker used by the factory for one of many final quality checks and the makings on both, drain plug, and the oil pan were aligned perfectly as it was originally. The odds of this happening if tightened by hand would be very slim at best.
    Also, and after observing the oil tech tighten my oil canister with a torque wrench, sorta explains why some folks are having difficulty unscrewing the cartridge during home oil changes. Just my humble opinion...

In conclusion, if I had not witnessed my services being performed first hand, I'd be asking the same questions as the OP.

I have no dog to chase, this post is based on just my personal experience and observation at my dealer.

OP, good observation and thanks for posting!

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    bgdv1, Trooper2 and aRabidLunatic like this.
  5. May 11, 2019 at 2:59 PM
    FXFormat

FXFormat New Member

Member:
    Most of the oil change guys at the dealerships are newbies, they're going through their trials, they get paid shit for doing oil changes, if i were them, i wouldn't change your filter either. Remove skid plate, drain filter, remove filter housing, remove the O ring, replace the O ring, put new filter in, screw the oil filter housing on, screw the filter drain on, reinstall skid plate. LOL all this for .2 hour of labor they get paid, which equates to like $4, can you blame them? You can thank Toyota for going with paper filters, i work at a shop and we charge more to do Toyotas with paper filters rather than traditional metal canister filters.

ZappBrannigan likes this.
  6. May 12, 2019 at 4:50 AM
    pro2amendment

pro2amendment [OP] Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra: 5.7L Flex, MGM Gray DC, Offroad pkg
    Bullet liner
    Hey all. Thanks for the discussion. I was helping my son move yesterday so couldn't check back.

Update. I'm going to have to give them benefit of the doubt. I stuck my hand in there with a nitrile glove on and touched the filter housing expecting to make an obvious mark in the oily dust and it didn't. That really was why I thought it wasnt touched. so it is possible as some of you said that it was changed. I was going to post more after pics but my premise was no marks where I thought there should be. So I dont think there's much point now.

This was my second oil change at 8200 and the first I was pretty sure they changed the filter because I could see some oil and drips on the housing. So I think its fine as my next will be less than 5k also. But I was going to pitch a fit w the dealer but I dont think I can now legitimately.

7. May 12, 2019 at 6:19 AM
    aRabidLunatic

aRabidLunatic Professional Hobo

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5 Black
    Do they get paid by the car or by the hour?

8. May 12, 2019 at 6:24 AM
    FXFormat

FXFormat New Member

Member:

They get paid a flat rate, which is $20 an hour or so depending on the dealership and skills, flat rate means if the job says it'll take 2 hours to do a job, and they finish it in 1 hour, they would still get paid based on the labor book. If it takes them 4 hours to do it, they'd still only get paid 2 hours for it. The labor book gives like .2 to do an oil change or so, they gotta go by what the labor book says. If they do brakes, that pays .9 hour, so with a brake job they'd make 18 bucks or so. That's why i went independent, brake jobs pay me $125 per axle, split that with the shop owner and i pocket $65 per brake job on a normal car, BMW and mercedes i pocket $95 after split.

Trooper2 likes this.
  9. May 12, 2019 at 8:34 AM
    APatt

APatt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement SR5 CM 4x4
    Diamondback Bed Cover, Voodoo Steel Max Modular Bed Rack, iKamper Skycamp
    DvilleMafia, just curious as I am in the DFW area and I'm a new Tundra owner. What dealership was giving you the run around so I don't ever do business with them? If you don't feel comfortable saying their name, can you give me a city or some kind of clue as to where they might be located?

10. May 12, 2019 at 12:50 PM
    Ronin73

Ronin73 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4x4 5.7 Magnetic Grey Metallic
    Yes, I can blame them. This is what's wrong with this country's workforce. You take the job, you do the job. It doesn't matter what you get paid, you took the job. Do the oil change and do it properly. That isn't how life works. If I went into my job and said you know, I don't get paid enough to do this so I am only going to do a portion of my work, then I would get fired. These techs that choose not to change the filter should be fired. If you don't like what you are getting paid, get a new job.

11. May 12, 2019 at 2:22 PM
    FXFormat

FXFormat New Member

Member:
    Unfortunately not everyone is a straight shot like that, time = money, and money talks, they want to get it done and go to the next car to bill their hours. Tundras are not as bad, on the new Ford Ranger, to do an oil change you'd have to pull the driver's side tire to get access to the oil filter, and remove some skid plates blocking it. Good luck to everyone with that truck at the dealership, this is how i got started in car repairs, trust issues with techs. Turns out to be the best decision of my life, lucrative, and gives me the knowledge and skills to own cars that i would not normally buy because of how unreliable they are, ie, my V12 Twin Turbo SL600.

12. May 12, 2019 at 4:18 PM
    womprat57

womprat57 BABE the Big Blue Ox

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC 4x4
    Yeah I'm in the same boat my stealership had done a few questionable things and now I am taking over, got brakes and oil change supplies on order and gettin ready to do all the transfer cases and diff fluids, as well as the shocks. I've been wrenching for 32 years and now as I get older I have more power tools to help. It is very empowering to do your own work and troubleshooting, you get to know the vehicle intimately. Dealerships have shown me, mostly, they hire poop-flinging monkeys and over-work, under-pay them. Not all mechanics, but an overwhelming majority who call themselves "techs".

13. May 17, 2019 at 4:44 PM
    womprat57

womprat57 BABE the Big Blue Ox

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DC 4x4
    Got all the parts in just need some oil and time. I'll take pics so we can see if it ever got done ;-)

Products Discussed in

To Top