1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

**Warning**S#!t birds landed in Greenville

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by GAknight, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Dec 10, 2019 at 6:44 PM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    Man that sucks I hate a No good thief.

2. Dec 10, 2019 at 6:50 PM
    GAknight

GAknight [OP] New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    No...no stickers anywhere.
    The pistol was down in the driver door, at the back of the pocket. It was not visible unless the door was open, or sitting in the driver seat and looking down.
    They broke in from the back passenger. Police said there were likely 2-3 of them. One breaks the window and unlocks the vehicle for the other one/two to open the other doors. Completely a crime of wishful thinking.

I use the safe for times when I'm leaving valuables (like the pistol) for an extended period of time, like when I fly and park at the airport.
    I get the sentiment. But that's also like saying that every time I leave the house, I need to go around and pick up all the guns I have placed around the house and put them in the safe. Not practical.

And no matter what, it does not excuse the fact that a thief broke in.

Nonetheless, as noted...My wheels are spinning on new solutions.

3. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:03 PM
    GAknight

GAknight [OP] New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Nice!! I was thinking about adding a camera or two.
    With the phone app and the motion/bump detection; Do you get live notices if the cameras are activated?

GODZILLA likes this.
  4. Dec 11, 2019 at 1:39 AM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    I do not get live notices or alerts on the model I have. When I return to the truck and turn it on it tells me how many incidents it did record and it tells me how many of those actually caused the truck to move or shake. I can then go into the files and download or review whichever one I want to see from whatever angle.

GAknight[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 11, 2019 at 12:03 PM
    GAknight

GAknight [OP] New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    That's still nice!
    I dont know that the cell notices are necessary...would be a nice option of the price is right.

Did you buy the individual cameras or a kit? Their website looks like they have a few options?

6. Dec 11, 2019 at 2:12 PM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 dbl. cab long bed gray
    Husky weatherbeaters,short antenna,window deflectors
    This guy does not need sympathy. He needs to learn about responsibility. There is nothing more important that the handling of your firearm. He announces that criminals are among us which everybody knows then gives excuses and was also depending on Toyota GBS whatever that is and this is the second time in 5 months?! Forgetting about your gun isnt just some normal mistake and it is always practical to make sure they are secured. You and him can ramble on all day but nothing will make it ok for him to have forgotten his gun. If i forget mine, check me out because something isnt right. This is like the same dajavu every damn time a guy on here gets a gun stolen!

hitech and Pudge like this.
  7. Dec 11, 2019 at 2:25 PM
    equin

equin Texarican Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Sky DC SR5 5.7L 4x4 TSS Package
    TRD Rear Anti-sway bar, TRD Pro skid plate, Bedrug bed mat, 17" Icon Rebounds, 315/70/17 BFG AT/K02, Bilstein 6112s front (for now), Fox 2.5 Remote Reservoirs rear, Diamondback SE, Dirtydeeds Industries 8" stainless BAMuffler, aFe dry air filter, TRD air intake accelerator
    Sorry that happened to you. No gun taken from my Tundra, but some bastards did take my toddler’s diaper bag full of diapers and diaper wipes when they smashed n grabbed my rear driver side window a few weekends ago in south Houston. It was just a cheap backpack I used as a makeshift diaper bag that I left on the floor almost underneath the front seat. I guess they peaked in and thought it had something valuable in it. Took forever for me to vacuum up all the little glass pieces left in his car seat. Anyway, I hope you’ll be able to recover your handgun one day.

GAknight[OP], GODZILLA and OR18TRD like this.
  8. Dec 11, 2019 at 2:30 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Not giving sympathy. Don't think the OP was wanting sympathy. Pretty sure he was saying "guys I messed up. Don't do what I did and think that a nice neighborhood is safe. Always secure your firearms."I can understand how it happened, even if I believe it was a mistake. Not excusing it, but I also don't feel the need to pile on.

9. Dec 11, 2019 at 2:42 PM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    Bla bla bla...I will pile on wherever I want to!

10. Dec 11, 2019 at 6:14 PM
    GAknight

GAknight [OP] New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Sorry the sharing of my experience got you hype and experiencing deja vu, man!

While I appreciate your and @AzureNightmare passion and your freedom to pile on whenever you want, you can squash the banter regarding the intent of my original post and what I need.
    Let me be clear...I don't need you or anyone to tell me my f#$k up or unfortunate luck is 'okay'....never asked for it or any sympathy...and never will. And I pinky swear, I need no lessons on handling firearms or armchair lectures on responsibility.
    What you choose to read as excuses were simple statements about my mistake and how I forgot the damn thing. 'Just happened to be on a night that someone broke in my truck...which was my shit luck...period.

Aside from sharing my unfortunate luck of the break in and f%$k up... the primary intent was to share a warning to other truck owners that a seemingly nice and affluent area in SC is being targeted by a small group of thieves, specifically targeting trucks (as confirmed later by the police).

Mistakenly or not; leaving a gun in a locked vehicle, out of sight is no different than leaving a gun at home in a nightstand or on top of a refrigerator when someone goes out to run errands or go to work. I'm sure there are many people that are glad safes are not required for gun ownership. If you only keep your guns on you, or in a safe at all times, good on you.

The Toyota GBS, is the glass-break-sensor. Which is supposed to sound the alarm whenever the glass is broken, and the doors are shut/locked. I don't think that it's standard or always activated/ plugged in on every truck. I shared the fact that it did not work, in case someone were to wonder/ask about the alarm going off.

Pinay, THEMrs.J, equin and 2 others like this.
  11. Dec 11, 2019 at 7:05 PM
    MAN N BLK

MAN N BLK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rickie
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra TRD CrewMax
    In time
    Hate thieves! Hang em all after torturing them! The place you got robbed at might be a sweet spot for a thief sniper. Ever heard of a thief sniper? Me neither but man that would be something good on the 6 o’clock news.

THEMrs.J and GAknight[OP] like this.
  12. Dec 11, 2019 at 7:28 PM
    MAN N BLK

MAN N BLK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rickie
    Vehicle:
    In time
    And another thing.... Leaving your shit in your ride regardless of what that shit might be is irrelevant. If you want to leave ten pistols in there and three boxes of twinkies it’s your fucking right to do so...

THEMrs.J, RLHULK, equin and 4 others like this.
  13. Dec 11, 2019 at 7:34 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    This is true. I wish that people didn't think they could just take from others. Sadly, thieves are a fact of life, so I err on the side of caution. Always armed, and every door locked.

GAknight[OP] likes this.
  14. Dec 11, 2019 at 7:37 PM
    MAN N BLK

MAN N BLK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rickie
    Vehicle:
    In time
    Been hit twice. Two completely different situations. I’d love to make an example out of somebody.

easleycrawler likes this.
  15. Dec 11, 2019 at 7:41 PM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    I don't know who you are, @AzureNightmare, but I know you're a stand up dude and your family and friends are blessed because of you.

Much respect.:hattip:

AZBoatHauler and THEMrs.J like this.
  16. Dec 11, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    GODZILLA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Trying not to mod it
    I have my moments. Trust me, I let everybody down eventually. :thumbsup:

17. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:50 PM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    You are what gives gun owners a bad image. You do have the right to not have common sense and act irresponsibly. Let's pray that your stupid decisions never arm criminals and if they do, don't tell me you're sorry. The the victims.

millerstone likes this.
  18. Dec 11, 2019 at 9:02 PM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    And just remember the right that you act irresponsibly with is the right that protects every single other right. Smh

millerstone likes this.
  19. Dec 12, 2019 at 2:49 AM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    The way I see it, your car, truck, house whatever if its locked then its is secured. No one has the right to enter your property with out your permission. How you decide to sore your property behind locked doors and windows is your business. But then again locks are for honest people.

Been there done that. Sadly even if caught they will just get turned loose, or not even arrested at all. Fucking oxygen thieves.

GAknight[OP], GODZILLA, equin and 2 others like this.
  20. Dec 12, 2019 at 2:58 AM
    grannynancy

grannynancy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nancy
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD 4WD
    It really is lowlife. I had about $600 of gear stolen when we were on a search for a missing person. After that I locked everything. My dog boxes also lock when they don't go out with me (usually I bring two of them but only work one at a time)..but if they really want something locks are irrelevant.

21. Dec 12, 2019 at 3:01 AM
    MAN N BLK

MAN N BLK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rickie
    Vehicle:
    In time
    Ease up with that gavel, bud

DaBoro54 and easleycrawler like this.
  22. Dec 12, 2019 at 6:17 AM
    Stig

Stig New Member

Member:
    I don't see the big deal that the OP had his pistol stolen. He locked it in his truck.

The pistol can be replaced but that's only a small portion of the $$$ in damage. I'd be more pissed about the aggravation and what's to come for the repairs

I've come to realize a small percentage of concealed permit holders actually carry all the time. So the OP did what likely most of you here do. No reason to harp on him and it can serve as a lesson for everyone

I personally am never unarmed but that doesn't mean I don't have other firearms inside my vehicle. Fact is, if you aren't carrying all your firearms you own all the time, they are up for grabs to the burglars.

23. Dec 12, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    MAN N BLK

MAN N BLK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rickie
    Vehicle:
    In time
    I think the scumbags that steal the guns and use them in other scumbag ways are who give guns a bad image but you’re entitled to your opinion regardless of how lame and far off it is.

24. Dec 12, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '18 Crewmax - ADS Mid Travel
    ADS 2.5's (rear bypass) U748 Leaf Springs

So you left an unsecured firearm in your vehicle and it got stolen?
    :facepalm:

I'm sorry your stuff got jacked... Truly I am. The person/people that did it are true scum. At the same time, I also do a face-palm every time I've seen a thread on here about someone leaving a deadly weapon unsecured in their vehicle and then it gets stolen (and there have been quite a few, so you are NOT the only one). You have a CC permit, as you noted, so you obviously have training and know that these are serious items, not "play things". Yeah, hind-site is 20/20 and all so you are probably kicking yourself anyway, but seriously?!?!?!? You have a safe in your truck and you just decided not to use it?!?!?!
    You KNOW that there are a ton of scumbags out there (probably why you did CC), so you should ALSO know that you should secure your weapon any time it is not on your person.
    :deadhorse:

I wont say that you "invited" them to break into your vehicle since it may not have been visible, but I will say that leaving it where you did was negligent and irresponsible.
    Sorry... Just how I feel. :crapstorm:

25. Dec 12, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    IT SHOULD BE... These items you leave strewn about the house should also be secured. Either in a little quick-access safe, or in a large safe that has been secured to the floor.

Agreed. It is THEIR FAULT they broke into your vehicle. It is your fault you made it a (pun intended) target rich environment.

26. Dec 12, 2019 at 12:13 PM
    Sephon

Sephon Don't be an American't

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northwest PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black Tundra TRD Pro
    Icon Rebounds w/285/75 BFG KO2’s, Coachbuilder +2
    Yeah, it's everyone else giving gun owners a bad image.......

TundraDude18 and GODZILLA like this.
  27. Dec 12, 2019 at 12:21 PM
    TundraDude18

TundraDude18 Deus vult

Member:
    'Merica
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited CM
    Silver Bullet Express
    A knife is a weapon: how many people leave knives out in their home?

A vehicle is a weapon: people stealing them sometimes drive at high speed and kill people; yet, how many people have a kill switch?

Dogs can be weapons too, the list goes on and on ...

I think the question is really this: "When securing a weapon, what is necessary to avoid liability in a court of law?"

THAT is an interesting question.

P.S. A mouth is a weapon [ruins relationships, makes us liable because what we say can be used against us in a court of law]: but how often do we see people's mouths secured?:D

:popcorn:

28. Dec 12, 2019 at 12:38 PM
    BeachyTundra

BeachyTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM 5.7L DC, Bilstein 5100s
    lol @Tacogrande and @DividedSky . Was it a poor move for him to leave it in his truck when he had a safe? Sure it was. But the fact of the matter is, it is literally NEVER the victims fault.

Theft, Murder, Rape, it does not matter. Should we as people do something to protect ourselves from these things, yeah, we should, because people suck. But trying to put the blame on the victim in an instance like this is nearly as bad as stealing the gun yourself. Quit being ass-hats about the situation. If the law doesn't explicitly require a firearm to be locked away in a safe when not on the person, he needs to do nothing more than lock it in his truck.

What was stolen is entirely irrelevant. Take a look at the UK and all their stabbings after all but banning firearms. It's almost like shitty people will do shitty things, regardless of what they have access to. Kind of a weird coincidence isn't it?

29. Dec 12, 2019 at 1:10 PM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    Maybe you missed it, but I clearly stated:
    "I wont say that you "invited" them to break into your vehicle since it may not have been visible, but I will say that leaving it where you did was negligent and irresponsible."

If I leave a pile of gold in the back of my truck, right there in plain sight, with a big sign that says "GOLD HERE" and someone "takes" it, yes... it is theft and it is the fault of the person that took it. At the same time, would you argue that I was being smart about leaving my pile of gold unsecured in the back of my truck, or did I make a stupid choice? If I leave a bar in a sketchy neighborhood and decide to take a quick "nap" on the sidewalk and I get jacked, did I make a wise choice? If I'm traveling to an impoverished country and I walk around with gobs of fancy jewelry and large bills hanging out of my pocket and someone robs me, did I make smart choices, or did I invite thieves to relieve me of my possessions? Was I being RESPONSIBLE? HELL NO!!

It is NOT his fault that his vehicle was broken into. It IS HIS FAULT that he left a firearm unsecured in it.

I doubt that he will ever make the same mistake again, but there are a TON of people on here that have firearms and may be in a similar situation in the future. My hope is that by harping on this a little, it will make them think twice about not securing the weapon.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    millerstone likes this.
  30. Dec 12, 2019 at 1:26 PM
    BeachyTundra

BeachyTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM 5.7L DC, Bilstein 5100s
    I guess you need a lesson on what "secured" means. Let me google it for you real quick. It of course has multiple definitions, but I've included the one we're talking about here, below.

se·cure
    /səˈkyo͝or/
    - protected against attack or other criminal activity.

Would you say that locking your home when you leave for work is an effective way of securing your belongings? What about locking something of moderate value in a vehicle while you're at work, say your favorite water bottle or hat. Wouldn't you consider those objects "safe" inside your locked vehicle? The value of the object, or what the object is, is irrelevant. If the object is behind a LOCKED door, it is protected against criminal activity, thereby making it secure.

TundraDude18 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top