1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want to install backup camera

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mdc1001, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Sep 15, 2016 at 4:55 PM
    mdc1001

mdc1001 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just bought my first Toyota, a 2013 Tundra base, and after backing a couple times I realized I needed help in a big way. I found lots of info on installing a camera using existing cabling and mounting the monitor in the overhead console. I believe the camera wiring is installed because there is a cable with a unused connector located near the spare tire on passenger side. My overhead console is small with lights on each side, eyeglass holder, 2 inch spacer, and credit card holder. Does the camera cable terminate in the console and if it does there a monitor that will work with this console? What I would really like to do is upgrade my radio to a GPS and connect the camera to it. Any suggestions?

2. Sep 15, 2016 at 6:12 PM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Welcome from TN AND congrats on your truck!
    I think it's better and cheaper to go with the rear view mirror monitor. Not sure how you can hook up the camera to your GPS unless you wire it up yourself.

Why didn't you just get a 14+ model? Rear view cameras come stock on those.

3. Sep 15, 2016 at 6:41 PM
    sstoddard

sstoddard New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2019 Crewmax Sport
    Alarm/start (Compustar Ft7000,Rf2wl1b 2-way remotes and Drone Mobile) Tailgate inserts NSV Lightbar Tailgate actuator Blacked out decals
    If you are upgrading to an aftermarket radio with GPS you can tie,into the factory wiring with the end of an rca cable. If the truck is prewired, then there should be wiring in the overhead console to tie into. Rostra makes an excellent kit with all that you would need but it goes through the mirror.

4. Sep 17, 2016 at 6:16 AM
    mdc1001

mdc1001 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have the camera wiring at the tailgate and am wondering if the video goes to the overhead console or stereo cable bundle or both. I guess I will pull my old stereo and see if there is a unused RCA hanging around. I would have loved to get a 2014 with all the options but that would have been way over my budget.

5. Sep 17, 2016 at 8:11 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Makes sense. Same happened to me in 2014. Couldn't get a 3rd gen :(

I'm pretty sure it's just the overhead console that has the camera wires.

Products Discussed in

To Top