1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want to help me make sense of gear oil colors?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by focal, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Mar 17, 2020 at 2:59 PM
    focal

focal [OP] and the Warthog

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikolai
    VA / NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tunda Rock Warrior 5.7 DblCab
    I just changed the front & rear diff fluid and transfer case. Had a few different colors that were the opposite of what I suspected.

Bought the truck used @ 119k; currently 121k.

Previous owner said the rear diff fluid looked good when he checked it, but he never changed it. CarFax shows all history at dealer prior to previous owner with no history of being changed.

Rear diff fluid was about the color of an early engine oil change at appx 3-4000 miles.

Transfer case fluid looked pretty new like engine oil at 1000 miles

Front diff, different story. Appeared about as dark as engine oil around the 5-6000 mile mark. Transparent coming out with dark brown color, but not something of concern. Almost reminded me of a high mileage tranny fluid change.

I’m sorry, my analogies probably suck, but I dumped all three into the same container, unable to compare.

What I thought would happen would be dark rear diff and light transfer and front, because the front fluids get used far less. I understand anything could have happened along its path. Just seeing if others may have experienced the same. Dark front diff fluid, lighter rear diff fluid, barely colored transfer case fluid.

Thanks,

2. Mar 17, 2020 at 3:49 PM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    Mine were all Black but those went about 175k but still black as can be. At 325k now with zero issues and 2 changes since.

I really wouldn't worry about it with only 120k or so. Did you go Dino, hybrid or full synth?

focal[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 17, 2020 at 5:33 PM
    focal

focal [OP] and the Warthog

Member:
    First Name:
    Nikolai
    VA / NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tunda Rock Warrior 5.7 DblCab
    Mobil 1 full synthetic 75w90 in all three. 7.3 quarts and I feel like I came up short but will check again next week. Thanks!

4. Mar 18, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    Tiamat

Tiamat New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 tundra crewmax xp
    This means someone changed the rear diff oil at some point. When I changed the diff fluids in my last truck at 130k the rear diff was black and the smell was horrible. The front looked like it was new. I used 4x4 very seldom.

focal[OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 19, 2020 at 5:03 AM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    I changed my front and rear diff at 55,000 miles. It was dark. And the smell? The smell? Like a 17 year old on the rag.

Cuz y'all will want to know. I went back with boutique Redline 75-85 full synthetic. Smooth as a baby's butt.

focal[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 20, 2020 at 7:09 PM
    TexasArdnut

TexasArdnut New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 1794
    I use Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140 in the diffs. It’s expensive but there isn’t anything better. I change each every 40,000 whether they need it or not.

focal[OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 20, 2020 at 8:37 PM
    Green Thunder

Green Thunder Smooth in the Cruise

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2020 Burnt Green TRD Pro
    Food crumbs and dog fur
    This cracked me up...Did he just put his booger-hook in the fill hole and take a sniff? Wow, that came out way dirtier that I intended...my comment, not your oil...but apparently your oil was dirty too...

Aaaannnnyyyywayyyy, I've never changed these fluids on my Tundra, but done them on my other trucks (Ford, GMC) around 30k miles. While the fluids have never looked new, they've never been super dark either. Sounds like the previous owner(s) did a mixed bag of maintenance. Good that you changed them out as you can now reset the Maintenance Clock...

focal[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top