1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Violent vibration

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by muhman_527, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Jan 30, 2019 at 7:57 PM
    muhman_527

muhman_527 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston Texas
    Also if I do add the 3” body lift, does that affect any driveshaft angles?

2. Jan 30, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Not sure

3. Feb 10, 2019 at 4:21 PM
    muhman_527

Member:
    Houston Texas
    Okay update. I’ve added the carrier bearing drop kit and .75” drivetrain spacer from coach builder. The vibration is still there but has been reduced to only a few times a car ride (20min). Being that this problem was here before I got the lift installed I am suspecting the u-joints. There is slight play in the carrier bearing joint and the front joint. I’m going to take it to a few mechanics to get some official answers. Will update when changed

Stormtrooper81 likes this.
  4. Feb 18, 2019 at 3:47 PM
    muhman_527

Member:
    Houston Texas
    Update #2: I’ve changed the u joints (all 3). I replaced the carrier bearing . I balanced the shaft. And finally I have added a driveline spacer and carrier bearing drop kit. The vibration/ shutter is still there :mad:. I called the driveshaft place I went to and they said it could be my torque converter. I guess I’m just going to have to live with the stupid shuttering :(:smack:

5. Feb 22, 2019 at 4:42 AM
    illfixit

illfixit New Member

Member:
    Potter Co.
    Vehicle:
    15 TUNDRA TRD OFF ROAD
    Muhman, this may be a really stupid thought but I think I’m having the same shuddering and I’m wondering if it’s coming from the engine!! I have several other Jeep creations and older vehicles that you can almost tell exactly where the problem is coming from but this is different and seems to be something with fuel or air interruption. I’m scared as hell to touch my truck now as I’m getting 18.6 mpg up from 12 last week. Just a possible though here!! But you did save me a lot of money trying to resolve the drive shaft avenue!!

6. Feb 23, 2019 at 10:38 PM
    muhman_527

Member:
    Houston Texas
    Update #3: I took my truck to one of the local transmission shops for a free diagnostics. They told me my transmission was running fine and that they couldn’t recreate the vibration. Even if they recreated it they doubted it was a torque converter problem because he said if it was it would be shuddering almost every time I was in 3rd or 4rth gear (30-45mph). They confirmed it was coming from an engine issue because they found 2 codes that popped up. The mechanic gave me a list of 15 possible issues that I’m having but also noted that they are not what actually is the problem but just suggestions. The serious question I had was would any of these issues cause harm to the engine and he said no but it may be causeing the vibration. Taking that in note I’m just going to have the Toyota dealer do the complete truck diagnostic and analysis once I regear in a few weeks. For now I’m just going to deal with it. Hope this helps someone

7. Feb 23, 2019 at 10:41 PM
    muhman_527

Member:
    Houston Texas
    Yea it is going to be a engine related issue. I’m just going to take it to the dealer and have them run a complete diagnostics for 60 bucks. Sucks tho because it takes a few days and I hate driving other cars:annoyed:

8. Feb 24, 2019 at 7:37 AM
    illfixit

illfixit New Member

Member:
    Potter Co.
    Vehicle:
    15 TUNDRA TRD OFF ROAD
    That’s great you may know where it’s coming from and like me it sucks you had to spend so much money determining it wasn’t coming from the drive train !! I’m over 400 dollars and climbing trying to resolve the issue of my vibration or more like a pulsating feeling and gas mileage fluctuation!! If you see the muffler options post on here you can see most of what I tried and the ONLY change I noticed came from cleaning my Mass Air Flow Sensor. It changed the start up idle severely, it used to idle high for 5-10 mins now it cuts straight to a low normal idle. I just feel like I’m ALWAYS into the gas to get this thing to move and what I can’t get used to is immediate jake brake when I release the gas, up hill or down but it still has the second hold back when I press the brake for 1-2 seconds going down hill. I hope you figure yours out and if I do I’ll let you know!! But for now I’m consentrating on an entire underbody restoration as half this Pennsylvania shit winter has completely destroyed everything!!!

9. Mar 11, 2019 at 8:45 AM
    Crunch527

Crunch527 Brute Force and Ignorance

Member:
    Iowa
    TRD Supercharger/BAM
    Any updates? Curious how adding a 6 inch lift resulted in an engine vibration?

10. Mar 15, 2019 at 11:39 PM
    muhman_527

Member:
    Houston Texas
    The 6 inch lift has little to do with it. The vibration was there before the lift, adding the lift just pulled my angles and really amplified the vibrations. I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the engine because of the two codes that came up.(intake,and coolant related). Only update that I can give is that I just regeared to 4.88 gears this Tuesday and the vibration is still there but occurs a little less often. I had to change my rear yoke for the gears so I had to remove the coachbuilder .75” driveline spacer that I had to account for the lift so the driveshaft is still sticking out the the trans flask a little. Having a driveshaft shop help customize the rear piece of the driveshaft to fix that. Then hopefully I’m going to change the transmission fluid and filter. When I do that I’m going to add this additive that I’ve seen online called shutter be gone or something like that. If the shuttering is still there the. I’ll definitely know that it’s probably coming from the engine. For now the vibration are bearable but I would love to figure out what it is. The mechanic who installed my gears was able to replicate the vibration when testing the truck and he thinks it could still be the transmission or the driveshaft because the driveshaft doesn’t have a rear slip yoke. He showed me a 3rd gen tundra that was in the shop and it had a slip on the rear piece of the driveshaft. Called the driveshaft place that I go to and they said the tundra was fine with just a solid piece with no slip in the rear. I’ll post any updates

11. Mar 16, 2019 at 4:59 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
    My truck isn't lifted but when/if my carrier bearing ever goes or even a u-joint I'm getting a one piece drive shaft made for it, a friend of mine had one made including new u-joints for $300. Personally I see no reason for split drive shafts on this truck.

12. Mar 16, 2019 at 6:37 AM
    revtune

revtune New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Houston Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4.7 AC 2wd
    2006 Tundra: Stock air intake 3 inch catback Magnaflow 13742 2.5 inch front lift 1.5 inch rear blocks 2014 sr5 4Runner wheels (17x7) 1.5 inch hub centric wheel spacers p285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Weathertech floor liners
    Greetings, I live in Houston too. Where did you go to get your driveshaft balanced. And did they also do your gears?

13. Mar 16, 2019 at 1:37 PM
    Crunch527

Crunch527 Brute Force and Ignorance

Member:
    Iowa
    TRD Supercharger/BAM
    Does the engine vibrate when in park and as you raise the RPMs?

15whtrd likes this.
  14. Mar 19, 2019 at 11:07 PM
    muhman_527

Member:
    Houston Texas
    I had my driveshaft maintenances done at northwest drive train near 290. They have really good upfront prices but only have one lift available so it’s better to rip off your shaft and bring it in if u can. Planning to get my custom rear done there. I had my ujoints and carrier bearing done there with the balance but my gears where done at 4wp on Westheimer. I’m not to sure if they do gears, maybe they do.

15. Mar 19, 2019 at 11:10 PM
    muhman_527

Member:
    Houston Texas
    No not in park. Only in that certain speed of 35ish to 45ish as I step on the gas(raising rpms). Most of the time I just let go and it disappears but sometimes it will just go always if I just hold the gas. Sometimes if I hold the gas it gets worse lol.

16. Mar 19, 2019 at 11:12 PM
    muhman_527

Member:
    Houston Texas
    Not too experienced with one pieced driveshafts but if yours works out definelty post

Products Discussed in

To Top