1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration when braking

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by jtx0741, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Mar 5, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    jtx0741

jtx0741 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    I have a 2013 tundra crewmax texas edition with 172k miles on it.

lately it started shaking while braking at highway speeds. while driving approximately 80 if I apply the brakes, it will usually shake between 65-50 mph. then it's gone or significantly minimized to where it ain't noticed. the best way I can describe it is a bouncing on the brake and some shaking on the steering wheel. I've read that bad rotors are the #1 cause and replaced the front rotors and pads. still shaking.

not being a truck guy I was talking to co workers about it. it feels as though the shakes originate from the passenger front side. I noticed while doing the change that the shock was leaking.

can that be a cause for the vibration? they told me it could cause it, along with bad ball joints.

any thoughts on what could cause this? everything (except the rotors and pads) is stock.

also I just recently replaced my tires, and have got them balanced and an alignment. below is a pic of the passenger side.

thanks in advance for any input.

20200224_091534.jpg

2. Mar 5, 2020 at 7:32 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    I would first have the tire balance checked, preferably at front end specialty shop different from the tire store. Just because you had your new tires balanced and aligned does not mean that it was done properly.

The leaking shock is not the cause of the problem, but any force unbalance causing vibration is probably not being damped as much as it could be. Shocks are not intended to damp wheel unbalance.

Chris Fix on checking and replacing your ball joints:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62bVn7E8gyk

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  3. Mar 5, 2020 at 7:40 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    check tire balance first, that is cheap. Id replace both front shocks since it is leaking (replace them in pairs or all of them on truck), then have ballpoints checked.

4. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    tlpru

tlpru New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    trent
    Southlake, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trd Pro
    added power mirrors, auto fold mirror, 2019 TRD head and FOG lights, FORTIN remote start, retrax tonneau cover, 18" fuel BFGK02, TRD sway bar, TRD intake
    172,000 miles...

yea you have some worn out parts..

jack up front end, secure truck with stands... shake wheels....
    look close at suspension parts... look at rack n pinion. there are mount bushing that wear....

5. Mar 5, 2020 at 8:46 AM
    jtx0741

jtx0741 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    I had it checked at a Firestone Complete auto care. not sure of the reliability, but they have been doing them for over a yr with no problems up until recently.

wouldnt the unbalanced wheels cause the truck to shake while driving all the time?

I ordered the 2 strut assemblies to replace them as a pair.

I'll try jacking up the truck and shaking it. would I be able to see a specific point on the rack and pinion where the bushing would be? should there be any play in them?

Products Discussed in

To Top