1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration after wheels and Tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by greentrbo95gst, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Jul 8, 2021 at 3:09 PM
    greentrbo95gst

greentrbo95gst [OP] New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    I have a 2020 TRD Pro and had no vibration at all. I bought brand new Icon wheels and Toyo 35s and steering wheel shimmy started around 60 mph. I had the wheels rebalanced several times, but cannot get rid of the shimmy. Any ideas? I searched the forum and found that the wheels could be possibly lug centeric rather than hub centric.

PXL_20210523_214054369.jpg

2. Jul 8, 2021 at 4:01 PM
    BroTun13

BroTun13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Beaumont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tundra SR5
    I've battling with this for 10k miles now. I can get it to go away for a little bit by loosening the lugs then torque by hand but the vibration seems to come back in a few weeks. It's gotten pretty annoying and my least favorite thing about this truck so far. I have never had any issue with aftermarket wheels on any truck. 4 different tire shops have checked the tires are the they are balanced.

3. Jul 8, 2021 at 4:05 PM
    greentrbo95gst

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Are you using icon wheels? Have you tried hubcentric rings?

4. Jul 8, 2021 at 4:08 PM
    BroTun13

BroTun13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Beaumont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tundra SR5
    Yes I have Icon Rebounds. I haven't tried the rings but I was told not to use them by the shop I got my wheels from. IDK I've never used them in the past but maybe worth a shot.

5. Jul 8, 2021 at 4:27 PM
    greentrbo95gst

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Did they tell you why you should not use them?

6. Jul 8, 2021 at 4:29 PM
    Gravy

Gravy Cat herder, ASCM #π

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC 4x4, Limited TRD
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.
    Wow, this issue keeps popping up. It's discussed in many threads. While it can be caused by several different factors, its seems that FAR more often than not its caused by incompetent tire techs, and problem seems to be systemic with tire shops. My advice is go to your most trusted tire shop, get the manager/owner and tell them you want a dynamic load balance, if they don't know what a dynamic balance is, find a new shop. From what I understand most/all tire balancing machines can run in static or dynamic mode, and the static mode is faster, cheaper and easier to pay Johnny Dumbshit minimum wage to learn and do. The bigger tires and rims we Tundra lovers like require the more complex dynamic balancing mode. If you still have a wheel vibration/shimmy, you can find a shop that will do a road force (think thats the name of it) balance for some extra cash. Its a more labor intensive balancing that takes special equipment, so you gotta pay for it, but that should fix the problem if the dynamic method fails.

tundra_uso and Joro43 like this.
  7. Jul 8, 2021 at 4:33 PM
    greentrbo95gst

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    I used couple different shops and the second one actually tried two ways of balancing. Same results. It sucks, because I really like what the truck looks like and its capabilities.

8. Jul 8, 2021 at 4:40 PM
    throughitalldude

throughitalldude New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    3/1 Lift |TSS 20" Wheels | 35 Cooper AT3 XLT | Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust
    I had a 2012 SR5 3" lift, 35" tires, etc no shimmy no shakes just perfection on the road. Got a 2017 Platinum and did the same exact lift and wheel set up and the steering shook at 65 and I had feedback going over bumps. I was blown away and I took my truck to a ton of different shops and no luck. Finally got rid of the 65 shake through proper alignment but the shop who fixed it told me these newer Tundras are so much more sensitive to modifications then any other truck on the market. Steering over bumps is still much more reactive then my 2012 but not something that is bothering. Needless to say not sure ill ever mod a truck again after all the hassle I have gone through. I will from now on opt for a truck that is lifted prior to purchase and I like how it drives or I will buy a upgraded model like a TRD Pro or Raptor where it looks good off the lot.

I would say realign and re balance again..... its crazy how finicky these trucks are when doing those types of service but dont give up.

Mr_Kane likes this.
  9. Jul 8, 2021 at 4:52 PM
    Gravy

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.
    My suggestion then would be to try and find a shop that has the road force? balancer machine. But it could be that you got one of those fluke wheel/tires that is out of spec and can't be balanced. Remember, if it didn't do it when you bought the truck, its probably not the trucks fault! Many of us have been through this, including me, and its enough to drive you nuts. Theres always an answer, just be patient and keep trying things. Take your truck to a trusted real mechanic, and not just a tire tech, and see what he/she thinks. Know any other Tundra owners? See if you can borrow a set of wheels for a short while, see if the problem persists. Process of elimination and all that. Just remember, you've got a kick ass truck, it maybe doin shit it aint supposed to, but there's a fix out there :)

10. Jul 8, 2021 at 5:02 PM
    BroTun13

BroTun13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Beaumont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tundra SR5
    Because they're lug centric and Im using conical lug nuts. Made sense at the time because that's how all my other wheels have been in the past

11. Jul 8, 2021 at 5:05 PM
    BroTun13

BroTun13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Beaumont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tundra SR5
    I see you're local to me. Do you have any shops you can recommend? I've always worked on my own trucks and went the cheapest mom and pop tire shops around because this shouldn't be rocket science.

12. Jul 8, 2021 at 5:53 PM
    greentrbo95gst

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Yea I am using the same conical lug nuts.

13. Jul 8, 2021 at 5:54 PM
    greentrbo95gst

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    My tire guy just suggested using balance bags. Ive never heard of those.

14. Jul 8, 2021 at 6:07 PM
    FISHN43

FISHN43 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Pro
    I just upsized from Falken Wildpeak 275’s to the same tire in 295. Both on stock Pro BBS wheels. The 275s were smooth as glass at all speeds. Now with the 295s I have the crazy steering wheel shakes at about 60mph. Took it back to the shop today but they were to busy so they sent me to their sister shop 15 minutes away. When they went to rebalance the tires they were surprised that there was no wheel weights. Called the original shop that mounted them and were told that they used “bag weights” inside the tire. Huh? They asked me to drive it for a week and see if it balances out and if not bring it back and they’ll rebalance the tires. I left the shop and drove at various speeds up to about 70 for about 40 miles. Nope, still have the shakes. I have a feeling the internal “bag weights” are not going to work. Sorry for the personal rant but I’m just starting to go through what you’ve been dealing with for a while and already annoyed by it. I’m sorry its such a hassle for you and hope you get it worked out. Truck looks awesome! They didn’t use “bag weights” in your tires, did they?

NueveTundra likes this.
  15. Jul 8, 2021 at 6:12 PM
    greentrbo95gst

Member:
    Huntington Beach

That's great to know. He literally suggested doing that 30 mins ago so I guess I won't be doing that anymore. It is very annoying to me and I am willing to try anything that hasn't been tried to get rid of it.

16. Jul 8, 2021 at 6:15 PM
    BroTun13

BroTun13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Beaumont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tundra SR5
    Well that's a bummer that OEM wheels didn't fix it either. That was my next step

17. Jul 8, 2021 at 6:17 PM
    FISHN43

FISHN43 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Pro
    I’m going to give it a week like they asked me, but I’ve already put some decent miles on but it is no better than when I drove it away from the tire shop yesterday morning. I’ll keep you posted if it improves.

18. Jul 8, 2021 at 6:39 PM
    Gravy

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    I actually saw a video on bag balancing the other day. Very interesting, but I haven't researched yet the validity/quality of the process. It was intriguing though. Worth a try if it isn't expensive...

Brotun13, glad to see a Tundra brother in the area! Unforetunately I don't know of any tire shops in the area that I particularly trust to do a good job. I know good mechanic shops, but I've had the same fight everyone else has getting a good balance. I do have a set of 20" oem rims and some good rubber (285/50r20) I can lend you to eliminate/confirm your current wheels are the culprit. If your interested let me know, I'll have to get my local shop to throw the rubber on the old rims for ya, and I trust them enough to do a basic balance on those.

I'd lend you the rims they are on, but those were a set I had a fight trying to get them balanced... The oems and the rubber came with the truck when I bought it in Feb, and I know they ran true.

19. Jul 8, 2021 at 7:29 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Whats up neighbor! I’ll have to watch for you driving around those tires look great.

tundras seem to be super finicky, some guys have these issues, some dont. I had heavy 35s on methods with no issues, but many guys weren’t so lucky.

maybe try swapping the tires front to back and make sure it isn’t a bad tire?

20. Jul 8, 2021 at 8:07 PM
    greentrbo95gst

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    That's a good idea. What part of HB are you in?
    I go to 602 every morning and live few blocks down from it.

21. Jul 8, 2021 at 8:15 PM
    Gravy

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:

LOL, I assumed I gave the same advice myself when I first replied to this post. That was always my first recommendation in the other threads I saw this same issue, rotate front to rear and see if the vibration follows the tires. Nice catch Hbjeff.

22. Jul 8, 2021 at 8:21 PM
    CamaroSsToTundra

CamaroSsToTundra New Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    I got 2018 Tundra 7 inch pro comp lifted. I had Nitto Mt tires before 35/12.50/20 and I had little vibration but it was not that bad at all. Now I switched from Mt to All terrain Falken wildpeak at3w 37/12.50/20 and ride is much smoother, quieter and no vibration at all.

BEBD95DC-AF89-4295-87C3-DF42597C095D.jpg

23. Jul 8, 2021 at 9:01 PM
    Gravy

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
  24. Jul 8, 2021 at 9:20 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    So I have in the past. This can be a rabbit hole that goes deep.

Depending on what media you use, this can work out great. I tried using the glass balancing beads and they seemed to clump up and never balanced good for me. I know people that have used the air soft pellets with great results.

Now I run centramatics and now my truck rides like it’s on glass (you can’t run them on Tundra trucks, so don’t waste your time looking).

I would do what others have said:

-check alignment by a 4x4 shop.
    -rotate tires. See if the vibration gets better or worse.
    -you could swap out the spare tire with every tire to see if one of the tires was in poor condition.
    -check for damaged shocks. That was the problem on my truck at 20k miles.

TheBeast and Hbjeff like this.
  25. Jul 8, 2021 at 9:33 PM
    Henry2019

Henry2019 N/A

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 CM CEMENT GREY
    3/1 Lift Kit 20X9 Fuel Assaults +1 295/60/R20 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
    Mud tires are the exact opposite of road comfort and smoothness.

Mr_Kane and Rodtheviking like this.
  26. Jul 8, 2021 at 10:05 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Crewmax Mid Travel
    Mid travel fox 2.5 coilovers 2.0 real shocks shims 295 70 18 trail grapplers pro accessories 32in light bar blacked out bed cover sway bar Moto metal 970 18x9
    I have copper at3s and mine have been doing this to

jmdaniel likes this.
  27. Jul 8, 2021 at 10:10 PM
    BroTun13

BroTun13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Beaumont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tundra SR5
    Thank you for the offer. I'm going try another highly recommend shop here soon and see what they can figure out with my existing setup. If that doesn't pan out I will hit you up

28. Jul 8, 2021 at 10:33 PM
    Gravy

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    Cool, good luck, and post on whether that shop turns out to be any good. I like my local 4x4 shop, but they are hit and miss in the alignment/balance area.

29. Jul 9, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    crewmaxlmt

crewmaxlmt How dare you!

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax Limited
    Not to hijack the thread but, my 2020 has a ton of feedback through the steering. My previous truck was a 2014 and it had none. The only difference is my 2014 had a spacer lift with 33's and my current 2020 has a 3/1 with 35's. I don't think that difference is enough to go from no feedback to feeling every bump in the road.

30. Jul 9, 2021 at 10:27 AM
    BlueRidgeTon

BlueRidgeTon New Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cavalry Blue SR5 Crewmax
    Toytec/Eibach 2.5 lift kit. JBA UCA's. Toytec Shackles. Icon vector 5s BFG KO2's 285/75/17
    I had the same issue when I had my new wheels and tires (BFG KO2 and icon vector 5s) installed. After getting the tires balanced three times with no new results I went and had my tires road force balanced. The shop found through the road force balance that I had a tire that was out of round and a wheel that was cast out of spec. Had the tire replaced under warranty which fixed almost all the vibration. Just waiting for the wheels to come off backorder for warranty replacement.

Products Discussed in

To Top