1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VHF/UHF Radios

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Baller, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Feb 16, 2021 at 11:08 AM
    chunk

chunk New Member

Member:
    110 miles north of Los Angeles, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    SR5 2001 Tundra, original owner
    Bone stock
    What can you tell me about the HF antenna mount? Looks like the tailgate still closes. Nice.

2. Feb 16, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    Mr. Moto

Mr. Moto SPIDERMAN, my 2019 Tundra TRD Sport-PRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Eastlake, OHio
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Sport (converted to PRO)
    TRD Pro Shocks (Fox 2.5 internal bypass w/ external reservoirs all around), TRD Pro dual exhaust; Nitto LT285/60R20, TRD off-road skid plates CBI Steel bumper, RC 20,000 lb. winch synthetic rope, BD S1 bush lights, rear floods.
    Hey Chunk,

The antenna mount is from Rago Fabrication and is made for 3rd gen Tundras. They make them for either side, specified when ordered. There is a video on the install also. I had to grind paint away on both my truck and the Rago bracket where the metal-to-metal contact is made, but it works great. And yes, its made to fit perfectly for using the tailgate as expected. I really like this particular mount and will get one for the other side after while. The bigger challenge was the stakehole mount since the bed rail cover snaps in and I had to use a really large and long pair of needle nose pliers which I fortunately already had from Harbor Freight Tools. You pry it up starting at the taillight and work your way to the front of the bed using the long pliers to squeeze the locking tabs as you go. Since my radio has two antenna jacks, one for HF and another for VHF/UHF, I will probably replace the stakehole mount with the right taillight mount from Rago. I am curious though about retaining the stakehole mount and installing a custom whip style for HF that would make use of both mounts on the left side (or the right side) where the whip would function like a horizontally polarized dipole. I would then use the ATAS-120A for VHF/UHF and maybe blend things up with a combination duplexer and coax switch. Here is the link for the Rago mount:

chunk likes this.
  3. May 27, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Third Member

Member:
    Where my wheels stop rolling
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Tonto cover
    @Sunnier Here's some mounting solutions I looked at when I was sorting out my navigation.

Sunnier likes this.
  4. May 27, 2021 at 9:15 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Thanks, Des!

des2mtn[QUOTED] likes this.