1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VF Tuning / OV Tune - revived thread

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by pnw.tundra, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Feb 19, 2023 at 4:03 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Might as well drive to Kansas! :rofl: No, that’s awesome though. Day trip!

2. Feb 19, 2023 at 4:21 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    He may have someone else closer that he could suggest. I think he works with a crew.

ZPMAN and TruckyTruck[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Feb 20, 2023 at 11:50 AM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black Crewmax Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road Premium
    If you read each file, it also shows the gears and, the new tune pack he gives also has files for tires as well.

4. Feb 20, 2023 at 11:54 AM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    Same, I replied asking about the tune pack and these options but this is what Mat has said:

upload_2023-2-20_14-51-58.jpg

Now This "Apply enhance rom patch" doesn't appear on his tune pack tune, so I don't really understand how updating a factory file then flashing the tune pack will do anything, but once I have a better understanding of this whole thing I'm thinking to make a HOW TO post to save many other confused peoples.

5. Feb 20, 2023 at 1:01 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I thought that the ROM stuff was only for 2016 and newer trucks (more ECU memory). I'll see if this does anything for my tune when I get home this eve.

6. Feb 20, 2023 at 1:04 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    Might want to reach out to his support, mine is a 2021

7. Feb 20, 2023 at 2:15 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    I paid for TIS, and the website is down, Toyota support said a day or so, not a big deal, but once I can login into techstream, starts the adventure, I want to update the ecu myself, less dealer touching the better.

TruckyTruck likes this.
  8. Feb 20, 2023 at 3:24 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Ok, yep it took me a bit to see that. But I did have to go in and manually adjust for my tire size. My truck is running and shifting exceptionally. I do hope he will continue to work towards getting the gear lock and direct shifting worked out for 2nd gens. But after filling up with 87 vs 93 for the first time since the beginning of 2019, I was pretty damn happy!

Vr0ck and MrJimmyPenguin[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Feb 20, 2023 at 3:30 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Man… I have such a bad memory. I had forgotten that I’ve posted some info that I needed in this thread a while back.

the other thing I noticed was how the truck did in 4low. Not sure why I decided to test it, but threw it in 4 low and climbed up my hill behind the house. It felt a whole lot better than it had before. No cutting power and so on. I’m no 4 low expert, but it is better than the previous version I had flashed to the truck

MrJimmyPenguin likes this.
  10. Feb 20, 2023 at 5:31 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    "Enhance ROM" is greyed out on my tune. I'm pretty sure that that functionality doesn't apply to the Gen 1 ECUs.

I think that it's pretty standard for VFT's tunes to have those stock throttle restrictions disabled.

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 21, 2023 at 8:20 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    We'll see if its still grayed out on the new tune pack, once I get it from Mat. I finally updated my ECU, which is good news once you download the correct .CUW file, you can use the VFTuner dongle to update your ECU with the factory Toyota file.

IMG_6912.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

IMG_6920.jpg

The sad part is now the truck is back to stock tune, and wow does it suck compared to what was there from VF. I did confirm I was able to patch a factory file for (my truck being 30CU6001) with the EROM, and have confirmed with Mat He needs to send me an updated Tune Pack, which once I get I'll see if it'll let me patch and then flash. I'm aiming for factory tire size/gear (stock) 87oct with max torq downshift and EROM 1.2. I'm hoping after this tune I won't really need to update the truck for a few years until some new HUGE change happens. I don't really like having to flash and flash to update but this isn't too bad so far.

Yes I paid for TechStream 17.30, its $65 USD for a 2 day pass, other wise, dealer update needed. Google is your friend :anonymous:

12. Feb 21, 2023 at 8:32 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Looks like you're on the right path. :thumbsup:

13. Feb 21, 2023 at 8:34 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I'm sort of just posting things as they come, for the next person whos googling away helpless in the pits of no information on VF lol.

TruckyTruck and Wynnded[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Feb 23, 2023 at 11:19 AM
    HewittTech01

HewittTech01 Dont Replace SAIS, Bypass It!

Member:
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Secondary Air Injection System Bypass Kit
    As mentioned in my email response the Gen 1 Bypass Kit prevent the SAIS from operating by manipulating the IAT and ECT temperatures at start up. That said it may be interfering with your Tuner. Our most recent version the Gen 2 Bypass Kit actually emulates the SAIS system without changing those temperatures. This would be our recommended solution for anyone also using a tuner with the Bypass Kit.

15. Feb 23, 2023 at 5:17 PM
    FitsofRage88

FitsofRage88 real eyes realize real lies.

Member:
    Hill Country, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 FFV CM (3URFBE) 2Gen
    Blackhawk(0CU00) Working on it!
    I see now on the newer 1.7 vF tune version allows the ROM Patch to be applied, have waited awhile now for the features being a novice..
    S mode gear lock 1.2
    S mode custom shift tables
    Direct shift

A7D46BB5-58F9-4818-B687-E174B1FC363F.jpg

TruckyTruck likes this.
  16. Feb 23, 2023 at 6:02 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I've only gotten as far as the one read through of your email, thanks by the way. I have next week off, so I'll be following your testing suggestions then in an effort to narrow down if that's truly what's making things act all strange. :fistbump:

17. Feb 23, 2023 at 6:06 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Nice! I wonder if any of those are going to be able to be made for the less ROM endowed ECUs.

TruckyTruck likes this.
  18. Feb 23, 2023 at 6:45 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:

I'm Jelly!!!

I'm waiting for Mat to speak to his cal dev to get me the new tune pack for the new ECU version as Toyota had that update for me truck, What year is your tundra? Hows the direct shift and others working out? I see you are also using the premium fuel option (rich guy) did you try the normal 87 as well or just go right to the top premium?

TruckyTruck likes this.
  19. Feb 23, 2023 at 7:26 PM
    FitsofRage88

Member:
    Hill Country, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Straight to premium always bud, I just updated to the newer version of vFtuner1.7. Have not tested it out just yet. This weekend I’ll give it some play.. vFtuner software has some glitch, slow from what I can tell simply when opening files other times I’ll have to go and re select same file for it to open up normally as it should in the first place. As far as I can tell all that I see for the patch is S mode and I’m running a 2019 Tundra boss!…

20. Feb 23, 2023 at 7:28 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    The slowness is the anti copy is my guess, I read somewhere someone stole code from VFTuner before so now its got some crazy checking going on, but nice keep us updated how it runs!

TruckyTruck likes this.
  21. Feb 23, 2023 at 7:44 PM
    FitsofRage88

Member:
    Hill Country, Texas
    Vehicle:

Yes sir, needed too ask if any of the tune packs mat provided in the past if any have been modified or edited and if so, I would like to just verify if any have been revised since then if possible ..

TruckyTruck likes this.
  22. Feb 23, 2023 at 8:07 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    Email his support, expect an instant to 10 day wait on answer lol, jk (only slightly) He isn't the fastest in replies.

TruckyTruck likes this.
  23. Feb 24, 2023 at 3:58 AM
    mZiggy

mZiggy Honey badger; VFPro licensed; YotaWerx Tuning

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5-CM; 2020 4R TRD Pro; 2008 4R SR5 v8
    I'd mentioned in the SC thread before, a few weeks back, but the gearlock EROM is for 2018+. And it does work properly, we (YotaWerx) helped test it when in development.

He confirmed it'll eventually be added for 2007-17

FitsofRage88, TruckyTruck and Wynnded like this.
  24. Feb 24, 2023 at 10:41 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    What’s up man! That’s awesome. Does the direct shift work as well? I suppose you will know before a lot of us if the GL and DS work for 2nd gen trucks. I’ve been waiting a long time for this to happen. Would you mind keeping us up to date on this thread if it comes available?

azTony and Wynnded like this.
  25. Feb 25, 2023 at 5:06 AM
    mZiggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    Sure, I'll try to remember to do so.

It works on my 2020.

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] and Wynnded like this.
  26. Mar 17, 2023 at 11:17 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    Flashed my 2021 with the 1.2 patch and seems all works, Gear lock etc... it was odd flashing the tune this time made the truck throw a bunch of codes, I cleared them and no issues but just odd this time around, I blame toyota more so lol but I love the night and day difference with the tune pack from VF, missing the super charger soonish

Vr0ck likes this.
  27. Mar 18, 2023 at 4:53 AM
    azTony

azTony member since sept, 2017 and over 1,600 messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    Works on my 2018

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Mar 18, 2023 at 4:54 AM
    azTony

azTony member since sept, 2017 and over 1,600 messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s
    You said Gearlock etc. , what else does it have?

29. Mar 18, 2023 at 12:21 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    Direct shift looks to be working, general usability all great, everything promised looks delivered, I noticed a few more tables available to configure, I don't know if any more features were promised or if there is anything left on his roadmap but I'm happy for now.

Vr0ck likes this.
  30. Mar 18, 2023 at 12:26 PM
    mZiggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    Future custom EROM includes a complete overhaul of AFR control.

YotaWerx Tuning regularly assists VF with testing custom patch features in dev, and most recently that included the Gearlock you're trying out, and that custom AFR feature on the 4Runner which will eventually make its way over to other vehicles

Products Discussed in

To Top