1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VF Tuning / OV Tune - revived thread

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by pnw.tundra, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Feb 19, 2023 at 12:47 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Oh, I remember what it is now. I wasn’t sure, since he sent me a stock/newest file, how to adjust for the tire size before I flashed the program to the truck.

2. Feb 19, 2023 at 12:55 PM
    MrJimmyPenguin

MrJimmyPenguin Penguined

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black Crewmax Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road Premium
    I know with the tune pack, when I purchased it he sent me a few files with 4.88/5.29 and 33/35/37 and every combo of those gear/tires as files. I just heard back from him, I'll need to update my ECU with techstream which I might just show up to the dealer to do, then after updating the ecu I can reflash the tune again.

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:11 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Hmmm. Maybe he did that for me. I’m on the laptop now looking at it, but realized I need to go out and get the obd2 to be able to get into the program

4. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:25 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    660E274F-9CA1-4543-8EF0-AC6CF39144DD.jpg
    I’ve got the memory of a squirrel, but now remember torque modifier tune is the one I will load, but I think I have to adjust it for my tire size, which I’m not certain how to do.

5. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:44 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Are you going to want the 87 octane, or the 91? And what tire size are you currently running?

6. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:44 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I’m just not sure if I am supposed to flash the 87.vfc to the ecu, then go back and flash the 87torquemodifier.vcu to the tcu secondly.

the flash program has the option to flash the ecu or the transmission.

7. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:45 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I’m wanting to go back to the 87 and my tires are technically 34.5 inch.

8. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:48 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    When I load the torque modifier and click on tire size, this is what comes up
    9F1FD33D-0609-4BC6-89C9-8385CE126C44.jpg

9. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:50 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    You don't have to flash anything first.

That only applies to the Tacomas, the Tundras don't have the ability for flashing the engine/trans separately.

You will be wanting to flash 87_torquemodifier

10. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:51 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    So I suppose I need to enter the radius of my tire size, not diameter. 17.25?

11. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:51 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Ok! Good deal, I was thinking I’ve never flashed anything twice with the old program.

12. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:52 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    You'll want to change that to 17.25, the radius of a 34.5 inch tire.

13. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:54 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Ya, then save it. The program may change it slightly, but it will still be close enough.

14. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:56 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Ok, perfect. Thank you! I’m ready to flash I believe…

15. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:58 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Just hope I don’t get arrested…. For flashing my truck :rofl:

sorry couldn’t help dumb joke

16. Feb 19, 2023 at 2:03 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Just don't let your wife catch you....

17. Feb 19, 2023 at 2:06 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Shhhhhhhh

there was one other part I wanted to adjust before I do this and I’m having trouble finding it. There is a way to stop the ecu from reading that there is ethanol in the fuel or at least limit it. Any ideas?

18. Feb 19, 2023 at 2:09 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I have no idea, my truck isn't FFV and won't even have those tables.

19. Feb 19, 2023 at 2:14 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Ok, thanks. I found it for anyone else wondered
    1292ADAE-396C-4C37-8A94-68D03CEAA8D6.jpg

Wynnded[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 19, 2023 at 2:26 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    When I look at that part of my tune, it shows Cruise Control settings....

21. Feb 19, 2023 at 2:29 PM
    CMaxxx

CMaxxx New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 CMaxxx 4x4
    So is anyone offering tunes for my ‘21 5.7L?

22. Feb 19, 2023 at 2:41 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
  23. Feb 19, 2023 at 2:45 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Oh really? Are you joking…. Lol

hey man, thank you so much for the help today! I really am grateful. I was able to flash without getting arrested and took a test drive. The truck shifted perfectly idles and runs so smoothly. And…. Now my s mode works!!!! I haven’t been able to use it all this time because I kept thinking mat was too to fix my tune. But when I spoke with him, he said every tune developed was based off of my dyno runs and testing from that day (sorry if your truck runs bad :rofl:) so why wouldn’t I want to use them. Anyway, the other best part is that I went from a 93 octane tune down to an 87 octane… all these last 3 years of 93 was a bummer on the bank account!

thanks man!

24. Feb 19, 2023 at 2:53 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    You're welcome! That's awesome to hear that it's running so good! I'm looking forward to trying my tunes again after I verify that I have my glitch sorted.

And yep:

upload_2023-2-19_15-48-54.jpg

25. Feb 19, 2023 at 3:11 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Interesting… I did not see any type of cruise control, but maybe it’s there somewhere. You have any idea where a guy could actually learn to adjust all these values? Or better left to a real tuner?

26. Feb 19, 2023 at 3:22 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    I know you are using hp tuners. Is your truck running well with the supercharger and that tune?

27. Feb 19, 2023 at 3:25 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    It's likely to be in a different location for your truck, dunno for sure. I, and I'm sure many others, have longed for something from VFT to guide the novice such as myself to understand what does what in a more lucid language, but I think that Mat has shifted to keeping things in the hands of experienced tuners. If there happens to be something more complex than tire radius ;) that you'd like to have changed, you might reach out to a real tuner like @mZiggy who is far more adept with the software and far more responsive than Mat.

28. Feb 19, 2023 at 3:28 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Oh nice, we got a tuner on the forum!

29. Feb 19, 2023 at 3:33 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Yes, I have a remote tune from ViktorG, who's not doing them for the foreseeable future unfortunately. HPTuner doesn't have all the transmission tables that VFT does though, so no Gear Lock or Direct Shift. My truck runs fabulous on Viktor's tune, there was just a little glitch that I have, but I think I have that figured out. Just need more time/miles to test. It had nothing to do with any tune that I've had from either tuner. I suspect that it was with my Secondary Air Injection System bypass, and I've just finished an email to them to see what they have to say.

HewittTech01 likes this.
  30. Feb 19, 2023 at 3:37 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I know that TX is a big place, but I think he's base out of El Paso.

Products Discussed in

To Top