1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrading to Power Fold Mirrors

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by FatBrian, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Jun 23, 2020 at 4:43 AM
    pmfr67

pmfr67 New Member

Member:
    So Fl
    Vehicle:
    2007 CrewMax SR5
    Spotshooter, sorry not limited they are from a new 1794 Makoy339 is correct. my appoligies.

2. Jun 23, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    Spotshooter

Spotshooter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Limited DC TRD
    Ride-rite, cover kings, TRD skid plate, TRD sways, power tow mirrors, ... TBD
    yep

3. Mar 5, 2021 at 8:14 PM
    Murphy84

Murphy84 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Did this ever lift off the ground? 2019 SR5 here

4. Mar 22, 2021 at 4:34 PM
    Hobbesdsm

Hobbesdsm New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Vehicle:
    2016 crewmax limited
    TRD exhaust and rear sway bar, 2018 led headlights
    Did anyone ever figure out how to wire the up the puddle light on the limit model??

5. Apr 26, 2021 at 6:43 AM
    salvatore253

salvatore253 New Member

Member:
    Hello All!

I could use a fundamental explanation of how the wiring works as I'm trying to upgrade/add power-fold mirrors to my vehicle.
    I have a 2018 Sequoia SR5 (yes, I'm sorry for infiltrating a Tundra forum, yikes) which I believe are very similar to the Tundra 3rd gen.
    My vehicle has Heat/BSM currently.
    I purchased the 1aAuto kit which also includes power-fold, puddles, and blinkers. And I purchased the Toyota OEM switch which includes the power-fold button.

I've read all I can find on the How-To, but since most wiring/harnesses are different, the 'very-specific blue-wire-connects-to-green-wire' walk-thrus don't exactly translate.
    Can anyone give me a fundamental explanation of how the wiring for this upgrade is supposed to work?

Is this the basics of what I'm trying to do?
    - Power Fold - connect the two add'l pins on the power-fold Toyota switch button to the Fold+ and Fold- pins on the mirrors
    - Puddles - connect the Puddle+ pins on each mirror to the under-dash light power, and keep the Puddle- as the 'common' on the stock harness (no changes)
    - Power - no changes, the power that enables the Heat/BSM will actuate the add'l features
    - Blinker - no idea where/how this would connect?
    - Heat = no changes
    - Adjust = no changes
    - Memory = not enabled, not a goal/interest

Is that the basics of it? And everything else is just a matter of running the wires and adapting pins in the harnesses/connectors?

I don't mind putting in the time on this upgrade, but not if I'm completely aimless.
    Thanks again for any advice!

6. May 14, 2021 at 9:41 PM
    YBUYAV8

YBUYAV8 New Member

Member:
    Did you ever get this figured out for your sequoia?

7. May 14, 2021 at 11:11 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    In my signature is a link to the wiring diagram thread. I don’t have the sequoia specifically, but you can look at the Tundra ones and get an idea. Also go to my build thread (also on my signature) - I recently added this to my Tundra and have an updated wiring diagram for the power folding. It does not cover the puddle lights because my mirrors don’t have them, but between it and the EWDs you should be able to piece together which pins at the mirrors and at the switch control which functions

8. May 31, 2021 at 9:53 PM
    YBUYAV8

YBUYAV8 New Member

Member:
    Perfect, thank you so much!

RainMan_PNW[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 13, 2021 at 6:34 PM
    ljburns

ljburns New Member

Member:
    I did this about 5 years ago. I used mirrors that I purchased 1A Auto. They are now opening and closing very slowly or not at all. Checked the voltage to the mirrors and all is good.

Now I’m in the market for new mirrors. Does anyone have a recommendation on a brand or a lead on OEM mirrors for a 2014 Tundra?

10. Jul 13, 2021 at 7:16 PM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    Check @RainMan_PNW build. He went with Boost Auto Parts and if you like the GM style they are one of the better options quality wise. They are priced about the same as the OEM if you get comparable options. The benefit is, they also have many additional options and you get to customize the mirrors to your want.
    Otherwise, many threads on other tow mirrors members have found. Good luck :thumbsup:

ljburns[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jul 14, 2021 at 2:45 AM
    ljburns

ljburns New Member

Member:
    thanks. I’ll take a look at the post. I really don’t want tow mirrors, but am open to the idea. To be honest, I want mirrors that are well built. And I don’t want to get another set from 1A Auto since they said their warranty is voided by adding their mirrors a truck that wasn’t originally equipped with the same options.

12. Jul 14, 2021 at 4:04 AM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    That’s a pretty dumb policy considering no Tundra comes off the lot originally equipped with tow mirrors.

13. Jul 14, 2021 at 4:30 AM
    ljburns

ljburns New Member

Member:
    I switched out the standard non-power folding mirror on the limited to a power folding mirror, but not tow. I had to add a switch and wiring to get the power fold option (and puddle light) to work. That is the hang up on their end. The mirror itself was not molested and the connections are all OEM. I just added a few pins on the truck side. Not sure how they get away with this, but it is what it is. I don't want to argue with them, so I will just spend money with someone else.

I really just want the mirrors to fold in and out like they did when I installed them 5 years ago. Right now they are only folding in. I have to use my hand to help them fold out. I checked the voltage to the mirrors and they are getting 13v with the truck running. I really think something is binding internally. I would take them apart and check it out, but I can't figure out how to get into them.

Uhhhh....[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jul 14, 2021 at 5:15 AM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    I added oem folding tow mirrors to my limited about a year ago. Passenger side has been perfect, but driver side was never quite right. Sometimes it’d work, sometimes it’d fold partway, sometimes not at all & you’d have to move it gently with your hand like you’re saying. Finally got around to replacing it yesterday, but new one did exact same thing … so time to rewire the driver side unfortunately.

15. Jul 14, 2021 at 5:35 AM
    ljburns

ljburns New Member

Member:
    Do me a favor (I know a strange dude is asking for a favor) before you rewire, check to make sure you have power making its way to the mirror. It is pin 7 and 8. I had to use a couple pieces of wire to get a good connection for the voltage meter since the tips were too fat to go in deep enough. You should get a stable measurement (+) for one direction and (-) in the other.

I am starting to wonder if the switch is the issue. You and I have having the exact same issue with different brands of mirrors. My driver folds in very nicely, but struggles to open, if it opens at all, and I verified it is getting power. I don't know how the switch works, but maybe it is sensing some resistance and shutting off power to protect the motor. Maybe that sensor is getting a bit touchy.

I read another post that someone was having issues with the power fold. They tore the mirror apart to get to the motor and discovered it was actually the computer board in the mirror causing the issue, not the motor.

Uhhhh....[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jul 14, 2021 at 6:10 AM
    ljburns

ljburns New Member

Member:
    I just purchased a new switch for $8 on Amazon. It is the same one that RainMan_PNM used. It is worth $8 to try out the theory.

17. Jul 14, 2021 at 7:45 AM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    The basic power fold switch, like was used in the non-memory Limited Gen 2, is just a basic switch. It reverses polarity of the +/- based on position of the switch. The motor, near as I can tell, has other wiring/components that cut the signal when it reaches the limits of travel so that it doesn’t keep trying to run.

So, you can try a new switch, but if you’re getting actuation in one direction but not the other, I’m doubting it’s the switch. Likewise, that also means your wiring to the connector at the mirror should also be good (otherwise you’d not be getting it to move in either direction). That will leave you with the mirror itself.

Now, as for @Uhhhh.... if your driver’s side I’ve had never been quite right, that would be a case where I’d be checking wiring first and working from there. The switch is passing the signal and then the wiring is spliced to go to each mirror, so there’sa chance the wiring to your drivers side is shorted or not spliced well.

Uhhhh.... and ljburns like this.
  18. Jul 14, 2021 at 7:57 AM
    ljburns

ljburns New Member

Member:
    So the question is... how do I break into the mirror housing of an 1A Auto Sideview Mirror? I can't even figure out how to get the mirror off, and I can't find anything on The Google.

19. Mar 6, 2022 at 11:11 AM
    hllacea20

hllacea20 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johan
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM Tundra
    BAMuffler
    I got the power fold tow mirrors from top gear. Works great. Only issue is that it folds until it hits my door. Anyway to adjust this so it stops before it hits my paint?

WFD473 likes this.
  20. Jun 29, 2023 at 11:40 PM
    Rsolano87

Rsolano87 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randolph
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra limited TRD OFF ROAD
    Stock
    what was the easiest way to crack it open to swap them?

21. Aug 1, 2023 at 5:50 PM
    Tushie

Tushie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tushar
    Vehicle:
    2018 tundra limited
    I have a 2018 limited. I added power folding mirrors. Drivers side bsm lights up but passenger side doesn't and hense I get the bsm error. Anyone figured out wiring diagram to get this to work, from what I know it's just the passenger side that needs to repinned

Products Discussed in

To Top