1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrade JBL RSES stereo without losing factory functions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by googlydoodle, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Sep 4, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    googlydoodle

googlydoodle [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoffrey
    Vehicle:
    Lucy
    100% stock
    I have a Limited 04' double cab with the factory JBL and RSES (rear seat entertainment system [dvd player]) stereo. I want to put in a new head unit that has usb and aux inputs, but I dont want to lose the the dvd player function. I've heard that if you replace the factory radio with an aftermarket head unit you will lose the function of the JBL amplifier, rear dvd player and steering pad buttons. I also plan on installing my subs and all new door speakers ran by two seperate amps. If anyone has had this done or knows of any way around this please feel free to let me know. I'd apprectiate it.

2. Sep 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    U can get steering wheel controls....

3. Sep 4, 2014 at 2:53 PM
    googlydoodle

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoffrey
    Vehicle:
    Lucy
    100% stock
    I read up on some head units that have the harness that connects your steering wheel controls. But since the JBL stereo operates on a communication network, if you you replace the factory deck the JBL system including the dvd player will not operate anymore.

4. Sep 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    googlydoodle

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoffrey
    Vehicle:
    Lucy
    100% stock
    This attachment shows the wiring diagram. It shows how tx+, tx-, tx1+, tx1-, tx2+ and tx2- are the communication lines that I have to incorporate into the new setup. I need some type of module or something that can interpret the signals.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
  6. Jan 2, 2015 at 8:32 PM
    Scott A. Morgan

Scott A. Morgan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott M.
    Vehicle:
    2007 Metallic Slate 4X4 Unlimited
    Rigid Industries SR-Q back up light kit, Pair SR-Q2 custom mounted bottom front grill, 2,700 Watt RMS ALPINE SYSTEM w/ 2-13.5 JL Audio 13w6's, Polk Monitor separates front + Polk 6.5 Coax in rear door.
    Hey this is kind of a late reply but an Audiocontrol LX8 can take all the signals outputs from your jbl amplifier and give you a solid combined stereo signal with multiple output channels that are adjustable with an additiona aux in line also with its own adjustiment nob to balance input as well. It worked for me although I didn't hook up any dvd player. So I have a stock jbl 7 disc player with two alpine pdx series amplifiers, a 15 farad digital cap by Stinger, 2 jl audio 13.5 13w6's and two pair of Polk Mobile Monitors and an epicenter by audiocontrol. Complete control of any input I need or need in the future. Clarity is un compromisable! Hope this my help!

Products Discussed in

To Top