1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UPDATE: Stay away/beware of Dallas paint correction (DPC) Shield ceramic coating

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Pudge, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Aug 14, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    Have you tried removing any of yet?

2. Aug 14, 2019 at 7:56 PM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Nope, I have just noticed the spots appearing over the last few days. I have a feeling in a week or two it's going to look awful. Idk when I'll have the time to polish the truck again, the sooner the better though. Winter creeps up quick around here and I need to get it all re done. Ugh

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  3. Aug 14, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    Will anything cut it off, wax & grease remover mineral spirits etc.

15whtrd likes this.
  4. Aug 14, 2019 at 8:00 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Not sure, I havent tried anything yet other than my detailing spray, which is carpro ech2o, but I know polishing will work. As bad as this product is, it may come off with a wash with some APC or degreaser or dawn, I'll try a few things on Saturday i think.

15whtrd likes this.
  5. Aug 14, 2019 at 8:01 PM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Good luck buddy, I’m sorry this has happened.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 14, 2019 at 8:07 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate it. Live and learn. Maybe it's a sign I'm not ready for self installation of a coating lol. I know its definitely a sign that if you're gonna do something....do it right. If I ever do another try i will be using carpro cqz uk 3.0

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  7. Aug 14, 2019 at 8:50 PM
    What the!?

What the!? New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Pro
    Wow. Sucks to hear. Thanks for falling on the sword for everyone else.

I was about to order some based off his videos but I’m glad I didn’t. I wonder if he’s been having the same issues with other people. He hasn’t posted a new video in About a month.

GODZILLA and Pudge[OP] like this.
  8. Aug 14, 2019 at 8:52 PM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Considering this, and your unused product kicking off in the bottle, I'd say someone's chemistry was off on the batch you ended up with....
    :facepalm:

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Aug 14, 2019 at 8:57 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah he has gone silent on Shield pretty much and even his first few videos were not very detailed and never showed completed results, and has not tested the durability at all.
    If you want a ceramic coating go with carpro cquartz 3.0, it's the flagship coating and I know a few guys who used it and love it. And it's very affordable compared to other brands.

driverdog and What the!?[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Aug 14, 2019 at 9:09 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I hope for the sake of all the other people who purchased this, that it's just a bad batch, or better yet a single bad bottle. I have a feeling I'm not the only one, based on my email interactions but I can't prove anything and I am being blamed for the failure of the bottle i used. I applied it and stored it exactly as directed, and some of you know me and know how OCD I am about detailing my truck. Their latest excuse is that using reload or hydro2 is what caused the failure because they are not compatible with shield and caused it to break down and fail. That doesnt explain the bottle that looks like a 2nd grade science experiment in my cabinet. Oh and the towels I got from scott (luxury microfiber) are terrible, they shed lint like crazy even after proper washing. I shared the issue with the towels shedding like a dog in August, and they say that is because I used reload over shield and that makes the paint "grabby", I didn't tell them the towels were grabby, I told them they are falling apart and leaving lint on my truck, they said that is grabby....putting words in my mouth that make no sense.
    Anyway, this guy scott is a YouTube clown, who used his YouTube following to rip off a lot of people. He had a cult following that wouldnt say a bad thing about him, even if they had the same issues I do, they make excuses for him just like he does.

11. Aug 14, 2019 at 9:23 PM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Yeah, I know you well enough through interactions here that you wouldnt put anyone on blast about their product unless it was totally warranted. :thumbsup:

The chemistry* on these coatings is real similar to some of the sealer products my company makes. From the little info I can find on how theyre made, it seems they must use some moisture reactive silicones in the formula to help polymerize. If you don't have enough solvent in the formula, these siloxanes will literally turn the coating to jelly from the moisture in the air. I have heard stories of drums of material turning to jell-o because the formula was off by just a little, or even just blended improperly...

That's freaking BS on the towels. Microfiber should be top notch for car care, period.

*not a chemist

12. Aug 14, 2019 at 9:23 PM
    Ckpetrone

Ckpetrone New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2015 Challenger
    The smudge marks on the first pics are typical of what you see when you don't take the product off, It has happened to me with a couple of times. Not compatible with some other product is bullshit the stuff in the bottle turned to sludge.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  13. Aug 14, 2019 at 9:30 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Wow very cool angle in this, nice to have that kind of knowledge here. I can definitely see that even the smallest mistake during manufacturing could compound into a big problem with the final product.

14. Aug 14, 2019 at 9:34 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking that those areas may be "high spots" which is very possible that I didn't level it in certain areas. It's odd to me that they are just showing up now, again there is a chance I just hadn't noticed them before. And the hood is starting to show small spots too. The one in the picture is the worst of them all.....so far anyway. It almost feels like I could scratch it off with my fingernail, but I can't.

15. Aug 14, 2019 at 9:35 PM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Haha I know just enough to get me in trouble :D
    As soon as I read that it turned to jelly I had a pretty good idea you probably had a boogered batch though. The only other explanation for that would be exposing the product to astronomically high humidity and/or temperatures, and I know that didn't happen here...

16. Aug 14, 2019 at 9:46 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Here it is. Was only opened to put some on applicator, then capped, and so on while I did the coating. Put the red cap, then black cap back on. Put it in a paper bag and stored it inside a cabinet in my air conditioned house.
    I poured some into a plate, it's like slime with some hard crystals in it. Also I just shook the hell out of it and took that last picture. This is only a couple months old. It was opened to air maybe a few minutes total while opening and closing it to apply to the applicator for 2 coats. My loss, and hopefully someone will see this and save their money

20190815_003654.jpg
    20190815_003715.jpg
    20190815_003822.jpg
    20190815_004031.jpg
    20190815_004004.jpg

MotoTundra and Sas like this.
  17. Aug 14, 2019 at 9:48 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    The tiny crystal looking things are kind of what some of the areas on my truck look. Almost like flaking clear coat but not as obvious. Also some small dots that look like air bubbles but that are hard and can't be scraped off with my fingernail

18. Aug 14, 2019 at 9:51 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I was trying to think if maybe I did leave it out or opened, but I just know I didn't, I was very methodical with my application and storage techniques. When I was applying it , the weather was hot and humid, but not too hot, low 80s. Any hotter and I wouldn't have been doing it lol. I appreciate your insight here

19. Aug 14, 2019 at 9:55 PM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Happy to help!

Ive stored my products in my garage here in Texas and not had crystallization that bad....
    Something fishy going on with that coating for sure sir.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  20. Aug 14, 2019 at 9:58 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I sent pics to DPC and explained the issue. I honestly was expecting them to say, they would send me a new bottle, I really did. I was taken back by their response and accusations that I sabotaged the bottle and used it and stored it improperly. I mean they could have said its possible I got a bad bottle, or that I did something wrong, but sent another bottle anyway, just for good customer support reasons. I mean it's like $30. That would have been find with me and maybe I would have tried it again....maybe.
    Instead they blamed me, insulted me, and offered me 25% off my next DPC purchase, lol. They actually tried to get me to buy more stuff from them after having the coating fail and towels essentially unusable. That's just shit customer service.

I produce and sell maple syrup, if someone gets a bad bottle or batch, I replace it no questions asked, even if I know it went bad because they didn't refrigerate it.

21. Aug 14, 2019 at 9:59 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I always stored all my detailing products in my garage year round. I have since switched from a storage cabinet, to storage containers/cart that I can roll to the basement when it gets freezing cold or too hot

22. Aug 14, 2019 at 10:17 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    @Pudge
    I read thru some of this earlier this week and was hoping for a better outcome for you brotha! I can’t imagine having to deal with this!
    Like others have commented, I appreciate you sharing your experience.

I think about some of the other small business guys/groups on here that have stellar customer service like James at Tech12 and Keith at DD...if there’s ever an issue/question/ concern...whatever...they listen and intensely go out of their way to take care of their customers.
    Given the response you initially received about being your fault for doing it wrong and being so bold as to think you would buy from him again without first fixing the problem..........btw wtf?!?!?
    Bottom line, it tells you all you need to know about the guy.

Moving on...
    I’ve been thinking about jumping into the ceramic coating end of the detailing pool.
    Being that it’s still a relatively new product that has an ‘expected’ life of 3-5 years, depending on the product, use, etc., I worry about the effects in the later years.
    One option I’ve considered is first adding a PPF like Xpel first, then the CC.

I know it’s not cheap, but the in the long run, I think it offers much more protection and IF something did happen with the CC, you could (for lack of a better term), simply remove the PPF.

Just curious if you’ve considered or your thoughts on the idea?

23. Aug 14, 2019 at 10:24 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I have thought about PPF but its just out of my budget, even having a coating professionally installed isn't an option for me. I feel comfortable with my detailing skills that I can get this polished off and install a new coating if I choose to go that way. I, like Jason aka @War Machine has stated, may not be a good ceramic candidate because I like to wash my truck and try new products now and then. My paint is always clean and shiny and protected, a coating would make things a little easier and also help me through the long winters when I can't do much washing and detailing.

GAknight likes this.
  24. Aug 14, 2019 at 11:47 PM
    Ckpetrone

Ckpetrone New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2015 Challenger
    POst your site for the maple syrup please

25. Aug 15, 2019 at 2:43 AM
    Adam

Adam New Member

Member:
    Damn, with those hard deposits I would almost be scared to take a polisher to it. If they break free are they going to scratch the hell outta your paint?

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  26. Aug 15, 2019 at 3:01 AM
    yamabob

yamabob New Member

Member:
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited
    I used to watch Scott's videos all the time and have gotten a lot of good info from them. After reading through this, I just hit the "unsubscribe" button for DPC. I can't trust what he says anymore.

27. Aug 15, 2019 at 3:57 AM
    Brownsfanhere

Brownsfanhere New Member

Member:
    2015 Crew Max
    Just polish the whole truck and be done with it. Lesson learned sadly with DPC. He won’t be in business long imo. Can’t treat folks like poo and expect to make it in the long run. Kinda hope he fails cause he’s a know it all jerk.

28. Aug 15, 2019 at 4:28 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    For reference, I have a bottle of CQuartz that’s been sitting in my hot ass Texas garage for a year and a half. I grabbed it this morning to give to a coworker because he wants to try it out on his new truck.
    It’s still in brand new condition. Looks just like it did when I bought it.

29. Aug 15, 2019 at 5:22 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    That’s smart! You’re going above and beyond what most do, so the fact that you’ve had such a problem speaks more to the product than the user. But I think we’ve got that fact nailed down at this point :thumbsup:

30. Aug 15, 2019 at 5:24 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Sounds like the coating I’ll need to try then, because my lazy ass ain’t moving my detailing supplies inside.

Products Discussed in

To Top