1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UPDATE: Stay away/beware of Dallas paint correction (DPC) Shield ceramic coating

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Pudge, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Jul 10, 2019 at 6:29 PM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Thanks Ron. Definitely a lot of work but looks great as am end result.

War Machine and NewImprovedRon like this.
  2. Jul 11, 2019 at 5:01 AM
    Brownsfanhere

Brownsfanhere New Member

Member:
    2015 Crew Max
    I need to try some essence. Does it correct the paint much? Or just use a white pad to jewel the paint

3. Jul 11, 2019 at 5:58 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Looks beautiful Sean! Great work! I swear I’m gonna do this someday.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 11, 2019 at 6:04 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    It has some pretty decent correcting abilities with the right pad. I have tried it with a mf cutting pad, foam orange and black foam. With the black foam it was able to get minor swirls left from the cutting pad and compound. But itll do some pretty decent swirls with a mf or orange polishing pad

Brownsfanhere[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 11, 2019 at 9:38 AM
    Brownsfanhere

Brownsfanhere New Member

Member:
    2015 Crew Max
    Thanks for your reply. Gonna buy some soon.

War Machine and Pudge[OP] like this.
  6. Jul 28, 2019 at 2:42 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Update:
    I can no longer recommend this coating. I stored my leftover bottle according to directions and it has turned into a gel and separated and is useless. Scott is less than helpful and does not stand behind his products.
    I also found his towels to shed a ton of lint, even after washing correctly. I will now say that I discourage anyone from using any of his products. Stick with the real manufacturers and not some YouTube sellout.
    As for shield, He says unless its topped with DPC armour on a regular basis the coating will fail. Sounds a little like F11 to me. Its a joke and I hate scams so much, and I really hate sellouts even more. Stay away from DPC and luxerymicrofiber

For just a little more money you can get carpro cquartz lite or cq3.0
    Or any other reputable coating.

20190728_142051.jpg
    20190728_142101.jpg
    20190728_142238.jpg

Sas, MotoTundra, DalTee and 7 others like this.
  7. Jul 28, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    After a few emails exchanged, scott has been so gracious to offer me 25% my NEXT order. Lol. He is so full of himself he actually thinks I would buy anything from him again. Unreal. Poor product and poor customer service.

8. Jul 28, 2019 at 3:57 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Thanks for being honest Sean. The results looked great but the fact that they won’t stand behind it unless you use another one of their products religiously, means it doesn’t get the protection it says it does. For the moment I will stick to hand waxing in my typical regimen.

9. Jul 28, 2019 at 3:57 PM
    Voyagermike

Voyagermike New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    California
    Cant stand the guy. Wont support him or any of the other clowns on YouTube. Not all of them are bad but he's one of them.

10. Jul 28, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I admit that the shield coat that is on my truck looks great and is working find with hydro2/reload as a topper. It's very glossy, higher than some top end coatings. However i don't expect to get even 12 months out of it based on the fact the stuff in the bottle has already gone bad after 4 or 5 weeks of proper storage. Not to mention the awful towels I got from him. And he makes no effort to make anything better. Unfortunately he's a sellout, plain and simple.
    He tried turning the whole issue on me and put words in my mouth about my coating failing because i don't know what I'm doing. I never said my coating failed, just the leftovers have gone to goo, and the towels suck. I sent him pictures of the paint correction I just did on a 95 Chevy beater truck to show him that I do indeed know what I'm doing. He simply said good luck with other products that I like better. Asshole

11. Jul 28, 2019 at 4:04 PM
    owb2gp

owb2gp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    ID
    Thanks for the honest review @Pudge

I was going to buy some to use on my trim and black chrome exhaust tip. I'm just going to buy an Adam's metal ceramic wipe for my exhaust tip and call it a day. Next year I'll be buying a polisher and try some ceramic coating from CarPro.

Besides a few items I've decided to go CarPro and shine Supply only for my detailing supplies.

Voyagermike and Pudge[OP] like this.
  12. Jul 28, 2019 at 4:06 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I'm pretty much setting up for a carpro and shine supply future with a few optimum products in there too. Can't go wrong. And carpro cquartz UK 3.0 is very affordable and the cornerstone of ceramics IMO

13. Jul 28, 2019 at 4:08 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Spread the word on this YouTube scammer.

Its too bad that he has such poor customer support because the ceramic coating actually seems okay. But then again it's only been on a month and the leftovers look nasty so who knows. I may be having to polish my truck again before winter, ugh

14. Jul 28, 2019 at 4:19 PM
    Brownsfanhere

Brownsfanhere New Member

Member:
    2015 Crew Max
    Sorry you had to go thru this. I just put on Tac systems Moonlight on my truck last weekend. 9 month silica sealant. Coating more or less. Maintain it with wet coat during the 9 months. YouTube guy Forensic detailing suggested it. Really like his videos. Dallas guy is a jerk. And no customer service to boot. Go figure.

Pudge[OP] and Voyagermike like this.
  15. Jul 28, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    He really has some informative stuff in his videos, but he’s pretty arrogant. I’m not surprised with his response.
    The detailing industry is full of really great people, who stand by their product no questions asked. Companies like Carpro, Shine Supply, The Rag Company, Adams, Optimum, etc, offer service that you just don’t see in many other industries. You can truly tell that they take great pride in what they do, and their reputation. I can guarantee anyone of those companies I just listed would apologize profusely and replace or refund the product, without argument.
    You know what? All of those guys are bigger and more successful than Scott is, yet the owner of every one of them would pick up the phone and personally make things right for you. They got where they are by making customer service the first and only priority. He’s never going to get there. Like someone else said, his response is F11 territory.

@Pudge, I’d copy/paste your dialogue with him into the comments section of his YouTube video on this product.

16. Jul 28, 2019 at 5:13 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking about commenting on his YouTube videos. It's a real shame. Like you said, the other companies, even thought bigger than him, will go above and beyond to give personal service. I have had great luck with service from the rag co, carpro, waxaddict and shine supply. I will be sticking with what works from now on. This is what o get for giving someone an opportunity. Oh well, live and learn.

17. Aug 8, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    Ckpetrone

Ckpetrone New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2015 Challenger
    I just checked my bottle and called a friend who has the same thing and both ours are fine. I don't see how this could happen unless you stored it wrong . How old is it, I will be checking my bottle daily now to see if this happens to mine.

Black Wolf likes this.
  18. Aug 8, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Interesting first post....I stored it in my laundry room in a cabinet. the room is climate controlled so it has been 68-72° in there since I bought it. Also has been stored in a paper bag to keep light out, not that much light would get inside a cabinet. Also right after I used it on my truck I put the red cap back in. I purposefully took extra care storing it because I knew I would be using it again in a couple weeks. It was bought about 6 weeks ago, opened and used a few weeks after I got it and stored for about 2 weeks. Storage is definitely not the problem, I find it hard to believe no one else has had this issue, unless I got a bad bottle but I doubt it. I just went down a checked it, its completely a gelatin like solution now with lots of small crystal looking things in it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Sas and NewImprovedRon like this.
  19. Aug 8, 2019 at 7:40 PM
    escuzi_me

escuzi_me Shut up baby, I know it!

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White TRD Pro
    You made an account here just to say this as your first post?

Hahahahahellodpc

GODZILLA, Sas, FirstGenVol and 4 others like this.
  20. Aug 8, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I Thought it was kinda, sorta, very, extremely odd too

21. Aug 8, 2019 at 7:52 PM
    markg

markg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD
    I'm calling BS on this guy:anonymous:

Sas, NewImprovedRon and Pudge[OP] like this.
  22. Aug 8, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    Ckpetrone

Ckpetrone New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2015 Challenger
    I am doing a car again this weekend and I did a search on the coating so I could send the guy a full description of the product and this thread popped up first. It was like WTH when I read it since I have used it on like 5 cars so far. I don't want to use a product that is shit Is all. My bottle is still just fine and I keep it stored in my garage.

23. Aug 8, 2019 at 8:07 PM
    Ckpetrone

Ckpetrone New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2015 Challenger
    My bottle was delivered in July so I will post again if this stuff has some shit shelf life of a few months. Not sure if you said how long you had yours it would be interesting if this stuff after opened only lasted like a few months

24. Aug 8, 2019 at 8:18 PM
    Ckpetrone

Ckpetrone New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2015 Challenger
  25. Aug 8, 2019 at 8:20 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    My bottle is about 2 months old and was ruined at some point between week 2 and week 6 when it was being stored. It was opened shortly after I bought it, and I even took the time to recap it as I was using it. I made sure to put the red cap back in after i was done with my truck, and not store it in my garage where it can top 100° in the summer. I should have spent a little more on cquartz, this was a huge mistake. I have serious doubts that it will protect my paint for more than a couple months

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  26. Aug 9, 2019 at 4:41 AM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    This sucks. I've always liked Scott's videos, but never saw him as someone who had the means to branch out into his own product line. As War Machine stated, it's better to stay with established companies who stand behind their products, like McKees, Griots, Car Pro, etc. For Scott to offer you 25% off your next order is like getting food poisoning at a restaurant, and they offer you a free meal next time you come in.

27. Aug 9, 2019 at 5:13 AM
    Gotyour6

Gotyour6 New Member

Member:
    Fairport, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Pro
    Had me sold then I said nope.

Being new in the detailing world I am glad you mentioned the bad customer service

28. Aug 9, 2019 at 5:27 AM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
    Well, I thought he would be a stand up guy. Oh well. Thanks for trying it out.

29. Aug 14, 2019 at 4:55 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    So i have noticed some spots around my truck that feel weird. Almost like plastic to the touch and orange peel in appearance. I believe this is the coating failing. The whole hood is starting to look bad and I need to polish it out, likely the whole truck soon. The DPC shield has been topped with hydro2 and reload, I have never seen either of those result in blemishes that look or feel like this. Running a towel across the paint results in a very grabby feeling. This stuff appears to have failed and looks terrible in only a couple months time. Looks like I get to have more practice with my GG6 DA soon. I'm very unhappy with DPC. Their response is that I applied it incorrectly and did not top it with their sio2 spray and that all other sio2 sprays are "not compatible" with shield. Here is one of many spots I feel are coating failure
    Oh and the 1/3 of a bottle I had leftover, is now completely sludge and crystals, it was stored properly.
    I could care less about the money I blew on this. But the time and effort I put into paint correction is lost, I need to polish all over again to remove this crap, then reseal the truck before winter. Likely I will use powerlock or reload/hydro2. Then one day when I'm all grown up and can correct paint like i want it, itll get cquartz.

20190814_193931.jpg
    20190814_193958.jpg

30. Aug 14, 2019 at 4:56 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for the crappy pics. The areas look like smudges on the truck. But they are hard, dry, cloudy areas with what appear to be hardened bubbles in some spots.

Products Discussed in

To Top