1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Under running board puddle lights

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by smooosh, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Feb 5, 2018 at 11:02 AM
    smooosh

smooosh [OP] This place costs me too much $

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad Limited Crewmax.
    Ongoing project
    Has anyone added puddle led lights under your running boards. I'm thinking of adding them and was wondering what led lights you guys used.

2. Feb 5, 2018 at 11:16 AM
    NewImprovedRon

NewImprovedRon Hey! Get off my grass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    I added some led bar lights underneath my steps. They were the width of the drip edge where I mounted them.

IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_2902a.jpg

Patch999, Munk, mesaboogieman and 2 others like this.
  3. Feb 5, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    porkitt

porkitt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Pro Cement
    DAP Tune ESP Storage RCI Skids Fuel Vapor ABS Guards AVS Vent Visor FRAC Harness 50 Cal/Antenna X BFG KO2 HID Extra Light Bar White Knuckle Off Road Sliders BAK Industries Revolver X2 Oh Shit Handles Pop and Lock LED Internal and Reverse Lights LED Footwell lights Tuffy Storage Console organizers Viper Alarm and Remote Start
    @RowdyRon do you have a right up for this? Would greatly appreciate all the help. Thank you!

4. Feb 5, 2018 at 3:16 PM
    NewImprovedRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Sorry, Ian, I don't have a write-up. I installed the running board lights at the same time that I installed some bed lights and grabbed the power for all of them from the cargo light circuit underneath the driver side rear passenger scuff plate. The plastic scuff plate just clips on/off. When you pop it off you will see the wiring bundle that run in the channel underneath the scuff plate. The cargo illumination circuit wire is one of the smaller gauge wires in the bundle and was a dark grayish/brown in my 2015. You may have to test several of the wires in the channel to find the right one. Use half of a Positap (the end that straddles the wire you are tapping with the notch in it) to tap the wire and then use either a multimeter or test light to make sure you have the correct wire. You will know the correct wire when you test the one that provides power when the door is open and slowly cuts power when you push in on the door closure switch. The power will turn off along with your dome and cargo light, all at the same time. Once you get that found, you can mount your lights, mine have the typical 3M tape on the back side, where you want them. You will want to clean the location where you will be sticking them with some denatured alcohol and I heated the location with a heat gun before I put the light bars on to assure a good adhesion. You can attach your ground wires to any good ground point on the frame; I used the step mount bolts on mine after making sure they were good ground points. You can then run your two light hot wires on the passenger side to a single hot wire and run that over to the driver side. Place your wiring in split conduit and tape it every 1.5-2.0 feet to make sure the wiring stays in the conduit. Connect all your light hot wires to a single wire and route that wire up into the scuff plate channel under the rear driver side door. I used a fish wire inserted in one of the drip edge holes, taped my single hot wire to it, and pulled the single hot wire up into the scuff plate. I placed an in-line fuse (the cargo light circuit is 7.5 amps and that is what I used) in the hot wire before attaching it to the cargo circuit wire that we located earlier and used a Posi-tap to make the connection. Forgot to mention that you need to disconnect the negative battery terminal after you have found the cargo light circuit, but before you start connecting any wiring to the truck's electrical system. This will prevent you from blowing any fuses if a wire touches something it shouldn't. Make sure you use sufficient zip ties to secure the wiring/conduit you have ran underneath the truck. The new lights should come on when you open a door, unlock your truck with the key fob, or whenever you turn the light switch on in the cab. Hope that helps!

dsmith13, porkitt and gosolo like this.
  5. Feb 5, 2018 at 3:36 PM
    smooosh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ongoing project
    I plan on taping into the footwell light wires.

6. Feb 5, 2018 at 5:12 PM
    ccdawnpatrol

ccdawnpatrol New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 MGM CM 4x4 5.7L
    Here is a good thread to refer to. https://www.tundras.com/threads/3rd-gen-aftermarket-puddle-lights.18467/

I just installed mine last week, love em. Super simple. I was able to attach mine to the running boards and the wiring was very easy. I had help since I did not understand before that there one only one brown cargo light wire, haha. Anyways, I believe the link to order the lights is in there as well. $20 total for me ordering 6 lights + shipping.

831Tun likes this.
  7. Feb 5, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    porkitt

porkitt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Pro Cement
    DAP Tune ESP Storage RCI Skids Fuel Vapor ABS Guards AVS Vent Visor FRAC Harness 50 Cal/Antenna X BFG KO2 HID Extra Light Bar White Knuckle Off Road Sliders BAK Industries Revolver X2 Oh Shit Handles Pop and Lock LED Internal and Reverse Lights LED Footwell lights Tuffy Storage Console organizers Viper Alarm and Remote Start
    @RowdyRon Thank you Sir. I appreciate your time

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  8. Feb 5, 2018 at 5:26 PM
    smooosh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ongoing project
    Any reason not to do this?

9. Oct 16, 2018 at 3:55 PM
    Young80i

Young80i New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Garden Grove CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum
    Where did you buy that led? looking for the same style and color.

10. Oct 16, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    NewImprovedRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Hello, Kyle! I bought mine from Ebay. They are about 6" long and fit perfectly on the drip edge under the truck. Just go on Ebay and search for 6" LED light strips and plenty of options should pop up. Even though the LED's are yellow, they are white when lit. If you need more information, let me know.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  11. Oct 16, 2018 at 5:56 PM
    Young80i

Young80i New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Garden Grove CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum
    Thanks ill check it out..