1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unable to lock truck and set alarm; Intermittent problem

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Hubercats, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Feb 8, 2020 at 3:05 PM
    Hubercats

Hubercats [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tundra TRS
    Update: It would appear that the double beep sound I hear when I'm unable to lock/alarm my Tundra is the same sound that one hears when the key is in the ignition AND a door is opened (Note: Not the shrill, continuous alarm that manifests when one tries to lock the truck with the key fob while a door is ajar). As I first mentioned, when this problem arose I replaced the ignition switch thinking that might be the problem (it was also acting a bit sticky, if you will). Perhaps the problem is with the key system but not the key cylinder per se. I'm starting to think that key cylinder must engage with another switching mechanism and that that mechanism is where the problem is happening. Just a theory for now.....

2. Feb 8, 2020 at 4:29 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    There is a switch at the back of the cylinder

3. Feb 8, 2020 at 11:26 PM
    Hubercats

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tundra TRS
    @empty_lord: Thanks. I found a reference to the switch which seems to be aptly named the "Key unlock warning switch." Next time the problem occurs I'm going to see if repeatedly reinserting the key makes the problem go away. In the end, I suspect I'll just have to replace it but I'm curious.

empty_lord likes this.
  4. Feb 20, 2020 at 1:58 PM
    Hubercats

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tundra TRS
    Four days ago I disconnected the "Key unlock warning switch" and so far I've not had any problems, nor have I seemingly lost any important functionality. For obvious reasons the double beeps no longer occur when I open the door with the key still in the ignition. I'll provide an update should anything go awry in the future. Thank you all for your helpful hints. - Best - Jim

empty_lord likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top