1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ultimate SEQUOIA Wiring Diagrams Collection

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by RainMan_PNW, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Aug 8, 2022 at 12:44 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW [OP] SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    Some of you may be familiar with the Ultimate TUNDRA Wiring Diagrams Collection thread. Well, after a long wait, I finally managed to free up enough time to hunt down all the appropriate EWDs for the Sequoia as well.

The same general guidelines apply as the Tundra thread - this thread isn't to teach you how to read these, or to specifically answer any questions about how to do something with your rig. It is simply to provide a resource that can often be hard to find (I've got dozens of hours into searching for the same info myself). If you want some additional back-story, you can hit the link above and read the first post.

General Manuals and Info:
    Gen 1 (2001-2007) Sequoia:
    • 2001 Sequoia EWD - EWD441U
      • Includes all sections in the original book
        • A. Introduction
        • B. How to Use
        • C. Troubleshooting
        • D. Abbreviations
        • E. Glossary
        • F. Relay Locations
        • G. Location & Routing
        • H. System Circuits
        • I. Ground Points
        • J. Power Source Flow Chart
        • K. Connector List
        • L. Part Number of Connectors
        • M. Overall EWDs
      • 315 pages
    • 2002 Sequoia EWD - EWD474U
      • 315 pages
    • 2003 Sequoia EWD - EWD495U
      • 404 pages
    • 2004 Sequoia EWD - EWD541U
      • 404 pages
    • 2005 Sequoia EWD - EWD610U
      • 492 pages
    • 2006 Sequoia EWD - EM00Z0U
      • This is the first of the electronic-only EWDs, so the Intro documents have been removed (refer to those from the 2016-2021 EWD above, as the info is the same)
      • Includes System Circuits, Location & Routing, Fuse Lists, and Overall Diagrams
      • 451 pages
    • 2007 Sequoia EWD - EM03P0U
      • Includes System Circuits, Location & Routing, Fuse Lists, and Overall Diagrams
      • 458 pages
    Gen 2 (2008-2022) Sequoia:
    Gen 3 (2023+) Sequoia:
    • Saving space for now...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  2. Sep 21, 2022 at 10:38 AM
    toyotall

toyotall New Member

Member:
    Thanks for sharing the info. I really appreciate you.

RainMan_PNW[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 21, 2022 at 10:56 AM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    Thanks!

4. Oct 3, 2022 at 10:37 AM
    marcusmd82

marcusmd82 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra AC 4WD with SC; '02 Sequoia 4WD LTD
    Thank you for this! I joined this forum just to download my Tundra's EWD, and then I found this for my big tree.

5. Oct 13, 2022 at 3:30 PM
    Dodie

Dodie New Member

Member:
    Springfield garden
    Hello e30cabrio, if you dont mind can you help me to identify the wiring diagram for Sequoia 2011 limited as I am looking to install aftermarket Traction Control Push Button on it. or if you can help with some photo of your Sequoia 2013? appreciated

6. Oct 13, 2022 at 5:55 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    If you use the @ before someone’s name it tag’s them and they’re more likely to see the message. Or PM (private message) them.
    @e30cabrio

7. Apr 19, 2023 at 7:14 PM
    otrez

otrez New Member

Member:
    You are the best man these documents are very helpful and informative,
    I'm just struggling with finding more about OBD2 details such as type (HS CAN, GMLan, or single-wire can, etc.) and the speed of 2009 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 3UR-FE

8. Apr 19, 2023 at 8:26 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    Not sure I really know what that even means…
    :anonymous:
    Might be info you would need to get the factory service manual for, though I think most of that is going to be based on using TechStream to read from the OBD system.

@Jeff_5_7 might have some ideas

9. Apr 20, 2023 at 9:50 AM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCSB 2014+ TRD Pro Conversion 5.7 4x4
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    What exactly are you trying to do or what are you trying to read?

Toyota Sequoia uses Two wire HS-CAN at 500kbps for all most transmission.

otrez[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 20, 2023 at 12:55 PM
    otrez

otrez New Member

Member:
    I'm working on using an MCP2515 and Arduino board to read and send messages on the CAN bus. Jeff, I think you might know more about this since you retrofitted a newer interior to your 07 Tundra. I'm doing something similar, but adding new features like a control screen and dashboard to display information that's currently hidden in the BCM and ECM. I figured out this information using Toyota Techstream, and I plan to reverse engineer it to build a full system that can make my car smarter. My truck is an SR5 and doesn't have a screen, just an odometer on the cluster.

Thanks for the info, champ!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  11. Apr 20, 2023 at 4:00 PM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    If you reversed it using Techstream it is all on the OBD protocol. You ask for the data via an identifier and the ecu responds with the answer.

I used and arduino and can shield often to read or interact with the bus.

Do you have a list of variables you want to see/monitor?

12. Apr 20, 2023 at 4:06 PM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    Have you reversed the Techstream messages or are you planning to? I was just thinking if you didn’t know network speed, or could monitor the bus it would be hard to reverse the Techstream commands.

I have done some of this before. Once you get it setup it’s not hard or log the data

13. Apr 21, 2023 at 9:09 AM
    otrez

otrez New Member

Member:
    I'm planning on making this a long-term project to make Toyotas, especially Tundra and Sequoia, smarter. While I haven't yet finalized the list of variables, I'm thinking of including data from engine, trans, and body control statues that are not utilized except if you have Techstream which is disappointing why you record all these data and you don't use it. I haven't collected the variables yet because I haven't set up my hardware fully I'm missing the can shield, but for software I've found a Python application for reverse engineering and I'm planning on updating the code to suit my needs. Additionally, I have found other applications online that will help me in this purpose. I plan on reversing the Techstream messages and will definitely keep you updated on my progress. Thanks again for your help!

14. Apr 21, 2023 at 9:17 AM
    otrez

otrez New Member

Member:
    Main goals on this project are:
    1. Develop a mobile application to control the vehicle
    2. Combine everything together on a screen inside the car to control and view car's data and maybe replace the original cluster
    3. Learn more about can bus and maybe widen this project to include other manufacturers in future

15. Apr 21, 2023 at 2:55 PM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    If you are using Techstream commands this will all be done on the OBD protocol. I suggest you study this message format and structure. This is how all the apps like Torque and Obd fusion work. You would essentially just be doing the same thing the apps do. You pick a parameter by an identifier ID, then you as a specific ECU for the value. It returns with a response.

You can read CAN data from the streams broadcast by ECUs but it is not in the OBD format. This is data that the Engine ECU is always sending out and you can just see it without have to ask the ECU for it like in OBD

I have done both with an arduino and have a large database of log files and info on the CAN networks in Tundras.

16. Nov 6, 2023 at 9:26 PM
    ColoRADo Sick-oya

ColoRADo Sick-oya New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    Vehicle:
    01 Sequoia transformation from factory beater to beautiful overland beast
    2" OME suspension lift 285/70R17 rubber on Black Rhino Chamber Wheels, on-board compressor, Prinsu Sequoia Rack (not yet installed) & Coastal Offroad front bumper with Warn 103255 VR Evo 12-S winch, coastal offroad single swing rear bumper & Coastal Offroad sliders.
    I feel really uneducated and unspecial posting this question amidst these conversations about Techstream messages, custom application development and a host of acronyms I have yet to decipher, but I have a very simple wiring challenge, and I hope there's a workaround.

I have an '01 Sequoia, and my center dome light literally disintegrated when I took it apart to replace the incandescent bulbs with LED. I bought a replacement center dome light of matching color on eBay that said it was for Gen 1s: 2001 - 2007. Nope! It's got a 4-wire "female" harness (though I haven't asked it how it identifies, to tell the truth), and, coming in from the truck is a 3-wire male (again, without clarifying pronouns, which is likely hard to do with an inanimate object). It seems as though the functionality on both lights is the same: "on," "off," & "door." Can I just twist two of the wires downstream of the (presumably) female harness on the dome light, cut off that 4-wire harness, and connect it in 3-wire fashion to the to the old 3-wire female harness out of my disintegrated done light?

If so, which wires get bundled on the downstream side (in the light), and which of the 3 wires in the OG '01 3-wire female harness do I connect to which of the 4 wires (two singles and a new presumable bundled pair) in the light.

And, as this is my very first post on almost any forum ever, allow me to apologize. I'm exceptionally tired, but I really want to get this one "simple" project completed STAT!

Thanks in advance!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Nov 7, 2023 at 6:56 AM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    Posting up a couple pictures might help. That said, it looks like you got your hands on a 2005 overhead light. The 2005 and 2006 have the additional wire up there because they added a bunch more "amenities" in those rigs like rear entertainment, etc.

This is the wiring on the 2001-2004 rear dome light.
    upload_2023-11-7_7-53-46.png

While this is the 2005-2006 rear dome light
    upload_2023-11-7_7-54-51.png

I might recommend trying to find an overhead unit that is specifically for the 2001-2004 unit.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Nov 7, 2023 at 6:57 PM
    ColoRADo Sick-oya

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    Vehicle:
    2" OME suspension lift 285/70R17 rubber on Black Rhino Chamber Wheels, on-board compressor, Prinsu Sequoia Rack (not yet installed) & Coastal Offroad front bumper with Warn 103255 VR Evo 12-S winch, coastal offroad single swing rear bumper & Coastal Offroad sliders.
    Thanks so much for responding, RainMan! I was really hoping you wouldn't make that recommendation. It took me weeks to find that one! Plus, I actually got it back in March, so I can't return it even though the Seller posted the incorrect model year. I might just try to take the functioning parts out of the 2005-07 and replace the broken parts in the original 2001 from my vehicle and reinstall.

With that said, after doing a ton of electrical work on my house with my electrician friend, I really feel like there should be two wires in the newer model dome light that I could just combine into one and not lose any functionality. I can't tell you how many times I asked my electrician what to do when an outlet or switch box had more wires than my switch or outlet would allow. He would almost always say, "Just twist the two red wires together and install it just like the last one.

I wish the wiring diagram would outline the colors of the wires in any given model year(s) and what they're for, i.e. hot, neutral, ground. Either that or I wish I knew how to read wiring diagrams. I though they'd be a bit more self-explanatory for someone who's mechanically inclined and "smart."

Either way, the 2005-07 I wound up with has the same 3 lights (left, right, & center) with the same switch functionality (On, Off, and Door) as my 2001. I'm going to choose to believe there's a work around until all of you people who are obviously smarter and more well-educated in this stuff than I am tell me there's no way to modify the 05-07 and/or use it.

I'll take some pictures and post them here to make it easier for y'all to do just that.

Thanks, again!!

19. Nov 7, 2023 at 7:30 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    The diagram does outline the colors of the wires and their purpose, though that second part is a bit more obfuscated. You would need to follow the full diagram to see source and load to see fully what each wire is for. I can say that pretty universally in Toyota the white with black stripe is ground - in the case of the dome light that corresponds to the "ON" position on the switch (making them on all the time). In the dome lights here, the white wire is connected to the DOOR side of the switch, which then connects through the door position switches to trigger the dome. And the red wire is the power to the light.

Try this:
    connect the matching three wires from your 2001 to the same colored wires on the 2005-2006 dome light. Forget about the extra wire (green/red) on the new 4-pin connector. Even better if you can get the actual terminals out of the two connectors and then put the three terminals from your rig into the newer connector (in the same positions). I'm willing to bet it will work perfectly - it looks like the extra wire is there to connect between the front and rear sets of lights in specific configurations on the newer rigs.

20. Nov 13, 2023 at 8:50 AM
    ColoRADo Sick-oya

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    Vehicle:
    ColoRADo SIck-oyaThe old harness has Black, Yellow and Green wires. The new harness has Black, Yellow, Green, and White wires. If you look at the harness that connects to the switch on each, Black goes to the "On" setting (switched to the Left from this view), and Yellow goes to the "Door" setting (switched to the Right from this view). The difference on the switch harness is the "Off" position. In the old one, Green goes to "Off", and in the new one, White goes to "Off". If fact, in the old one, Green from the harness goes directly to the bottom terminal of the center bulb, and there is another Green wire from top terminal of the center bulb that goes to the "Off" position from the switch harness. In the new one, White seems to be split and go to both the center position of the switch harness AND separately to the top terminal of the center bulb, while Green goes only to the bottom terminal of the center bulb.

So, as I type this, it seems to make sense to me that Green is actually a "return" of sorts, and might be the wire that doesn't apply to me. Perhaps Green is the wire that just completes a circuit to another connected light in newer models and kills that circuit for all connected lights when the center dome light is switched to "Off", like, maybe, the center dome light is the "Master" switch of sorts. It really feels like I need to disregard the color of the wires, and just connect the wires as they relate to positions on the switch harness. I might try to find male & female terminals that I can connect to each wire, so that I can just plug and unplug in different combinations until I find the right ones. Then, I'll just cap off the wire that doesn't apply.

Please let me know what you geniuses of electrical engineering think about all of this, or skip any commentary, and tell me exactly what I need to do.

Thanks so much!!!

21. Nov 13, 2023 at 1:36 PM
    ColoRADo Sick-oya

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    Vehicle:
    CASE CLOSED! Thanks @RainMan_PNW! You were absolutely correct about matching the colors!! I thought I was smart, so I connected the Green to the White, initially, and the Blacks to each other and Yellows to each other. That successfully blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse and went Green to Green (thereby matching all of the colors) and, low and behold, everything works perfectly. You're the MAN!

22. Nov 16, 2023 at 9:13 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for the slow reply - been out of town this week. The factory diagrams do not show the colors within the actual unit - only those for the wiring harness that connects to it. But the results are the same - the wire terminal positions for the three wires you matched up are the same:
    1 - Black (W-B on the truck side of the connector)
    2 - Yellow (White on the truck side)
    3 - Green (Red on the truck side)

glad you got it working!

23. Dec 7, 2023 at 8:15 AM
    Sanctifiedsinner

Sanctifiedsinner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfredo
    Vehicle:
    2011 platinum sequoia
    Too many to list…
    Wow, big thanks Rainman! Now I can troubleshoot my a/c blower motor not turning on. Keep up the good work!

24. Jan 4, 2024 at 8:48 PM
    Whitepony

Whitepony New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Sequoia
    @RainMan_PNW 2008 Sequoia Limited JBL Radio Swap

Thanks for posting the wiring schematics. And for hunting all of that down for us. That is incredibly helpful, and I'm grateful.
    I owned a 2003 Sequoia (which died of Frame Rot) and a 2006 Sequoia (which did when my daughter mated it with the rear end of the pickup truck driving in front of her). I just picked up a 2008 with low miles and the only problem with the vehicle is that someone replaced the factory radio with an aftermarket Kenwood. But they didn't balance the fader before doing the install, and they didn't hook up the steering wheel controls. (Luckily, they were really good about keeping stuff and they threw the original radio head unit in the vehicle when they sold it, so I should be able to put it back in and zero out the faders and balance. I was impressed that they kept the old radio head.)

I picked up a new touchscreen head unit and a license plate rear camera, and plan to swap out the kenwood for a new unit. After purchasing everything from Crutchfield (the Head Unit, SWC adapter for steering wheel control, USB charge port/connect to swap for the cigarette lighter, and the License Plate mounted rear camera), I did some additional exploring and found that Toyota simply puts a blank camera plug in the rear tailgate where the optional factory camera would have been. It turns out that Toyota runs the actual backup camera harness as usual, and simply plugs it into the back of the blank plug. Anyone with a 20208 Sequoia Limited w/o backup camera already has a complete harness in place. Maybe everyone already knew this, but I wasn't expecting it. I'm debating returning the license plate mounted camera (with RCA plugs) and picking up the original Toyota camera (or aftermarket replacement). It will cost more, but it will be a clean install, and save me from having to fish a 20 foot RCA cable from the back to the front of the vehicle. The only hiccup might be that the aftermarket camera uses an RCA Jack and the Toyota uses the wiring harness, which I assume means that it is digital. That's where your wiring harness might really help me out. I have to figure out how to get the original Toyota Camera signal from the wiring harness to talk with the aftermarket head unit. (Any insight would be appreciated!)

25. Jan 4, 2024 at 9:10 PM
    Whitepony

Whitepony New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Sequoia
    @RainMan_PNW
    Your schematic is great! The Rear Camera connector in the tailgate on the 2008 Sequoia is V17 on pages 642 & 643. Since I have the head unit, I should be able to piece together what each of the ports on the radio are for. The trick will still be to get the new after market head unit to understand the digital signal from the camera...

26. Jan 4, 2024 at 10:21 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    Does your rig have the steering wheel controls? If so, go with a Maestro RR steering wheel kit. It should have what you need to adapt the rear camera to the RCA jack of the head unit.

27. Jan 12, 2024 at 8:40 AM
    lonesouth

lonesouth New Member

Member:
    Great info. I'm replacing the E7026 JBL Navigation in my 2012 platinum and for the life of me I can't find the satellite antenna wires. I've deduced that the grey connector for the factory radio is the GPS antenna, but is not standard. Best I can tell, the satellite radio antenna goes into a harness in the 86960-0C041-D1 assembly, labeled as Antenna Cord Sub-Assembly, but I don't see where it goes from there. Looking at your diagram, it shows the amplified antenna assembly(maybe the Antenna Cord Sub-Assembly) I23 connecting to what I think is the 20 pin I 20 on pin 13. Any help is appreciated!

28. Jan 12, 2024 at 9:26 AM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    I23 shows that it is behind the radio (page 625 of the document). It is an antenna amplifier that the shark-fin antenna harness would route to, but by itself it is a single connector.
    upload_2024-1-12_9-19-55.png
    That wire from I23 then routes to pin 13 on connector I20
    upload_2024-1-12_9-21-35.png

Toyota is notorious for not showing good detail on their antenna wiring other than the simple "Location and Routing" diagrams (page 668).

lonesouth[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Feb 9, 2024 at 8:18 PM
    rohit_trd

rohit_trd New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota Sequoia HV SR5 4WD with TRD Off-Road
    Hi @RainMan_PNW - thanks for posting these.

Checking if you have the wiring diagrams for 2023 Sequoia?

30. Feb 9, 2024 at 8:22 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    Not yet. I need a weekend with nothing else going on to drop the $30 it will take me to pull down everything for 2023 and 2024.

Products Discussed in

To Top